Can M1 be learnt from now to june properly?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theone)
Well I've nearly done M2 by myself in only two weeks, so M1 definitely can be done!
2 weeks? lol.....u r joking, right?

its supposed to take 2 months.....
hattori
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
did it in 6 weeks of 4 hour lessons, that included all the past papers.

I think the time taken depends on if you have already done p1 and p2. And if all the class has done physics in yr11. Like all maths the idea is simple it's just the algebra and methods that will give you trouble.

Depends on the quality of your teacher too, if they are ones that bang on about examples or answer your queries with 'oh, you'll work it out when you do a some questions' then they are wasting your time.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well we did M1 from jan-jun and all got good grades so yes
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
We will be shortly starting M1 in time for the june exam. And I was wondering whether it can be learnt from now to june or is it a 1 year course?

You should have no problem doing 2 modules between now and june. My maths class will be and I'm not panicking about it :cool:
edufly
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
You should have no problem doing 2 modules between now and june. My maths class will be and I'm not panicking about it :cool:

I must say I am pleased by the positive replies.

Is there much variation in exams between exam boards. My maths board is Edexcel but I wouldn't imagine there would be much difference between P1, P2 , M1 etc as that would be too unfair.
Because I want to know what you are all saying is not based on your own exam board exams if you get my drift.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I must say I am pleased by the positive replies.

Is there much variation in exams between exam boards. My maths board is Edexcel but I wouldn't imagine there would be much difference between P1, P2 , M1 etc as that would be too unfair.
Because I want to know what you are all saying is not based on your own exam board exams if you get my drift.

I'm doing Edexcel too. Did you do P1 last week? What did you think?
chrisbphd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
M1 can be learnt in two weeks. It's GCSE physics mostly.
edufly
Rep:
?
I'm doing Edexcel too. Did you do P1 last week? What did you think?
That P1 exam was alot harder than the june exam however it still wasn't really difficult. In fact, the paper was even set out alot differently to many past papers I had done which makes me closer to beleiving jan retakes are made much harder than the june ones.

Have you P2 this monday as well?

Also, having done june 2003's p2 paper (2day) I realise just how easy that was!! Yet I only got 33/100 in it hence the retake!!!

I swear the maths papers aint even out of a 100, so why are they given as marks out of 100.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That P1 exam was alot harder than the june exam however it still wasn't really difficult. In fact, the paper was even set out alot differently to many past papers I had done which makes me closer to beleiving jan retakes are made much harder than the june ones.

Have you P2 this monday as well?

Also, having done june 2003's p2 paper (2day) I realise just how easy that was!! Yet I only got 33/100 in it hence the retake!!!

I swear the maths papers aint even out of a 100, so why are they given as marks out of 100.

I thought P1 was ok, nothing unexpected in it.
No, I'm doing P2 and S1 in June. (Don't like statistics very much, thank God we only have to do 1)
edufly
Rep:
?
I thought P1 was ok, nothing unexpected in it.
No, I'm doing P2 and S1 in June. (Don't like statistics very much, thank God we only have to do 1)

Yeh I postponed S1 to june as I am not prepared for it at all.
However, I may retake P2 and P1 again in june if I dont get the desired grades - at least a C from both.
I'm dreading S2 as we haven't been taught it properly and M1 as I will have to start learning it from now to june and I aint really a physics person.

Although I may have 6 maths exams to do in june, I count myself lucky I didn't have to retake any of my other AS's subjects now or in june.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeh I postponed S1 to june as I am not prepared for it at all.
However, I may retake P2 and P1 again in june if I dont get the desired grades - at least a C from both.
I'm dreading S2 as we haven't been taught it properly and M1 as I will have to start learning it from now to june and I aint really a physics person.

Although I may have 6 maths exams to do in june, I count myself lucky I didn't have to retake any of my other AS's subjects now or in june.

So are you doing further maths next year? I'm thinking of doing AS further maths, I'm currently in negotiations.
edufly
Rep:
?
So are you doing further maths next year? I'm thinking of doing AS further maths, I'm currently in negotiations.

Wait are you in your second year of alevels?

AS further maths - is that D1 etc

I am doing p1,p2,p3,s1,s2 and m1

I haven't started m1 yet
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by chrisbphd)
M1 can be learnt in two weeks. It's GCSE physics mostly.
Yeah, our maths teacher says he can teach it to us in three lessons.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
Yeah, our maths teacher says he can teach it to us in three lessons.
right, so i have heard "mechanics is friggin hard, harder than Pure 1 and Pure 2", down to "Mechanics is esy, its sort of gcse stuff, it can be taught in 3 weeks"

gosh, clarity needed please!
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The best way is to find out for yourself. Different people find different parts of maths difficult and it depends on what your mathematical background is in.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lets say that Cambridge Physics, sees you having a set of Mechanics grades, is better than having a Physics A level.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wait are you in your second year of alevels?

AS further maths - is that D1 etc

I am doing p1,p2,p3,s1,s2 and m1

I haven't started m1 yet

No I'm 1st year Alevels. Are you 2nd? I'm doind P1 P2 and S1 this year, and P3 M1 and M2 next year.

Might be doing 3 more modules, not sure which yet but definitely P4 and M3, haven't decided on 3rd, might not get to do them at all anyway.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (91)
22.14%
No (320)
77.86%

Watched Threads