Is A Level English Literature hard? Watch

louiseyoung
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Ok, so i got my GCSE results and i got an A*, and i'm looking for advice off people who have done/doing the course.

I enjoy reading and like poetry, so i think that i will be ok (i wasn't expecting an A*, i was expecting an A).

I really enjoyed the GCSE course (AQA), and it was my 2nd favourite subject

Advice will be much appriciated - rep to best answer

Thanks xx
AmiB
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It really depends on the exam board you take it with, it is a big jump from GCSE Lit to AS/ALEVEL though. Well done on your result
Firaila
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You do have to learn quite a lot for the exam tbh, but your grade suggests you are capable of handling it. If you enjoy reading and poetry then by all means go for it
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's easy yes, but incredibly boring and frustrating.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Firaila)
You do have to learn quite a lot for the exam tbh, but your grade suggests you are capable of handling it. If you enjoy reading and poetry then by all means go for it
Not really. It's easy enough to completely blag.
QED
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by paddy__power)
Yes. If you're not good at blagging, you'll have to work hard to get a good grade.
Firaila
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Maybe for you, but many people in my class certainly couldn't blag an A or A*

Did you enjoy English Lit at GCSE?
English lit geek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was in the exact same situation as you two years ago and I decided to take English at A level. I was really glad I did. I loved it. There is a lot of work but as long as you enjoy reading, you will be fine.
Nahdrav
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Easy enough to get mediocre grades in, but if youre aiming for As/A*s youll need a real passion for the subject .
Tuppenny
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I found it incredibly easy, but (at the risk of sounding arrogant) I've always found English lit easy. If you've got an A* at GCSE you should be fine. I think the important thing is that you enjoy reading. Several people on my English lit course at uni used to moan about reading so many course books, which is just ridiculous. It's a reading subject.
Cross_Your_Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You sound as if you'd enjoy the subject and be good at it if you have a natural analytical ability and a good writing style it definitely helps. It's fairly hard but not impossible by any means to get a good grade - I got an A* after working really hard for the exams, but the coursework is farily easy.
louiseyoung
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by AmiB)
It really depends on the exam board you take it with, it is a big jump from GCSE Lit to AS/ALEVEL though. Well done on your result
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by QED)
Yes. If you're not good at blagging, you'll have to work hard to get a good grade.
Only if you can't write well. I didn't even pick up the book at A2 and still got an A. Of course the arguemnt could be made that had I bothered I would ahve got A* but that's irrelevant to how easy it is.

My point about it being frustrating stands.

Also: Hi =D
Woffles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah its good, I've really enjoyed the poetry section in particular. The novels may be a bit tedious though, but its definetely a well respected subject and judging by your A* at GCSE you may find it quite straightforward.
itsmagic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm still doing GCSEs so I may not be much help but I've heard it's very hard and tedious.. however, if you enjoy reading and poetry, then go for it! Plus it sounds as if you will be more than capable of it as you got an A* at GCSE
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Firaila)
Maybe for you, but many people in my class certainly couldn't blag an A or A*

Did you enjoy English Lit at GCSE?
I didn't do it at GCSE I don't think. If I did then no.
Meekle72
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I didn't revise a lot, did both AS and A2 in a year and just missed out on a B by a few marks. It really is quite straightforward.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have to point out that the fact someone gets A* at GCSE does not mean they will do well at A level as it's different. Not more difficult as such, just different.
QED
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Only if you can't write well. I didn't even pick up the book at A2 and still got an A. Of course the arguemnt could be made that had I bothered I would ahve got A* but that's irrelevant to how easy it is.

My point about it being frustrating stands.

Also: Hi =D
I read 'relevant sections' of my texts at A2. I did enjoy it though, because it turned out that it didn't really matter whether I read a text in massive depth (so texts I disliked I didn't bother with too much). But when I enjoyed a text I read it properly and gained enjoyment from the A level. And I blagged the exam. It was wonderful.
jfox223
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
English Literature was easily my favourite subject, although Biology certainly vied for that position! If you enjoy closely analysing a given text, and generally constructing abstract ideas about poetry/prose ('blagging':p:), this could be your subject There's a lot of quotation learning too, although that's largely dependent on particular exam boards...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
31.92%
The paper was reasonable (405)
49.15%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
11.17%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
7.77%

Watched Threads