What is Access HE Diploma equivalent to ? Watch

Night Hawk
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Or isn’t it judged like this. The reason I asked is, if I applied to a job for example that requires 3 A levels, btec national or equivalent would a Access HE Dip be relevant if it was in that particular field ?.
TomU
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Technically it's a level 3 qualification - so the work is A level standard. Employers and HE institutions both look favourably upon people with the Access to HE diploma, but depending on the job/course you were looking at, A levels might be the safer route.

This is simply due to the fact that the Access courses are more generalised and go into things such as study skills etc, whilst A levels cover subjects in more detail (i.e. Maths/Science related fields might require A levels as Access courses don't necessarily go into the subjects in the same amount of detail)
Night Hawk
(Original post by TomU)
Technically it's a level 3 qualification - so the work is A level standard. Employers and HE institutions both look favourably upon people with the Access to HE diploma, but depending on the job/course you were looking at, A levels might be the safer route.

This is simply due to the fact that the Access courses are more generalised and go into things such as study skills etc, whilst A levels cover subjects in more detail (i.e. Maths/Science related fields might require A levels as Access courses don't necessarily go into the subjects in the same amount of detail)
Thanks for the reply.

It says on this particular access course that i would have the opportunity to study AS level maths and literacy. Im in a interesting predicament at the moment so im weighing up my options.

The course says 'although there are no formal entry requirements a strong maths background is required.'

What would you class a strong maths background ?
TomU
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What is it exactly that you'd hope to be doing after completing the course? A bit more detail would probably help people here advise you what your best option is...

"A strong maths background" could mean anything, but on face value it suggests to me something like A level equivalency...
Night Hawk
(Original post by TomU)
What is it exactly that you'd hope to be doing after completing the course? A bit more detail would probably help people here advise you what your best option is...

"A strong maths background" could mean anything, but on face value it suggests to me something like A level equivalency...
We’ll to give all background information is a bit of a tale and half so ill keep it brief (try to edit: )

Im 22 with no GCSE’s. I would fly through Maths, English and Science, my downfall is I haven’t got the certificates to prove it. I’ve applied to a btec level 3 diploma, because im over 19 they need to apply for special entry, and said I would re take gcse English and Maths as part of it, so im waiting on the flip of a coin I guess.

Im looking at alternatives, because for one I feel like the college have approached it very negatively, im not sure id like to be in that environment with 16 year olds anymore, and lastly im looking at alternatives in case they don’t offer it for whatever reason.

My ideal route is to enter a higher apprenticeship and ultimately gain a degree through the company, hence why I asked if a Access HE Diploma in engineering would be relevant.

The way I see it is, my options are

1) See what the outcome is of the Btec via college
2) Re take GCSE this year/next, either apply to an apprenticeship after gaining those (id just about be within the age range for traditional apprenticeships.)
3) Re take GCSE, do Access HE diploma Engineering following year, then either University or a higher apprenticeship (if the access HE Diploma is actually relevant)
4) Do something else, completely different. ..
TomU
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've not got that much experience with the Btec, so I can't really comment on that but from what I know about the Access course:

As the name suggests, the Access to HE diploma is best suited to gain you a place at university. If you are looking at applying to the top ranked universities, you might find that (especially for engineering courses) an Access course on its own might not be acceptable for entry. Other unis and ex polys will have different entry requirements, so you may find that an Access course is sufficient to get into courses at some unis but not others - each uni obviously has it's own set of standard entry requirements and they differ hugely depending on which one you apply to.

Having said all that, the Access course is specifically designed to get people with few or no qualifications who have been out of education for some years up to university level academically and, depending on the course at uni you're applying to, there is usually no need to re-take your GCSEs prior to taking the access course. The Access course covers core modules such as Maths and English at GCSE standard and above anyway.

Since you're 22 and have no GCSEs, I would probably suggest that an Access course followed by University will be the quickest, cheapest and best option for you to take. You'll be in classes with people your age and older, and the course is designed for mature students.

Definitely get in touch with the unis that you're interested in applying to ASAP, explain the situation that you're in and that you want to apply to them after completing an access course. They'll tell you what grades you'll need to typically get in your access course. As well as that, you'll be able to put any work experience in your UCAS personal statement which a typical 18 year old doesn't have - which might well also help you get a foot up over someone doing A levels or a Btec straight out of school.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just another point - it's important to note that many colleges offer GCSE maths/english equivalency courses that run alongside your access course. Check with your college to see what they offer because most uni's will require some basic GCSE standard English/Maths - they may or may not accept the level 2 English/Maths that you'll do on an Access course. You'll just have to research that with your college/uni to be sure what you need to do though.
Emmapople
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello, is the access to health diploma equivalent to nvqs in healthcare or higher? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.44%
No (68)
75.56%

Watched Threads