Does Oxbridge live up to the hype? Watch

This discussion is closed.
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tagzt)
oh its better, nothing like walking through the town on a foggy day wen you get some amazing views. the whole town just has a certain atmosphere which is incredible, best part of studying here.
Apart from bloody Cornmarket Street. Just about the ugliest street you could possibly imagine stuck in the middle of a gorgeous medieval university town. Yuck! Oh and then there's Cowley Road, aka little Amsterdam! You don't see these areas on the postcards lol!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nero076)
thats a shame, my offer is with st peters which is stuck right neat cornmarket street I think....
Not quite but very close. Don't worry it's not that bad. It's just some people seem to think that the city centre is all pretty buildaings and it's not.

kebab22
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Anuses like youself aside, I find it does live up to it.
You do as much work as you want to, obviously you are alot more conscientious. You can't blame the system when it is you.
J
There are some odd people on this forum, but you certainly top it off. You call someone an anus (in the plural which was interesting) merely for expressing an opinion about their own university, an opinion that in my expereience is widely held. Why do you get so emotional about Oxbridge? Surely there are better things to life to get so worked up about, I mean if your having such a great time and all why do you feel so threatened by the mildest of criticisms?

You interest me

You my friend are certainly anal (one of the anuses I think)
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cool, I have the right reasons for wanting to goto Cam. Best architecture I've seen at any university ever, amazingly nice people, intellectual stimulation.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Cool, I have the right reasons for wanting to goto Cam. Best architecture I've seen at any university ever,
Hmmm, doesn't sound like an especially good reason to me. I don't really see it any more, except for the view from outside college which is always amazing.

fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Hmmm, doesn't sound like an especially good reason to me. I don't really see it any more, except for the view from outside college which is always amazing.

Just the view from a room in memorial court, Clare, compared to one from overpriced student accomodation anywhere else, it's amazing, surely got to be a motivating factor? (Also, the fact that you can actually stay in the college for your course instead of going private).
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just the view from a room in memorial court, Clare, compared to one from overpriced student accomodation anywhere else, it's amazing, surely got to be a motivating factor? (Also, the fact that you can actually stay in the college for your course instead of going private).
Yes but a friend of mine at Clare lives in an attic and has a view onto a wall. Loads of people apply to Christ Church Oxford because they want a view out across the meadows and end up in the Blue Boar looking out onto the council bins across the road.

fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes but a friend of mine at Clare lives in an attic and has a view onto a wall. Loads of people apply to Christ Church Oxford because they want a view out across the meadows and end up in the Blue Boar looking out onto the council bins across the road.

Yes but the Clare attics are bigger and nicer than most university accomodation, and whilst I can't vouch for the wall, I can think of less attractive things to see from your window, my bus to college goes past some of the manchester university flats everyday, if I'm on the top floor of a double decker, I can usually see them eating their cereal, or waiting to use the bathroom. Would you rather look at a wall, or a double decker bus full of people watching you eat? :P

Even those who do have delusions about where they'll be staying in Christ Church, they still enjoy the experience of walking through the courtyard a few times a day, and eating in the great hall.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Even those who do have delusions about where they'll be staying in Christ Church, they still enjoy the experience of walking through the courtyard a few times a day, and eating in the great hall.
...the novelty of which usually wears off after about 10 minutes :rolleyes:

fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Still, a huge lifestyle change from living in a 30 story block of student flats less than half the size of those at Clare, then being kicked out into skanky private accomodation.
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hilda you obviously know a fair bit about the colleges; what is your honest opinion of st peters?

cheers
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hilda you obviously know a fair bit about the colleges; what is your honest opinion of st peters?

cheers
I'm probably not the best person to ask because I had a bad experience of Peter's (nasty interviewer) but the people I've met seem really down to earth and generally friendly. It's got a bit of a reputation for being a party college as far as I can gather. The location's not brilliant as it's smack bang in the middle of the main shopping area and away from the main university areas, but I guess that depends on your priorities. The rugby team are known to be a bit, erm, 'enthusiastic' when it comes to partying and I think it's generally quite a male-dominated college (but nothing like as extreme as Oriel). Oh and be aware that it's a fairly poor college, meaning no accomodation for most 2nd years and maybe relatively high rents. What subject are you going to do???

Tifa
Report 16 years ago

For some people maybe, me included actually, I don't have a particuarily high regard for pretty bits of wall.

BUT, I think for some people, a beautiful courtyard can never have it's magic worn down. basically I think everyone will have a slightly different response to Oxbridge, socially, environmentally and academically.

With the the incredible gusto some people have for Oxbridge, esp on this forum, I think it would be almost impossible for it to live up to the hype.

But that still doesn't mean that it could be the best place you can spend three years getting a degree - the key is to judge from a personal and non-rose-tinted window.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
amazingly nice people

hehe, I want my room back! Do you think the person living there at the moment would swap?

To be honest I think it's the Old Court west and south facing rooms and Kings' north facing rooms that have the best views!

Alaric.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i am having doubts about oxford, not sure if its the course ( workload that is, not the content) or the college of the fact that its oxford (having said that, didnt notice too many toffs at st peters i have to say)
Don't worry too much about the workload. Most people find it a shock but they can handle it. Also in terms of tutorials, PPEists have it made. At Hilda's they get so much less work than me, even though it's tripartite. Remember you can drop one of the subjects after Prelims if you want (most people do). SPC's not too bad and it's full of 'normal' people so I wouldn't worry too much, and Oxford is a generally nice place to live as a student.

scanner
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dopey)
Hi, here's a question for all the people already @ Oxbridge (esp Cam). Once you're there studying does it live up to your expectations, exceed them or disappoints you? (or are you too stressed and busy to even think about it) Any responses would be gr8, thanx!
Yes it does but like anywhere there are things that irritate, annoy and depress at times. Having lived in Cambridge for a few years when I was at school and then gone to Oxford I can vouch for both as special places.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't worry too much about the workload. Most people find it a shock but they can handle it. Also in terms of tutorials, PPEists have it made. At Hilda's they get so much less work than me, even though it's tripartite. Remember you can drop one of the subjects after Prelims if you want (most people do). SPC's not too bad and it's full of 'normal' people so I wouldn't worry too much, and Oxford is a generally nice place to live as a student.

what subject do u study?
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
what subject do u study?
Philosophy and theology.

tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Anuses like youself aside, I find it does live up to it.
You do as much work as you want to, obviously you are alot more conscientious. You can't blame the system when it is you.
J

i bet ur one of these saddo's who loves oxbridge because if he were at any other universities his geekiness wud b beaten out of him with a stick. hildabeast was expressing fact, those of us with a bit of personality dnt like having to work so hard but that doesnt mean we're not having a gd time...u on the other hand properly never go out anyway so ur quite happy to have plenty of work.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
No I am not conscientious; I don't do nearly as much as I should. My subject is heavily based upon reading and I have major exams at the end of term, but I know I don't do nearly enough. I find the work really demanding, and although you can do as much as you like, if you do too little you WILL be sent down.

Literally, my experience has been (and nearly all the people i know have the same experience) that if you do very little you get a 3rd or 2.2. If you do alot then you get a 1st. If you find what you are happy with, and the level of work to get that, then you'll have a happy medium. For me that means getting a low 2.1 (which requires less work than a high2.1, but looks the same ona CV. Tad bit risky though)
I know of some people that really struggle, but I'm really sorry to say that these are usually people who got in when they possibly shouldn't. You have to remember that interviews aren't designed to get the best students just to make the uni/college look better - its not in the students interests to be 'in over their head'
J
PS This sounds so arrogant, but I couldn't find another way to phrase it

And for kebab - an anus (plural anuses) is someone who works too hard. It isn't a insult like n*b etc. Generally you'll find that an anus is someone who works alot harder than they need to, and complain about it. Scoail interaction is often lost as a result. Often anuses have a deep dislike of those freakily lucky people who combine brill results with social lives.

And for tagzt - my whole point is that i do go out. There is so much work I should do, and could do. But I know where to draw the line. I know how much i need to do to get a 2.1, and i do that much and no more. If I wanted to i could get a 1st, but it would require me to work a damn lot more, go out less etc.
In the end i will be a doctor, I just figure university is an experience not to be repeated, and i want to enjoy it whilst im young. AS for the geekiness beaten out with a stick...I'm doubting it. I often visit friends at other universities and have never had trouble yet.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads