The Student Room Group

Is A Level English Literature hard?

Scroll to see replies

Farooqi bean
Definitely agree with the first part, it's no guarantee, although gettin an A* at GCSE does indicate you've got some kind of an ability in it.Not really, it indicates - if anything - that you may have worked hard.

OP, It's much more difficult than GCSE , at the former you can get away with essentially writing 'pretty fluff'You can at A level as well, I did, the latter demands a precision to detail, a much wider vocabulary, an understanding of social/historical/cultural contexts, an ability to understand the subtleties of the text and clearly explain them, inclusion of accurate critical quotes and book referencing etc etc etcNot really, these things can help but are only needed at a basic and very superficial level. And if you want an A*, a genuinely beautiful writing styleLol, no. I know loads of people who got A* and their writing is prosaic and far from impressively cogent. It may help, but it's certainly not a prerequisite combined with a very rigid hitting of the AO'sThis bit is very true and by far the best advice that can be given pertaining to A levels. and NO WAFFLING!No, this is fine as well - it just means you have less time to hit the AOs

Put it this way, at GCSE i could write an A* essay without planning it, in a half hour/45 mins, not even really paying much attention.

I tried the same at AS, which is the easiest part of the A level syllabus and ended up with a B. Which was a kick up the ass and prompted me to dedicate the vast amount of my revision to Eng Lit in order to finally get the A* at A2.Well done

There is a significant difference. But if you're intelligent, eloquent and essay orientated (and have very strong hands) you will do well.

I have bolded a few points I cba to make.
lattywatty
I worked pretty damn hard for the coursework, but by the time it got to starting the exam texts I had already earnt my place as teacher's pet (after getting full marks on coursework) so got away with doing very little for the rest of the year :biggrin:

Well whatever works for you :smile:
Reply 62
paddy__power
It is almost always broken, just most people don't realise it through lack of perspicacity - but aye they will teach you how to get through the hoops :smile:

I'd say the opposite, our teacher taught us a lot about literature and neglected to tell us how to jump through the hoops, consequently most of the intelligent students got Cs.

I'd far prefer a teacher to point me towards the hoops, as at the end of the day an A is all that matters.
Congrats on your A*.

It's an A level, so it's going to be a step up from GCSE, but you'll be fine if you have a genuine interest in it. Unless you're super talented, be prepared to read a lot!
paella
I'd say the opposite, our teacher taught us a lot about literature and neglected to tell us how to jump through the hoops, consequently most of the intelligent students got Cs.

I'd far prefer a teacher to point me towards the hoops, as at the end of the day an A is all that matters.

If they were intelligent they would have spent a short while reading the relevant parts of the specification and taught themselves how to get through the hoops. I would have much preferred your teacher.
Reply 65
paddy__power
I have bolded a few points I cba to make.

Paddy, then you are one of the few people i know (kinda) who got away with writing 'pretty' in the exam and coming out with an a (you are either talented or had a very lenient examiner, well done :biggrin: ).

Being good at GCSE English doesn't mean a great deal imo, in hindsight it really isn't very difficult , anyone with an ability to structure a decent essay can get a b minimum. And to succeed at A level, you do need to have an awareness of those contexts, nowhere near as in depth as say history, but you really need to know your specific areas if you want a strong A/A*, the people who didn't do this in my class (including me) got b's max. I am surprised at some of your comments Paddy :eek: , if i wrote a slap dash essay, which wasn't pleasing to read, phonologically or in regards to syntax then i knew i'd get a lower grade. I would sometimes look at classmates work when submitting essays, wherever i say clumsy expression i later saw a lower grade.

OP, A level English is a different kettle of fish, it actually requires talent and/or hard work, o.k so some naturally able people on this thread may have gotten away with very little revision/not reading the book and still gained an a, bear in mind they are not going to be representative of a typical class, (I sometimes think the collective brain power of tsr could force a global takeover if they tried), and if you actually want an A*, then unless you are a genius, you are going to have to read the material thoroughly, practice ********* of essays (esp in 2 weeks run up to the exam ) and reference/quote like crazy. Oh and have a good memory, the exams at A2 level are closed text.

If you like reading though, and enjoy discussion and stimulation, then it's the subject for you :smile:
Reply 66
TheMeister
how were your ASs? if you mind me asking.... just that I'll be applying to Emma next few weeks :p:

AAAB, but got away with the B due to 90%+ average in the 3 other subjects:smile: O, and I was pooled from Jesus:biggrin:
Farooqi bean
Then you are one of the few people i know (kinda) who got away with writing 'pretty' in the exam and coming out with an a (you are either talented or had a very lenient examiner, well done :biggrin: ).

OP being good at GCSE English doesn't mean a great deal imo, in hindsight it really isn't very difficult , anyone with an ability to structure a decent essay can get a b minimum.

A level English is a different kettle of fish, it actually requires talent and/or hard work, o.k so some naturally able people on this thread may have gotten away with very little revision/not reading the book and still gained an a, bear in mind they are not going to be representative of a typical class, (I sometimes think the collective brain power of tsr could force a global takeover if they tried), and if you actually want an A*, then unless you are a genius, you are going to have to read the material thoroughly, practice ********* of essay (esp in 2 weeks run up to the exam ) and reference/quote like crazy. Oh and have a good memory, the exams at A2 level are closed text.

If you like reading though, and enjoy discussion and stimulation, then it's the subject for you :smile:

Aye, perhaps. I are what I are.
Reply 68
paddy__power
If they were intelligent they would have spent a short while reading the relevant parts of the specification and taught themselves how to get through the hoops. I would have much preferred your teacher.

When teachers mark on opinion of a good essay rather than a exam board mark scheme, it becomes rather difficult for one to be aware of the hoops. Luckily most of our class has realized the teachers are largely hopeless for getting grades after our ASs, and can now dedicate however much time is needed on the specification and other things.
jfox223
AAAB, but got away with the B due to 90%+ average in the 3 other subjects:smile: O, and I was pooled from Jesus:biggrin:

oooh nice, I'm somewhere in between the two atm - Emma has edged it though I think

not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but I'm getting kind of worried now that these results I've got won't see me through :bandit:
paella
When teachers mark on opinion of a good essay rather than a exam board mark scheme, it becomes rather difficult for one to be aware of the hoops. Luckily most of our class has realized the teachers are largely hopeless for getting grades after our ASs, and can now dedicate however much time is needed on the specification and other things.

One should always be aware of the specifics of a qualification you're doing should you wish to do well in it. This said, as long as they all do well in the end then it's largely irrelevant.
Firaila
You do have to learn quite a lot for the exam tbh, but your grade suggests you are capable of handling it. If you enjoy reading and poetry then by all means go for it :smile:

I agree
It bored the hell out of me. Ended up with a C with little effort
And i was amazed at how little work had to be put in to get a good grade for coursework
Reply 74
I got an A by just reading sparknotes and wikipedia without reading the actual texts (didn't even buy them). And i'm not showing off, it's just that easy to blag.
Reply 75
well, I'm the brightest of sparks, and literally no revision got be 155/200 at AS. (A grade B)
So yes, it is.
I think you need to be good at blagging, basically.

I've heard A2 is hard though :s
Reply 76
i'm not sure if i want to do it...
i'm a very slow writer--not slow enough to get extra time and i do generally manage to finish on time but that is only because i start writing pretty much as soon as we are allowed to, and have no time for planning etc.
i do igcse for english lit so we have to memorise quotes for that too, but i don't know whether i can memorise loads as we haven't done a proper mock yet. i got a C in my text-based one last year but an A* for poetry... maybe it was because i memorised one poem and coincidentally, i picked a good one given the questions in the paper and if i had tried harder for the text i could have done better..? but i could just be good at poetry, where i basically make everything up and doing the prose and drama sections could be an utter disaster?
any advice??
Original post by smooshh
i'm not sure if i want to do it...
i'm a very slow writer--not slow enough to get extra time and i do generally manage to finish on time but that is only because i start writing pretty much as soon as we are allowed to, and have no time for planning etc.
i do igcse for english lit so we have to memorise quotes for that too, but i don't know whether i can memorise loads as we haven't done a proper mock yet. i got a C in my text-based one last year but an A* for poetry... maybe it was because i memorised one poem and coincidentally, i picked a good one given the questions in the paper and if i had tried harder for the text i could have done better..? but i could just be good at poetry, where i basically make everything up and doing the prose and drama sections could be an utter disaster?
any advice??

My advice is not to randomly neg people for posts expressing non-offensive opinions. :rolleyes:
Reply 78
Original post by paddy__power
My advice is not to randomly neg people for posts expressing non-offensive opinions. :rolleyes:

wow that's mature, do it to mine...
Original post by smooshh
wow that's mature, do it to mine...

If you are going to neg me for no good reason you should expect it back.

Good luck with your qualification(s).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending