The Student Room Group

Why are Topsop, River Island, Dorothy Perkins etc. so expensive?!

I'm not hard for money or a chapskate.. but these highstreet shops being so expensive really annoys me, especially when it probably only cost them £1 or something to make half the clothes... I mean Topsop has stuff going for £100+... and it's a HIGH STREET shop! Not even designer (which I also think is a rip off unless you get sales/discounted)..

I seriously doubt Topshop/River Island etc have better quality clothes than places like New Look (they haven't in my experience, I have a top from river island where the elastic is forever coming out and jeans that faded from Topshop after two washes which NEVER happened from any other cheaper clothing)..

Is it just because they can and people still go for it?

It's like Jane Norman clothes, expensive, some look really noce, but they are made from tacky material and not greatly made.

anyway, are you ok with topshop prices, am i alone here?

Scroll to see replies

You're Not Alone.
no....but thankfully I hate topman clothing...so never feel the need to waste my money there....
If you think Dorothy Perkins is expensive you're a ******* cheapskate.
Topshop I can empathise with you, however River Islands and Dorothy Perkins are ok you know I shop from the latter two the most. Oh and ofcourse Newlook, ASOS online is always good :smile:
Reply 5
I don't think its that expensive. I mean you pay for the quality and the brand so i think its good value for money.

x
Reply 6
Dorothy Perkins isn't expensive is it?? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Are they? Anyway, you're paying for the brand and they set the prices against who they want shopping at their store (pretty affordable, but they don't want everyone shopping there, unlike Primark, say).
Reply 8
Trixy.Sam
I don't think its that expensive. I mean you pay for the quality and the brand so i think its good value for money.

x

i don't think a high street shop is a label you should pay for.
Reply 9
mel0n
Dorothy Perkins isn't expensive is it?? :s-smilie:

ok DP not so much, but they still do have some excessivly expensive clothing.
Topshop is really expensive, but I find River Island quite affordable:s-smilie:
Naahh, it's Debenhams that is expensive.
I can't stand stuff at Top Shop, but these stores are mid range in terms of prices, also Marks and Spencers clothing is pricey but I am an cheapstake as I hardly have cash and I ain't rich at all.
I think River Island is reasonable but Topshop takes the absolute p*ss sometimes! I hate Topshop clothes anyway... but the 'boutique' clothes from there are just a joke. Especially 'Kate Moss' collection - ergh.
Reply 13
Topman is the ****.
Reply 14
HamsterdanceX
Naahh, it's Debenhams that is expensive.
I can't stand stuff at Top Shop, but these stores are mid range in terms of prices, also Marks and Spencers clothing is pricey but I am an cheapstake as I hardly have cash and I ain't rich at all.

M&S is very good quality though, i don't buy from there cause it's not my ge range but the quality lives up to the price
Probably won't find this shop in the UK but my favorite clothing shop is Quicksilver.However I do agree that the quality of the products aren't that good.
I prefer shops like Marks&Spencer or Banana Republic for pants.
Reply 16
Because people pay it.
/thread
Reply 17
Theconomist
Probably won't find this shop in the UK but my favorite clothing shop is Quicksilver.However I do agree that the quality of the products aren't that good.
I prefer shops like Marks&Spencer or Banana Republic for pants.

yeah we get that here
Why does everyone hate Topshop? :zomg:

I practically have an orgasm every time I go in there. The shoes and dresses are so pretty, even if ridiculously overpriced :coma:
Bellissima
yeah we get that here

Thanks to a friend I am switching to the more smart casualish type instead of jeans and shirt and those shops are really great.

Quick Reply

Latest