This discussion is closed.
Sparkly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi!
Just wondering who's applied for Psychology. Where are your offers and where do you want to go? I'm really looking forward to starting in October!
Just curious as to where everyone's going!
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My friend has offers from leeds, liecester, nottingham and newcastle and wants to go to liecester cos they do it joint with biology grades AAB and ABB at all
Leaby
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey Sparkly, what are the final decisions on your universities, and which one will be your firm acceptance?

Last time I got an offer was November 5th, and am still waiting to hear from York and Durham!

Bangor - 240 points
Birmingham - ABB
Cardiff - AAB
Lancaster - ABB

Out of the ones I've had offers from, Cardiff will probably be my firm acceptance. I'm likely to choose it even if I get an offer from York (which is unlikely)... Though I may be torn between the two!
pinkegokane
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i've got an offer for psychology as part of combined honours at newcastle, offer abb.
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Durham - IB 33
York - IB 34
Nottingham - IB 35
Royal Holloway - IB 34

First choice Notts
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm still waiting to hear from Durham, York, Southampton, Nottingham, Leicester, manchester.

(And that's my order of preference)
Sparkly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leaby)
Hey Sparkly, what are the final decisions on your universities, and which one will be your firm acceptance?
I've got offers from Nottingham, Durham and York, rejected from Oxford, and awaiting replies from Bristol and St Andrews- they're taking FOREVER, I swear!

Anyone else waiting for these ones?
TommyP
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Got offers from York, Newcastle, Durham and Loughborough. Still waiting for Nottingham and Bristol.
ThunderCat8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have had offers from Leicester and Plymouth.

I have applied for medicine, and these are my back-up choices in case I don't get into medicine. The only thing is now, I want to go to Sussex to do Psychology (unless I get any offers for medicine) but I didn't apply! Doh!! Silly me!! Oh well, i'm sure I could go through clearing, and if not, Plymouth is top notch too, so i'd be totally happy there.

Good luck to everyone still waiting for offers to come through. These are scary times! Argh!
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
First Choice = Warwick BBB (unless i choose Lancaster instead)
Insurance = Hull BBC (only one grade difference!!)

Also had offers from:
Birmingham: ABB
Lancaster: aBB
Aston: BBB

Was rejected from Nottingham.
Sparkly
Rep:
?
(Original post by TommyP)
Got offers from York, Newcastle, Durham and Loughborough. Still waiting for Nottingham and Bristol.
Cool- I've applied to 4 of those! Still awaiting Bristol though. I might see you in October!
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sparkly)
I've got offers from Nottingham, Durham and York, rejected from Oxford, and awaiting replies from Bristol and St Andrews- they're taking FOREVER, I swear!

Anyone else waiting for these ones?
Yes! St. Andrews is really bugging me!
Leaby
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I guess if it's this late they're probably waiting until the UCAS deadline to be 'fair.' Apparently, you could be waiting until the end of February... Even though the deadline is today. I might be waiting that long, too... Perhaps I'm a 'borderline applicant' for York and Durham and they're waiting for better people to apply!
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leaby)
I guess if it's this late they're probably waiting until the UCAS deadline to be 'fair.' Apparently, you could be waiting until the end of February... Even though the deadline is today. I might be waiting that long, too... Perhaps I'm a 'borderline applicant' for York and Durham and they're waiting for better people to apply!
Thats what I think happened with me and Nottingham.
icesnow
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sparkly)
Hi!
Just wondering who's applied for Psychology. Where are your offers and where do you want to go? I'm really looking forward to starting in October!
Just curious as to where everyone's going!
have received offers from york, notts, lancaster, manchester and bath, anyone give some ideas which one is the best?
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by icesnow)
have received offers from york, notts, lancaster, manchester and bath, anyone give some ideas which one is the best?
Well notts I believe was top of the league tables for Psy last year but the bath course has a sandwich year if i remember rightly? which not many unis have for Psychology....could be a definate advantage if you want to be a clinical psychologist but would you prefer just a 3 year degree?
Lancaster has a really good rep for Psychology but the uni in general isn't as well respected as day notts, york and bath. You have to do 3 subjects in the first year so it depends whether or not that suits you? (I'm currently choosing between there and Warwick for Psych).
I dont know much about the courses at Manchester or York so I couldnt really comment, but they both have a good general rep.
For me it would be between Notts and Bath...Notts is close to a big lively city wherars Bath isn't so much so I guess it depends what your looking for really. Manchester has loadsaa clubs!

Did you get an AAA offer for Bath? Well done on all your offer btw
icesnow
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
Well notts I believe was top of the league tables for Psy last year but the bath course has a sandwich year if i remember rightly? which not many unis have for Psychology....could be a definate advantage if you want to be a clinical psychologist but would you prefer just a 3 year degree?
Lancaster has a really good rep for Psychology but the uni in general isn't as well respected as day notts, york and bath. You have to do 3 subjects in the first year so it depends whether or not that suits you? (I'm currently choosing between there and Warwick for Psych).
I dont know much about the courses at Manchester or York so I couldnt really comment, but they both have a good general rep.
For me it would be between Notts and Bath...Notts is close to a big lively city wherars Bath isn't so much so I guess it depends what your looking for really. Manchester has loadsaa clubs!

Did you get an AAA offer for Bath? Well done on all your offer btw
thanks for you opinions, it does really help!!
i prefer quiet places like Bath, and i know it has a very high ranking in Times, but most of my friends said it is not as good as york, so very confusing then
which type of psychology are you planning to do? clinical, occupational, educational or criminal etc.?
and congratulations for the offer of Warwick, it is very good!!!
i have received the conditional offer from Bath only requires ABB, so does it means the university is not as good as the one requires AAB OR AAA??
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by icesnow)
thanks for you opinions, it does really help!!
i prefer quiet places like Bath, and i know it has a very high ranking in Times, but most of my friends said it is not as good as york, so very confusing then
which type of psychology are you planning to do? clinical, occupational, educational or criminal etc.?
and congratulations for the offer of Warwick, it is very good!!!
i have received the conditional offer from Bath only requires ABB, so does it means the university is not as good as the one requires AAB OR AAA??
Hey. Im hoping to go into clinical Psychology but its sooo competitive. What about you?
Well done on your Bath offer - standard offer there for Psychology is AAA and I know people who have been offered that so they must have really liked you!! That is the reason why I didn't apply there in fact....am kicking myself now lol.
I wouldnt say a uni offering ABB is not as good as one offering AAA/AAB the course may just be a bit less competitive or they may view your personal statment, potential etc as being more important than grades. Look at a lot of LSE's courses - standard offer ABB but they reject plenty of people with predicted grades of AAA and could probably fill all their places with these people - they just choose to look at other things apart from grades.
Any uni that offer ABB or above is going to be of a reasonable standard anyway...Having said that my offer from Warwick is BBB and Hull is BBC -there is such a big difference between those two unis in terms of reputation!
icesnow
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
Hey. Im hoping to go into clinical Psychology but its sooo competitive. What about you?
Well done on your Bath offer - standard offer there for Psychology is AAA and I know people who have been offered that so they must have really liked you!! That is the reason why I didn't apply there in fact....am kicking myself now lol.
I wouldnt say a uni offering ABB is not as good as one offering AAA/AAB the course may just be a bit less competitive or they may view your personal statment, potential etc as being more important than grades. Look at a lot of LSE's courses - standard offer ABB but they reject plenty of people with predicted grades of AAA and could probably fill all their places with these people - they just choose to look at other things apart from grades.
Any uni that offer ABB or above is going to be of a reasonable standard anyway...Having said that my offer from Warwick is BBB and Hull is BBC -there is such a big difference between those two unis in terms of reputation!
hi ya, I'm still struggling which component of psychology i am going to choose. Possibly, i will chosse either clinical like u or occupational. Does clinical more concentrate on biology and occupational emphasises social studies? do u think that York's course is more clinical and Bath's is more occupational?
lots of decisions need to make~~~~~ cant cope with them now!!!!!!!
do u have PYB4 exam on friday? if so, good luck!!!!!
Omer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey everyone, I'm an overseas student from Turkey and I applied for psychology, too. I got conditional offers from:

King's, Cambridge (SPS)
Nottingham (Psychology and Philosophy)
Bath (Psychology 4 yrs sandwich)
UCL (Psychology)

I'm still waiting to hear from Warwick (Psy and Philo) and St. Andrew's (Psy and French with year abroad).

I rang St. Andrew's and they're supposed to make their decisions by Wednesday next week.. God they're taking forever..

I'm definitely putting Cambridge as my firm choice, but I'm lingering between Notthingham, Bath, and Warwick (if I get in) for my insurance choice..

What do you guys think I should do? I hear Notts' rep is better than Bath, but Warwick is great, too. So maybe it's between Warwick and Notts.. What do you say?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
30.43%
No (14)
60.87%
Don't know (2)
8.7%

Watched Threads