My GCSE got 59 points. What does this mean?

Watch
fredster2004
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've only got my results today and I got 59 points for the one GCSE I took. (Classical Greek OCR A*). I never got points with the 10 GCSEs I did last year - so what does this mean?
user152713
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
how did you work out points?
GunnerArshavin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
^

A* = 8
A= 7
B = 6

and so on, I reckon
TheProdigy2k9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is it not the points that you get when you have all your results? E.g. A* being a certain point and A one lower, then all of them added up.
w04andia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When I got my GCSEs a year ago ,some of the results had random numbers, there were a lot of 58s
I Didn't know what it meant. Maybe I can find out now lol.
My grades were A* btw.
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fredster2004)
I've only got my results today and I got 59 points for the one GCSE I took. (Classical Greek OCR A*). I never got points with the 10 GCSEs I did last year - so what does this mean?
They are points for your school's league table points.
SamCrossMan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/half.htm

Don't really see the function of it though.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BookWormShanti)
But how does that work? This year I took one full GCSE and 6 modules. All of them gained an A* (at 98-100 UMS) but I only got 58 points - next to my full gcse, stats? So how did I get MORE points than the exam results I got, especially when 6 of them weren't even full GCSEs? My friend who got 6 A*s (inc Stats) and an A also was given 58 points - so how does it refer to anything other than that stats gcse itself? I am so confused!
I'd imagine that your school only gets points for completed courses (full or short course GCSE), not for individual modules...

So, for you and your friend, your school got 58 points each for your stats GCSE, and that's it?
llys
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SamCrossMan)
http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/half.htm

Don't really see the function of it though.
Maybe this explains a bit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...he-tables.html
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by llys)
I'd imagine that your school only gets points for completed courses (full or short course GCSE), not for individual modules...

So, for you and your friend, your school got 58 points each for your stats GCSE, and that's it?
Sorry!

I double looked at the link above and saw that a GCSE was worth 58 points not 8 as I thought when I wrote that post (didn't look at the table properly!) then I thought I had deleted my post as it was pointless as the table explained it easily - but obviously TSR was being annoying, and I closed it down before I'd double-checked the delete had worked!!
Thanks anyway though!
emmakh123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
they are the new system, replacing 8=A* 7=A etc
its now 58=A* 52=A 46=B 40=C ect

EDIT: & short course GCSEs are worth half so 29=A* 26=A etc
Millimoo2301
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think these points are ucas points don't quote me on this though. Ucas points are points that decode your grades to make it easier for unis to sort the students they want
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads