This discussion is closed.
edufly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I got an offer from them in December which was BBC.
Does any1 know whether they are flexible with their grades because if I get BBD would I still stand a chance of getting in.

I have it in my mind that they are flexible because they say they require 21 units of alevels whereas I am only doing 18units (3 alevels) and they still gave me an offer!

Any1 else applying there, I will hopefully be doing Economics and Geography.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes they are flexible with grades and usually accept general studies. Lancaster's a great uni with great people, congratualtions. Also economics in particular has a great reputation there.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have an offer from them for Psychology but I'm not really sure how flexible they are sorry. What course is your offer for?
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A friend of mine was offered ABB for management but actually got BBC and A in general studies. She was accepted anyway.

edufly
Rep:
?
(Original post by hildabeast)
Yes they are flexible with grades and usually accept general studies. Lancaster's a great uni with great people, congratualtions. Also economics in particular has a great reputation there.

Oh well thanks!

I hear its by the Lake District as well which is a world away from the south east where I'm based.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
Oh well thanks!

I hear its by the Lake District as well which is a world away from the south east where I'm based.
Yeh, Lake District is beautiful and Lancaster is only about half an hour away. I didn't consider Lancaster because I only live a few miles away (Preston - scummy hellhole, never go there) but the city of Lancaster is nice and the uni has the best overall academic rep in the north west, even beating Manchester.

edufly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Their average for Economics is 23 points BBB/BBC - so although they are flexible I wouldn't take it for granted that they will accept you with BBD (although remember that these averages *include* general studies which is why universities are often more generous to students with good GS grades)

Wait so how is an average 23 points BBC. Aint 23 points 230 ucas points and so that will be less than CCC?
edufly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
23 points in old money = 276 points in new money (and is over 3 A levels not the entire range)

In the old system
A=10
B=8
etc

now A=120, B=100 etc multiply old by 12 to find out new
Oh crap yeh I forgot
I used to think points were the same but just multiply by a ten.
I remember on the times league tables I thought the best uni's had well low points per applicant but now I know its different.
Leaby
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
I got an offer from them in December which was BBC.
Does any1 know whether they are flexible with their grades because if I get BBD would I still stand a chance of getting in.

I have it in my mind that they are flexible because they say they require 21 units of alevels whereas I am only doing 18units (3 alevels) and they still gave me an offer!

Any1 else applying there, I will hopefully be doing Economics and Geography.
Yeah they are quite flexible: someone I know had Lancaster down for insurance: they wanted ABB for English Literature. She got BCC and they still let her in.
boxersarecool
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have had an offer there to do geog (Lancaster) and need 2 B's.
Have you been to an open day? I went as my best friend is there also doing geog! and so i got to see it then, seems friendly but quite rural. I don't mind this tho.
My friend said some people on her course got in with C and D when they needed B's. I think they are prepared to be flexible, depending on their intake etc.
The area surroundin it is really beautiful tho - rolling hills etc!
Hope this helps
Alicia
edufly
Rep:
?
(Original post by boxersarecool)
I have had an offer there to do geog (Lancaster) and need 2 B's.
Have you been to an open day? I went as my best friend is there also doing geog! and so i got to see it then, seems friendly but quite rural. I don't mind this tho.
My friend said some people on her course got in with C and D when they needed B's. I think they are prepared to be flexible, depending on their intake etc.
The area surroundin it is really beautiful tho - rolling hills etc!
Hope this helps
Alicia
That sounds all good to me.
I haven't been to an interview maybe because its over 3 hours away by train!

So you got accepted and only need 2 B's? How comes only 2 grades you need whereas I need BBC! (for economics and geog)
Jolie
Report 15 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post- wish I'd known it was here when I was doing my UCAS form!
Anywho, I've confirmed Lancaster as my firm choice and I dont have a reserve choice for various reasons (mainly being that Manchester, Leeds and York (where I REALLY wanted to go) rejected me. *******s.)
so I just want to say thankyou for saying so many nice things about Lancaster because you've really put my mind at rest- I'm such a nervous wreck about exams and grades and getting accepted atm, it took me a whole month to finally decide between Reading and Lancaster (went for Lanc. cos it's on the coast and property prices are better) and hopefully I think I made the right descision
I've applied to do a BSc in Psychology and my offer is ABB but I think I'll end up with BBB (lazy last year= crap coursework!) so I'm practising my 'oh pleeeease let me in??' whine for clearing as we speak! :rolleyes:

Jolie xx

ps. if anyone else has applied to do BSc Psych at Lancaster, feel free to PM or email me- it'd be cool to get to know some people so I don't feel totally alone for the first few weeks of uni! :cool:
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey,
Ive got an offer for the BSc Psychology at Lancaster too. I'm thinking of putting it as my insurance as although my first choice offer (Warwick) is higher at BBB, lancaster say they will accept ABB or equivilant grades (AAC) including general studies which I already have an A in. Have not fully decided yet though.
Fairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Im at Lancaster now, I got the required grades to get in but I know of people who didnt and still got in, as a general guide they accepted one grade below what was needed. It also depends on the intake for the course you want.

Lancaster isnt that rural, not far from the town centre and Preston and Manchester aren't that far on the train.

Its a really friendly uni although college rivalries make it interesting too....and the legendary bar crawls across the 9 bars on campus!
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Lancaster was one of only two unis that accepted me, so they must be good.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (228)
61.29%
Yes- I don't like it (16)
4.3%
No- I want it (103)
27.69%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.72%

Watched Threads