Does Oxbridge live up to the hype? Watch

This discussion is closed.
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've never heard that definition of the word 'anus' before and I certainly don't take kindly to being called one.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
I've never heard that definition of the word 'anus' before and I certainly don't take kindly to being called one.

Well it's a term rife in CAmbridge, but as far as I know we used to say it in school, and certainly peeps from London and manchester use it too.
J
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Well it's a term rife in CAmbridge, but as far as I know we used to say it in school, and certainly peeps from London and manchester use it too.
J
:confused:

hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Those people who say it doesn't live up to the hype, I take your point and you're probably right (I don't go there so I'll take your word for it). But do you still like it? Given the chance again would you still go to Oxford/Cambridge?
Kalypso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
certainly peeps from London and manchester use it too.
J
I've never heard it before (SE London...)
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Those people who say it doesn't live up to the hype, I take your point and you're probably right (I don't go there so I'll take your word for it). But do you still like it? Given the chance again would you still go to Oxford/Cambridge?
Sure - I am really happy in Oxford. But I don't think that is necessarily because it is Oxford; I just like student lifestyle and the subject I am studying. I am almost 100% sure that if I had gone to any of the other universities taht I applied to, I would have settled in and enjoyed them just as much.
Schmelen
Report 16 years ago
certainly peeps from London and manchester use it too.
J
hmmm... i am from manchester and have certainly never heard it used in the context you mean, sorry.
Specialheffa
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
From East London... you call someone an anus they will bust yr nose! lol
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just going back to the original question - yes, I actually think it does. There are amazing opportunities, the teaching I've found to be superb on the whole, the city is gorgeous and the people are wonderful. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. The work might cause me to have a nervous breakdown at some point, of course, but I reckon it'd be worth it (Joking aside, the workload is tough and heavy but it's not unbearable, and it gets much easier once you begin to settle into a routine - I found it very hard at first, but you get yourself sorted and then it's OK.)
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Just going back to the original question - yes, I actually think it does. There are amazing opportunities, the teaching I've found to be superb on the whole, the city is gorgeous and the people are wonderful. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. The work might cause me to have a nervous breakdown at some point, of course, but I reckon it'd be worth it (Joking aside, the workload is tough and heavy but it's not unbearable, and it gets much easier once you begin to settle into a routine - I found it very hard at first, but you get yourself sorted and then it's OK.)
Precisely. 'On the whole' I presume is a reference to the esteemed Dr. Martin. How are your exams going, by the way?

Ben
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
Precisely. 'On the whole' I presume is a reference to the esteemed Dr. Martin. How are your exams going, by the way?

Ben

Oh god! I have my mock exam tomorrow afternoon and I know NOTHING. Ah well, at least it's only a mock (And yes I know I could be revising rather than on here but I'm... taking a break...)
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh god! I have my mock exam tomorrow afternoon and I know NOTHING. Ah well, at least it's only a mock (And yes I know I could be revising rather than on here but I'm... taking a break...)
Don't worry about it! Everyone knows 'nothing' - it's pretty hard to remember all of the stuff in biology! I find that when I'm up on my cells, physiology suffers etc. Even the real ones count for nothing - which is nice (you can probably tell from my optimism that I don't have exams at the minute...)!

Ben
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't worry about it! Everyone knows 'nothing' - it's pretty hard to remember all of the stuff in biology! I find that when I'm up on my cells, physiology suffers etc. Even the real ones count for nothing - which is nice (you can probably tell from my optimism that I don't have exams at the minute...)!

Ben

Damn you!

The real ones count for nothing except for the small fact that if you fail they throw you out...
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Damn you!

The real ones count for nothing except for the small fact that if you fail they throw you out...
It's quite hard to fail! I would've much rather had exams than the essays I was set over Christmas. My DOS practically made me learn everything about genetics!

Ben
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's quite hard to fail! I would've much rather had exams than the essays I was set over Christmas. My DOS practically made me learn everything about genetics!

Ben

Ah well, at least you won't have to go to as many cells lectures now then!
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
J
So what if it's a popular word where you come from? It was such an unnecessary thing to say - Hildabeast was was only answering truthfully!
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lurker)
So what if it's a popular word where you come from? It was such an unnecessary thing to say - Hildabeast was was only answering truthfully!
As was I. I could have just said 'she's just a work obsessed geek' but that doesn't cover what I mean. Anyone can become an anus, its a psycological condition.

J
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
But do you still like it? Given the chance again would you still go to Oxford/Cambridge?
**** yes, I don't think it lives up to what people hype it to be, but it's definitely worth going for. A walk along the backs always reminds me of that! I'd define go for it again, it r0x0r!!!1ONE
just because it isn't the be all and end all doesn't mean it's not worth bothering about!
damn I'm drunk, damn that belgian 9% weiss bier!

Alaric.
Canada Girl
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
**** yes, I don't think it lives up to what people hype it to be, but it's definitely worth going for. A walk along the backs always reminds me of that! I'd define go for it again, it r0x0r!!!1ONE
just because it isn't the be all and end all doesn't mean it's not worth bothering about!
damn I'm drunk, damn that belgian 9% weiss bier!

Alaric.
you're hilarious
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Nope, doesn't live up to the hype that people on this board give it. Can be very anal at times.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Once again we disagree on this one... I say yes, Oxbridge totally lives up to the hype. There's so many amazing opportunities here. Yes the workload is insane but mates at other unis complain abt being bored and having nothing to do, here you have a feeling of being always productive. That said wherever you go, if you want to succeed you will.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
31.82%
No (13)
59.09%
Don't know (2)
9.09%

Watched Threads