This discussion is closed.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
hey...

I bet you've never heard Smells Like Teen Spirit or Black Hole Sun have you?

But still, I don't think I'd call them the best songs ever.
why wouldn't he/she have heard them? go into any club anywhere and i'll bet you'll hear SLTS, so disappointing.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
yes but have you actually *listened* to the lyrics, i think the band themselves actually admitted they were rubbish
Nope they haven't - although the reference to religion is meaningless.

I believe Michael Stipe is one of the most amazing lyricists ever - he manages to combine some very abstract words into beautiful poetry.
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
fairy nuff

As for my choice of song...probably "In my life" by the Beatles if I had to choose one
Coool - let it be is pretty amazing too i think
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For the love of God - Steve Vai.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago

I believe Michael Stipe is one of the most amazing lyricists ever - he manages to combine some very abstract words into beautiful poetry.
i was learning country feedback on my guitar last night and fell in love with it again, such a great song

still not convinced by losing my religion but tis great for a singalong
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
classic
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
i was learning country feedback on my guitar last night and fell in love with it again, such a great song

still not convinced by losing my religion but tis great for a singalong
Losing my Religion isn't one of my favourite REM tracks (but then as a commited REM nerd that's almost compulsory - "so mainstream" )

I love Daysleeper ("my bed is pulling me, gravity"), Leave, Undertow, Drive, Let me in, You are the everything, fall on me, i believe, little america, it's the end of the world etc etc etc
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In your veins, by the soundtrack of our lives. its spooper!!... prob not the greatest of all time but a song that includes the lyrics "pancakes spinning round the sun, flat earth project has begun" has gotta be a classic!
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
hey...

I bet you've never heard Smells Like Teen Spirit or Black Hole Sun have you?

But still, I don't think I'd call them the best songs ever.
oooh, black hole sun reeks! never liked it and the video was sh*te too.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)
hmm, difficult question.

Anything by Queen, or Telegraph Road by Dire Straits
I would say walk of life by dire straits is in my top list
No1 for me is Dont you forget about me by simple minds, followed by angels by robbie williams
Pop was missed off the poll so i refuse to vote
J
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
God this is a tough one.....It wouldn't technically be the best song of all time, firstly because it's only going to be defined by people's opinions and then only a select group of people's opinions but anyway my top five are...
Robbie Williams-Angels
Sum 41- Makes No Difference
Greenday-Basket Case
No Doubt-Don't Speak
and
Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Scar Tissue by the red hot chilli peppers.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

totally agree- in interviews it is so obvious that his passion is music, not the lifestyle that accompanies it. when he was on frank skinner i just wanted to give him a hug!

i really like nightswimming- when he was asked what it was about he just said 'nightswimming'. i love the chorus of the great beyond as well *i'm pushing an elephant up the stairs*...it really is one of those metaphors that sums up how you feel when you facing a losing battle. oh and everybody hurts has been known to make me cry before (but i was in an emotional mood anyway).

lou xxx
Reg
Report 16 years ago
Elton John - Burn Down the mission
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
totally agree- in interviews it is so obvious that his passion is music, not the lifestyle that accompanies it. when he was on frank skinner i just wanted to give him a hug!

i really like nightswimming- when he was asked what it was about he just said 'nightswimming'. i love the chorus of the great beyond as well *i'm pushing an elephant up the stairs*...it really is one of those metaphors that sums up how you feel when you facing a losing battle. oh and everybody hurts has been known to make me cry before (but i was in an emotional mood anyway).

lou xxx
The video to nightswiming is wonderful, really captures the atmosphere of the song - although the full frontal nudity means you'll never see it on MTV - it's on Parallel(I think) and the new DVD of the greatest hits (which remids me I really need to get all my REM videos from my mum and dig out my bootlegs to put onto my computer).

Everybody hurts and the rest of Automatic got me through puberty (and I was a very depressed miserable teenager)
Perdurabo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven.
I don't even class it as music. It's just something else. Nothing compares to it.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it would have to be ben by micheal jackson for me, sorry!!
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
it would have to be ben by micheal jackson for me, sorry!!
thats an artist, not a song
His best would undoubtably be Billie Jean I think though
J
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
thats an artist, not a song
His best would undoubtably be Billie Jean I think though
J
ben is a song
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus)
Scar Tissue by the red hot chilli peppers.
Nice one - guitar play is so intricate and projects a laid back feeling to a crazy extent - I think this is a strong candidate + possibly Otherside which had a bit of an edgy melancholy to it - Also i am aware that my response to Rah's earlier point might be a bit late but here goes - Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of the great songs because it was such a commercial success and it sold the greatest album of all time 'Nevermind' - without it we might never have heard of Nirvana - it embodies the mood of the album and the album itself - imagine Nevermind without SLTS - c'mon u can't be serious !!!!!!!!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (385)
67.19%
No (188)
32.81%

Watched Threads