AQA Additional Science - Is it hard compared to core?

Watch this thread
bronn
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Im doing the dual award and so far I've done well in core:
A and B in chem
A and A* in physics
A and A* in bio

I want an A or A* overall, whats the difference between core and additional?
MullyGrubber
Badges: 2
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
No it isn't really that much more difficult than Core. Don't be disheartened if you get low grades at the beginning because you are obviously making the move from just colouring in boxes to writing out structured answers.

Just revise and do a lot of past papers and you'll soon pick up on what key words and phrases examiners are looking for. It is fairly straightforward once you get the hang of it.
milkytea
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I did better in Additional than I did in core.:p:
STARMissyB
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Its not really that hard if you revise and do some past papers
Sarawrr
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
It's not that difficult - there's just a lot more to learn.
naza911
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Additional science is not that hard compared to core science in terms of content, get yourself a revision guide. The only challenge might be answering the questions, as people have said get yourself a couple of past papers, do them and you should be fine, you have done pretty well at core so you shouldnt find it to hard to get an A* in you additional
theteenagecurse
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I thought I'd got BB or BA and ended up with A*A* I actually found Additional easier than core but I think it's really all personal preference. Do tonnes of past papers, the same questions always come up year after year, trust me. Learn how to answer them, and you'll be fine.
abbii
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
its not harder theres just more
Cashper1234
Report 11 years ago
I got nearly 100 ums in all of the exams and like others have said all you have to do is past papers and learn your revision guide (I recommend the Lonsdale ones) and you can easily get an A*
awesomeness123
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
its not that difficult. additional really requires only knowledge, and not much understanding.
perrytheplatypus
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
It's more 'content for an extra GCSE' than difficulty compared to core.
Thatstudentdude
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I dunno, I'm scared! This is the one I'm doing now, AQA Additional!
Skaterkid
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Core seems to be harder
GunnerArshavin
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I personally found B2 much easier than B1 .
C2 much easier than C1
and P2 much easier than P1 .

So I found additional science easier, depends on the person really.
SilverDoe21
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by bronn)
Im doing the dual award and so far I've done well in core:
A and B in chem
A and A* in physics
A and A* in bio

I want an A or A* overall, whats the difference between core and additional?
Honestly, I found Additional easier. I'm not sure why that was; it might just be because I had the knowledge from Core to build on. I enjoyed Additional more too, especially Chemistry :yep: Good luck!
Hasan10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi there I'm also another yr 11 student I've done my core science last year and ended up with a B. There's additional science still to do. Do you think I should retake core as I think I just never put in much revision as I started revising late for chemistry,and because I also got a c in isa which seems stupid but overall a B.However I'm in the process of achieving much higher grades in additional. But because I want to work in the medicine sector a B isn't good enough
Hasan10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Yh p1 was just a nightmare and b1 was too long
Gorwell
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I've just done my Additional ISA and we've finished all our Bio/Chem/Phy topics so all we're doing in January is revising. I personally find both of equal easiness/difficulty. If I'm honest I find AQA the best board to do GCSE science with, the questions are literally the same year in year out! I did so many past papers for Core and I felt like I'd done the papers before.

Edit* JUST REALISED HOW OLD THIS THREAD IS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
15.76%
The paper was reasonable (190)
49.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (97)
25.06%
It was TERRIBLE (39)
10.08%

Watched Threads