Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icesnow)
    hi ya, I'm still struggling which component of psychology i am going to choose. Possibly, i will chosse either clinical like u or occupational. Does clinical more concentrate on biology and occupational emphasises social studies? do u think that York's course is more clinical and Bath's is more occupational?
    lots of decisions need to make~~~~~ cant cope with them now!!!!!!!
    do u have PYB4 exam on friday? if so, good luck!!!!!
    Yep your right about the clinical bit anyway....not to sure about occupational as I haven't really researched it much! Yep I did mpdule 4 today - what about you? What did you think of it. I though it was ok questions I guess - it could have eben a hell of a lot worse i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Within 3 weeks of sending the application off at end of November, I'd received offers from 5 of the 6 unis I applied to.... last offer was on the 16th December.... No news yet from Nottingham....A LONG gap - and getting longer !!

I've applied to Leicester(BBB), Loughborough (ABB), Lancaster (ABB), Reading (ABB) and Royal Holloway (ABB)

.... and the illusive Nottingham....

Having just read that so many of you allready have offers from Nottingham, conisdering they only intend to place 100, they can't have more than say 125 places to offer coniditionaly....Now, if there are about 6 or 7 of you on here that HAVE places....then it makes me think that they have pretty much made ALL their offers bar one or two should they find someone exceptional in the late applications....otherwise it's just rather a fluke that such a high % of the offers have found there way onto this forum by chance alone!

I really DO want to go to Nottingham above all the others I've applied to, anybody have some words of encouragement, (though I'll settle for consolation )

Well at least I've not been outright rejected yet, so there is still the POSSIBILITY, actually, HAS ANYONE HERE been outright rejected from Nott yet (or know anyone else who has)??

Thanks anyway in advance for any replies

Just to throw another one into the bag - WHAT DREW YOU TO APPLY TO PSYCHOLOGY?

I guess I'd better start .... general interest, always fascinated, did some reading - was still fascinat-ing/ed

You?

ReputationRep:
    I was just taken with it after studying it for A-level - I enjoy its scientific basis that shines through in its experimental side, plus its evaluative side that also makes the subject very humanity-based.

ReputationRep:
    psychology at Exeter, York, Manchester, Sheffield and Cardiff....waiting to hear from Bristol....anyone heard from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ole1973)
    Within 3 weeks of sending the application off at end of November, I'd received offers from 5 of the 6 unis I applied to.... last offer was on the 16th December.... No news yet from Nottingham....A LONG gap - and getting longer !!

I've applied to Leicester(BBB), Loughborough (ABB), Lancaster (ABB), Reading (ABB) and Royal Holloway (ABB)

.... and the illusive Nottingham....

Having just read that so many of you allready have offers from Nottingham, conisdering they only intend to place 100, they can't have more than say 125 places to offer coniditionaly....Now, if there are about 6 or 7 of you on here that HAVE places....then it makes me think that they have pretty much made ALL their offers bar one or two should they find someone exceptional in the late applications....otherwise it's just rather a fluke that such a high % of the offers have found there way onto this forum by chance alone!

I really DO want to go to Nottingham above all the others I've applied to, anybody have some words of encouragement, (though I'll settle for consolation )

Well at least I've not been outright rejected yet, so there is still the POSSIBILITY, actually, HAS ANYONE HERE been outright rejected from Nott yet (or know anyone else who has)??

Thanks anyway in advance for any replies

Just to throw another one into the bag - WHAT DREW YOU TO APPLY TO PSYCHOLOGY?

I guess I'd better start .... general interest, always fascinated, did some reading - was still fascinat-ing/ed

You?
    I was rejected outright from Notts for Psychology - my only rejection :*(. Think I will end up going to Warwick now....

ReputationRep:
    Last year I sent my application off mid-October and I didn't hear from Notts until the very end of December...about ten weeks...so don't panic yourself about it too much

Edited to point out I'm now in my first year of a psych degree at Notts

ReputationRep:
    surely my eyes deceive me!

ReputationRep:
    surely my eyes deceive me!
    ...was that directed at me? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    was wondering what yyou were doing in on a friday night!!

Thanks for the kind words by the way....whats it like there....other than the nightlife.... aw go on, include the nightlife!

ReputationRep:
    was wondering what yyou were doing in on a friday night!!

Thanks for the kind words by the way....whats it like there....other than the nightlife.... aw go on, include the nightlife!
    And what are you doing in on a Friday night....?

Lol, I'm in tonight because I'm home for the weekend...the town I live in is boring compared to Nottingham!

Living in Nottingham is great...but I guess it'd be the same in any big city. The nightlife is great - there are uni nights at different clubs every weekday which have a really safe, fun atmosphere. My personal favourite is the Athletic's Union's clubnight at the new superclub on a Wednesday....a lot of nice looking, very sporty students(and girls for the blokes).

The work's hard though...and there's a lot of it The work and the essays are interesting though so that makes things more bearable!

Edited to take out an obvious question....!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    I was just taken with it after studying it for A-level - I enjoy its scientific basis that shines through in its experimental side, plus its evaluative side that also makes the subject very humanity-based.
    I like the fact that it seems very much like an arts subject, yet there is a basis of fact and it feels like you are learning something of use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    I like the fact that it seems very much like an arts subject, yet there is a basis of fact and it feels like you are learning something of use.
    I much prefer the scientific, clinical side to it. That's what I'm hoping to go into after uni although its sooo competitive. It's the mental disorders, treatment of them and the other scienfic aspects of Psychology that interest me most. I'm not all to keen on the social stuff to be honest.

ReputationRep:

Me too! THo i dont mind the sciencey/experimental aspect, i prefer learning about the theory side to it cos it's so interesting! Where have you applied to and are considering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)
    Me too! THo i dont mind the sciencey/experimental aspect, i prefer learning about the theory side to it cos it's so interesting! Where have you applied to and are considering?
    Applied to York, Nottingham, Durham, Leicester, Southampton and manchester.
    Rejected from york - nothing from the others.
    Really want to go to Durham, so I have my fingers crossed!
    I'd ask in return but I've read your thread so know where you're considering! Any decision yet?

ReputationRep:
    I'd ask in return but I've read your thread so know where you're considering! Any decision yet?

Nup! :confused:

I got rejected from Notts which was my first choice, was really gutted cos i got some mates who go there and loads of my mates now wanna go there... um, got offers also from Sheff Hallam and Nott Trent, but they're not as highly valued unis, are they? so, needless to say, i dont particularly wanna go there...

Everyone keeps saying to me that i WILL make the right choice, buit i really dont know?! I'm not really a city person so im worried Sheff wont suit me, whereas i might York might but then again, course-wise, i think i'll prefer the Sheff one... eek! I was actually under the impression that Sheff was a campus uni, but from looking at the map they sent me, it dusnt look like it... appears to be based in the city...
    Do you know much about the course in York? I've read everyone else's responses and they keep talking about which "components" of psych to do... and im just lost now! What does that mean?I thought the courses included bits of everything depending what modules u wanna do? Is York more sciencey/experimental and biology-ish then? Cos i dunno if i'll like it as much in that case...

ReputationRep:

I got rejected from Notts which was my first choice, was really gutted cos i got some mates who go there and loads of my mates now wanna go there... um, got offers also from Sheff Hallam and Nott Trent, but they're not as highly valued unis, are they? so, needless to say, i dont particularly wanna go there...

Everyone keeps saying to me that i WILL make the right choice, buit i really dont know?! I'm not really a city person so im worried Sheff wont suit me, whereas i might York might but then again, course-wise, i think i'll prefer the Sheff one... eek! I was actually under the impression that Sheff was a campus uni, but from looking at the map they sent me, it dusnt look like it... appears to be based in the city...
    Do you know much about the course in York? I've read everyone else's responses and they keep talking about which "components" of psych to do... and im just lost now! What does that mean?I thought the courses included bits of everything depending what modules u wanna do? Is York more sciencey/experimental and biology-ish then? Cos i dunno if i'll like it as much in that case...

by the way, *good luck* for Durham!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly)
    I've got offers from Nottingham, Durham and York, rejected from Oxford, and awaiting replies from Bristol and St Andrews- they're taking FOREVER, I swear!

Anyone else waiting for these ones?

i've got offers from cardiff and york...

rejected from oxford (i cracked a joke...they weren't laughing)

and yes i'm awaiting replies from bristol and st. andrews too!!
    they're taking forever...but cheer up! it's nearly christmas!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)

by the way, *good luck* for Durham!
    have you thoroughly enjoyed all of your A Level courses?
    I'd guess not, yet you've survived and not been miserable.
    Wheras the place you live is more likely to make you miserable.
    So unless the courses are RADICALLY different, I'd go to the place you'd prefer, which sounds like York to me...

ReputationRep:
    i've got in at bath, durham, st andrews, edinburgh and newcastle (oxford rejected me )

i too am really interested in clinical psychology so the 4 year sandwich course at bath is obviously very appealing as work experience is required before you go on to the doctorate course. however, having talked to a couple of people on the doctorate course they think that it gives you much more of an advantage to do a degree at a uni which also does the doctorate. and as only edinburgh and newcastle out of my choices do the doctorate course i'm more inclined to go to one of these (probably edinburgh since i've fallen in love with the place).

ReputationRep:
    have you thoroughly enjoyed all of your A Level courses?
    I'd guess not, yet you've survived and not been miserable.
    Wheras the place you live is more likely to make you miserable.
    So unless the courses are RADICALLY different, I'd go to the place you'd prefer, which sounds like York to me...
    I really enjoy art! (ah art!-u gotta love it!) lol, obviously i enjoy psych too, cos we have the most amazing and funniest teachers! Plus the contents interesting... Chem.... (lets not go there) and History, tho its always been one of my fave subjects as chem had been also, frankly for A Level, i'm findin it rather tedious (a lot of it's politics and foreign policy which i hate) and General studies, we dont have very productive lessons so a waste of time in my opinion... But saying that, i wudnt go as far as saying i'm hating it... i'm trying to view my less great subjects as a challlenge...

lol, actually after talking wiv some of my mates and some of the teachers, they think im more of a "york-type" person rather than a Sheff person.... lol They seem to think i'll never adapt to proper city life in sheff... Another thing thats putting me off in Sheff is that the uni isnt actually a campus is it? tho i was told it was... its based in the city? but saying that, York isnt as gud for students, theres a bit more in Sheff...

jeez, im so annoying , arent i? I'm soo bad at making decisions! lol

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.