Can M1 be learnt from now to june properly? Watch

This discussion is closed.
edufly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
We will be shortly starting M1 in time for the june exam. And I was wondering whether it can be learnt from now to june or is it a 1 year course?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It can be done in a matter of weeks if you're a bright class, should never take more than 2-3 months.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
We will be shortly starting M1 in time for the june exam. And I was wondering whether it can be learnt from now to june or is it a 1 year course?
Should be no problem. I have self taught myself D1 in two months. I should be getting my marks very soon.
edufly
Rep:
?
(Original post by fishpaste)
It can be done in a matter of weeks if you're a bright class, should never take more than 2-3 months.
Well thats very reassuring to me as I am dreading my maths exams in june. I have M1, P3, S1, S2 and maybe P2 and P1 if I dont do aswell in them now.

S2 I haven't even been taught properly so I will have to learn it myself although I hear it is one easy exam paper.

And I'm glad my college offered the option of me being able to take exams throughout the 2 years rather than doing every single exam at the end of the A2 year.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well thats very reassuring to me as I am dreading my maths exams in june. I have M1, P3, S1, S2 and maybe P2 and P1 if I dont do aswell in them now.

S2 I haven't even been taught properly so I will have to learn it myself although I hear it is one easy exam paper.

And I'm glad my college offered the option of me being able to take exams throughout the 2 years rather than doing every single exam at the end of the A2 year.
S2 is less pure mathematics, so if you prefer hypothesis testing, probability, binomial distributions, etc then you should be alright.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did P1,P2,P3,S1,S2 and D1. I started M1 in September and it was very different to anything i had done before. I only did it for about a month before i stopped (which was for an un-related reason). From what i found for the short space of time i did it, M1 is not mathematically challenging, but you have to be able to interpret all the deails well; in order to draw a good diagram and get the question right. So my point in short, it's not hard like Pure aths but you're going to have to practise a lot of questions to get used to the format and diagrams.
edufly
Rep:
?
(Original post by G4ry)
I did P1,P2,P3,S1,S2 and D1. I started M1 in September and it was very different to anything i had done before. I only did it for about a month before i stopped (which was for an un-related reason). From what i found for the short space of time i did it, M1 is not mathematically challenging, but you have to be able to interpret all the deails well; in order to draw a good diagram and get the question right. So my point in short, it's not hard like Pure aths but you're going to have to practise a lot of questions to get used to the format and diagrams.
Well most ppl I know doing it are also doing physics but I am not and I was in foundation for gcse science although I was higher material.

But I suppose practice makes perfect
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I didn't do A level Physics either, from what i did of M1 physics did not seem like an essential pre-requisite.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you should have NO problem whatsover with M1. It is basically slightly harder GCSE maths questions using SUVAT equations....... should take no more than a month to learn at most....
capslock
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
you should have NO problem whatsover with M1. It is basically slightly harder GCSE maths questions using SUVAT equations....... should take no more than a month to learn at most....
Eh? Slightly harder GCSE questions in M1? Are you off you're bollox? It bares no comparison. Not sure what GCSE maths you did buddy
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Mathematically it's slightly higher than GCSE level, however the questions are much more challenging due to the detail in the questions and the importance of drawing a labelled diagram.
edufly
Rep:
?
(Original post by capslock)
Eh? Slightly harder GCSE questions in M1? Are you off you're bollox? It bares no comparison. Not sure what GCSE maths you did buddy
Well from now to june I will be working my ass off to get into Lancaster.
And because I know the exams are finale I will be fully prepared from them than any other exam b4.

Also, how is it that people say M1 is harder than the likes of P2 or even P3 or is that complete rubbish!?
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
M1 takes 2 months tops.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well from now to june I will be working my ass off to get into Lancaster.
And because I know the exams are finale I will be fully prepared from them than any other exam b4.

Also, how is it that people say M1 is harder than the likes of P2 or even P3 or is that complete rubbish!?
'Your avin a laf, aint cha?'

P2 and P3 are a lot hader and whoever told you M1 is easy in comparisson, needs to get their head checked out.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by capslock)
see the post below you....... the only thing extra in M1 is that you draw and resolve diagrams to get certain expressions which are all quadratics of some form. You then solve the quadratic to get your answer.... all you do is a bit of extra thinking, it's not new mathematics at all.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
'Your avin a laf, aint cha?'

P2 and P3 are a lot hader and whoever told you M1 is easy in comparisson, needs to get their head checked out.
i think u mean hard in comparison.

Mechanics 1 isnt a difficult module, its about as hard as P1, just different. If u do Physics, its even better.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
i think u mean hard in comparison.

Mechanics 1 isnt a difficult module, its about as hard as P1, just different. If u do Physics, its even better.
Pedant.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
S2 is less pure mathematics, so if you prefer hypothesis testing, probability, binomial distributions, etc then you should be alright.
Probability is one of the purest forms of Mathematics.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Probability is one of the purest forms of Mathematics.
yep.

bigcnee, have you done M1?
was it ahrd, i.e.) compared to P1?

coz i am gonna start it soon, along side P2 (which i am over half way through)
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
yep.

bigcnee, have you done M1?
was it ahrd, i.e.) compared to P1?

coz i am gonna start it soon, along side P2 (which i am over half way through)
I did M1. I think M1 and P1 are comparable, but maybe M1 has newer concepts (unless you've done Physics).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads