This discussion is closed.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I want 'I don't wanna miss a thing' by Aerosmith playing at my funeral! How i love that song
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
Nice one - guitar play is so intricate and projects a laid back feeling to a crazy extent - I think this is a strong candidate + possibly Otherside which had a bit of an edgy melancholy to it - Also i am aware that my response to Rah's earlier point might be a bit late but here goes - Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of the great songs because it was such a commercial success and it sold the greatest album of all time 'Nevermind' - without it we might never have heard of Nirvana - it embodies the mood of the album and the album itself - imagine Nevermind without SLTS - c'mon u can't be serious !!!!!!!!!!
nirvana fans who claim nevermind is their best because its commercial aren't nirvana fans. nevermind is little more than a pop album, the songs are good but lack the depth of in utero

it's not a bad song but there is little special about it. to say it's their best would just be plain wrong.

i'll stop now before my inner musical snob makes itself further known
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Something - The Beatles,
Kinks - you really got me
Jimi Hendrix Experience - The wind cries Mary
Oasis - the masterplan
The Libertines - the good old days
EI_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Absolution)
Something - The Beatles,
Kinks - you really got me
Jimi Hendrix Experience - The wind cries Mary
Oasis - the masterplan
The Libertines - the good old days
I like Van Halen's cover of your really got me.
cornholio69
Report 16 years ago
it has to be purple haze by jimi hendrix! hendrix is the god of rock not elvis
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
nirvana fans who claim nevermind is their best because its commercial aren't nirvana fans. nevermind is little more than a pop album, the songs are good but lack the depth of in utero

it's not a bad song but there is little special about it. to say it's their best would just be plain wrong.

i'll stop now before my inner musical snob makes itself further known
I take ur point Rah because i am a musical snob as well - I agree that in utero does have far more depth because of songs like serve the servants and heartshaped-box (and lest we forget rape me) which were truly insightful - however what a lot of people will remember about the 90s is that opening riff to the 'Nevermind' album contained within SLTS - for those who arent true Nirvana fans (I pity them) they will be able to look back nostalgically at the 90s as the grunge era because of that song - but as a hardcore Nirvana fan for whom SLTS has grown too familiar (familiarity breeds contempt) I feel there are better songs than SLTS that Nirvana should be remembered for
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by cornholio69)
it has to be purple haze by jimi hendrix! hendrix is the god of rock not elvis
Jimi made his guitar speak - woah that was mind-bending music he played - and u know why he will remain unique forever - he could play amazing riffs that no one else could ever play courtesy of the monstrous size of his hands! - has anyone seen footage of 1967 (I think?) Woodstock when he was playing Purple Haze - jeez louise - lol = good call cornholio
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Jimi made his guitar speak - woah that was mind-bending music he played - and u know why he will remain unique forever - he could play amazing riffs that no one else could ever play courtesy of the monstrous size of his hands! - has anyone seen footage of 1967 (I think?) Woodstock when he was playing Purple Haze - jeez louise - lol = good call cornholio
Listen to Cacophony [Jason Becker + Marty Friedman].
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
Listen to Cacophony [Jason Becker + Marty Friedman].
cool man - what era we talking by the way?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
cool man - what era we talking by the way?
http://www.all-reviews.com/music/spe...l-symphony.htm

"Two young guitar prodigies named Jason Becker and Marty Freidman released "Speed Metal Symphony" in 1987. They called themselves Cacophony. The term cacophony in the dictionary is referred to as harsh noise. The only aspect of this album that is actually harsh is the vocals of Peter Martino. He does his best Rob Halford (Judas Priest) impression to try to match the great speed of light guitar licks of Becker and Freidman. I could appreciate the vocals at times; for the most part the sheer enjoyment I experienced was all of the incredible six-string madness that was going on. The title for this album was no doubt suitable, as it really is a speed metal symphony. I read once that rock and roll is nothing more than Beethoven and Bach played faster. Well here is proof of that statement within this shiny metal disc. Becker and Freidman make no bones about their influence right from the start with the word symphony strategically placed in the title of this release."

Jason Becker was the fastest guitar player in the world.

Have you heard Steve Vai?
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
but as a hardcore Nirvana fan for whom SLTS has grown too familiar (familiarity breeds contempt) I feel there are better songs than SLTS that Nirvana should be remembered for
ah cool thats exactly how i feel, really annoys me when people say they are nirvanas biggests fans then say SLTS is their fav(and possibly the only one they've heard)song..fools

can't consider myself a hardcore nirvana fan though as love pearl jam too much
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by rah)
ah cool thats exactly how i feel, really annoys me when people say they are nirvanas biggests fans then say SLTS is their fav(and possibly the only one they've heard)song..fools

can't consider myself a hardcore nirvana fan though as love pearl jam too much
cool man - but do u ever feel they have gone on a little too long - their album with the song - 'I am me' didnt exactly get rave reviews
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
26.67%
No (18)
60%
Don't know (4)
13.33%

Watched Threads