The Student Room Group

Degree Classificarion

Anyone know how it is worked out/weighted for Pharmacy?

(I go to QM)
Reply 1
70%+ for a first, you need to get that percentage every exam you sit. :smile:
Bismillah

hey I don't know about you, but I think your sig is just a tad too big.
Reply 3
Bismillah

sounds like bulls*** to me
Reply 4
Kieran578
sounds like bulls*** to me

How? That's what I've been told by my brother who is in their final year of the MPharm B230 course :smile:
Reply 5
Hey, it may vary according to which University you are at (I know that Bradford give distinction,merit or pass instead of the traditional system of 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3) but the general trend seems to be some kind of average of your performance over the three years - many places don't include first year marks you just simply have to pass.

So at our place, it was 10% 2nd year, 30% 3rd year and 60% 4th year. I got year averages of high 2.1 in 2nd year, and 1sts in 3rd and 4th year and came out overall with a 1st but did not get a 1st in every single exam I sat - my lowest mark was a catastrophe of a physical pharmacy / aseptics in 2nd year but it didn't affect my overall outcome too much.
Reply 6
laurabuk
Hey, it may vary according to which University you are at (I know that Bradford give distinction,merit or pass instead of the traditional system of 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3) but the general trend seems to be some kind of average of your performance over the three years - many places don't include first year marks you just simply have to pass.

So at our place, it was 10% 2nd year, 30% 3rd year and 60% 4th year. I got year averages of high 2.1 in 2nd year, and 1sts in 3rd and 4th year and came out overall with a 1st but did not get a 1st in every single exam I sat - my lowest mark was a catastrophe of a physical pharmacy / aseptics in 2nd year but it didn't affect my overall outcome too much.

Kinda what I figured - I'm going to email someone at uni however and get an official explaination - when I get it I'll be sure to let tsr know!!
Reply 7
Bismillah

That's an interesting theory... seeing as I got 47% in one exam but still managed to get a first overall.

As long as you get over 70% OVERALL for years 2, 3 and 4 you should be awarded a first. The weighting of each year will increase throughout the degree also. At my uni (and Laurabuk) 4th year accounted for 60% of the overall mark!

If you get 69% they may call you for an oral exam (viva voce) to let you fight it out for a first! In these exams they can test you on anything from all 4 years of the degree.

As Laura said, Bradford (aka Bratfort) does it using the Pass, Merit, Distinction method - which is in line with postgraduate Masters programmes. Not heard anything about other unis doing this yet though. Only time will tell!
Original post by TigerSwift
That's an interesting theory... seeing as I got 47% in one exam but still managed to get a first overall.

As long as you get over 70% OVERALL for years 2, 3 and 4 you should be awarded a first. The weighting of each year will increase throughout the degree also. At my uni (and Laurabuk) 4th year accounted for 60% of the overall mark!

If you get 69% they may call you for an oral exam (viva voce) to let you fight it out for a first! In these exams they can test you on anything from all 4 years of the degree.

As Laura said, Bradford (aka Bratfort) does it using the Pass, Merit, Distinction method - which is in line with postgraduate Masters programmes. Not heard anything about other unis doing this yet though. Only time will tell!

did you have a viva voce?
i have one next week for pharmacy

have you got any pointers for me?
please and thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending