The Student Room Group

Is A Level English Literature hard?

Scroll to see replies

This thread was a good read so cheers for the contribution.

Sorry to steal your thread, Smosh, but I'm also wondering just how hard Lit actually is because many have said it had a large workload. I also got an A* at GCSE Literature, but I took English Language instead because I thought Universities preferred it due to the theoretical aspect -- oh, how I was wrong. However, my school doesn't offer both English Lang and Lit because they're in the same block, so I wanted to do the entire English Literature A-Level in one year with Distance Learning. I'm wondering if this is manageable and advised?
Original post by Id and Ego seek
This thread was a good read so cheers for the contribution.

Sorry to steal your thread, Smosh, but I'm also wondering just how hard Lit actually is because many have said it had a large workload. I also got an A* at GCSE Literature, but I took English Language instead because I thought Universities preferred it due to the theoretical aspect -- oh, how I was wrong. However, my school doesn't offer both English Lang and Lit because they're in the same block, so I wanted to do the entire English Literature A-Level in one year with Distance Learning. I'm wondering if this is manageable and advised?

I don't think that Literature is a particularly hard A-Level. I also don't think that it can be described as having a 'large workload'. As with any A-Level, the workload is to an extent as large as one makes it. If you are prepared to put in the extra reading and intensive learning and understanding of texts, plus practice essays, clearly the workload shall be larger than if you only revise a few weeks prior to the examination and coursework dates. Furthermore, the workload also depends on your teacher to a large extent. Some teachers prefer setting lots of essays and mini-tests; others prefer one essay a month and leave learning to you.

I don't know whether it's advisable, because I can't speak for your work ethic. Whilst I personally would never advise attempting to undergo an entire A-Level in one-year, it's obviously not impossible and if you were prepared to devote the required time to mastering the course, it could be done. It is manageable, but with a lot of effort, I should say.
Original post by louiseyoung
Ok, so i got my GCSE results and i got an A*, and i'm looking for advice off people who have done/doing the course.

I enjoy reading and like poetry, so i think that i will be ok (i wasn't expecting an A*, i was expecting an A).

I really enjoyed the GCSE course (AQA), and it was my 2nd favourite subject :smile:

Advice will be much appriciated - rep to best answer :biggrin:

Thanks xx

If you really do enjoy reading, you will probably find it ok. There's a lot more hoop-jumping at A-level than GCSE as well, so it is quite clinical, but you get used to that.
Not at all, not trying to trigger anyone but from my personal experience my friends who do sciences have a much harder time and don't go out to party. I go out all the time and still manage to get A's and sometimes A* but it's only happened 2 times (the a*)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending