This discussion is closed.
nero076
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I'm looking for a little info on the oxford union, the debating society/bar/club thing. Is anyone here a member of it? From what I've read on the website and elsewhere it costs £145 or so to join- this seems very pricey. Is this price for access to the debating part of it or for the whole thing; in other words would I need to join if I just wanted to go in there and use the bar.

cheers (any other info about is also appreciated)
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nero076)
I'm looking for a little info on the oxford union, the debating society/bar/club thing. Is anyone here a member of it? From what I've read on the website and elsewhere it costs £145 or so to join- this seems very pricey. Is this price for access to the debating part of it or for the whole thing; in other words would I need to join if I just wanted to go in there and use the bar.

It costs £165 for lifetime membership but sometimes they do discounts, and it's cheaper if you get full fee remission. If you want to use the bar you have to be a member really, although members can take a guest on certain nights when there are no events on. To use the chamber or to go to events you have to be a member. Also members get exclusive and free admission to the Purple Turtle club which stretches under the union. If you're going to use it a lot and go to lots of events it's worth joining, but otherwise not.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

indeed u wud. the bar is quite crappy but the prices r cheap which is the only reason non-hacks go, otherwise the place is full of hacks, just ask jools.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's worth it for the debating - if I get a place I'd join to try out for the Worlds' (I think the next one's in Malasyia).
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

If you're what's considered as an OM (Ordinary Member) then what you'll get for your money is free entry to The Purple Turtle club and maybe occasionally a celebrity speaker, though queues for the big names can be 2 hours. If your mates don't go to PTs much then this may not be a brilliant deal. However if you want to get involved in the scene (ie be a 'hack', the term for a student politician) then its truly awesome - e.g. President's Drinks = free, unlimited alcohol every Thurs in a crowd where everybody is somebody...
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
IHowever if you want to get involved in the scene (ie be a 'hack', the term for a student politician) then its truly awesome
Erm what??? There are soooo many other ways to get involved with politics other than the Union. I wouldn't even say the Union is political anymore. :rolleyes:

tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Erm what??? There are soooo many other ways to get involved with politics other than the Union. I wouldn't even say the Union is political anymore. :rolleyes:

yep i agree, more worthwhile things to get involved in.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
It's worth it for the debating - if I get a place I'd join to try out for the Worlds' (I think the next one's in Malasyia).
I thought you were planning to apply to Cambridge???
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)

No, I was trying to define the word 'hack'. All Union officers are hacks but all hacks are not union people. Journos are also considered hacks. But OUSU and JCR political people aren't as much.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
I thought you were planning to apply to Cambridge???
Cambridge has one too, although I don't think it's quite as big a thing as Oxford; it still gets some pretty famous speakers and good debates. Ours is "only" £85 for life membership though (£75 if you join in Freshers' week) and they also have a bar and various events on. It's pretty good, but I'm not 100% sure it's worth the money
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?