This discussion is closed.
James_W
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
UGHGHGHhghghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Who cares about gun crime.. it's hardly going to affect a student that much? Just be careful in the clubs as to not rawly go out looking for a fight, and you'll be fine.
erk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Living in nottingham I'd just like to say:

If you go looking for trouble, it will find you, if you dont, it wont.

Like any city, Nottingham has its bad places. eg. St Anns, Meadows, Radford etc.

As a student, you'll rarely come across these.

Lenton, rough?.. go to the meadows, and then say its rough.

If you act like a prat in front of 'them', you'll get it, just use your sense, they go out looking for trouble, if you say nothing, they'll not do anything.

I walk home from town through radford on my own, I feel safer on my own than with a group, a group > more to pick on, one guy > nothing worth fighting for.

Uni of Nottingham is on ONE campus, near Wollaton, perhaps one of the safest places in Notts.. bus's are regular to the City, ok, so after the first year, your gonna be in Accomodation, most likely at the top of Derby Road, bus's, and the other hundreds of students who live around their.

As said before, the city has its low-lifes, but it shouldn't put you off.
gando
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
I wouldn't recomment Forest Fields or Hyson Greenas they're 'dodgy areas'. Don't know anything about Arboretum area. Stick to Lenton, Dunkirk and Beeston and all will be well.

I dont know about where courses are based, but im from nottingham. Lenton is best, Beeston and Dunkirk are ****, long way out and boring. Forest fields and hyson green are cheap, lively, nice houses, lots of students, near town lots of shops.

If i was moving here id move to

1.Lenton
2.arberetum
3.forest fields
4.hyson green
5.beeston
6.dunkirk
7.radford
8.clifton
gando
Report 15 years ago
I wouldn't recomment Forest Fields or Hyson Greenas they're 'dodgy areas'. Don't know anything about Arboretum area. Stick to Lenton, Dunkirk and Beeston and all will be well.

I dont know about where courses are based, but im from nottingham. Lenton is best, Beeston and Dunkirk are ****, long way out and boring. Forest fields and hyson green are fine. cheap, lively, nice houses, lots of students, near town, lots of shops neawrby.

If i was moving here id move to

1.Lenton
2.arberetum
3.forest fields
4.hyson green
5.beeston
6.dunkirk
7.radford
8.clifton
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Dunkirk is great! I live there. It's basically 'on campus'. I'm a med student, and my walk to the lecture theatre takes less than 2 minutes. It's a good area (less studenty than Lenton, nicer housing - definately better value for money), has good bus connections etc.

I have no idea why any Uni students would choose Hyson Green or Forest Fields as they're further away, and not particularly nice. It's Trent land really too.
rae
Report 15 years ago
carringtons alright to live in bit its a little far out from nottm uni. arboretum st and forest fields are ok so long as u dont invite trouble as said, and arent "flashy". car crime can be a problem round there - mine got done on forest road even though it was on a busy section in about a month's spate of crime. not heard of much lately though. and yes there are red light districts round there. houses are huge though, and cheap.
beestons great for students at nottm uni, as is lenton, dunkirk, poss wollaton but thats a bit more pricey.
ive lived here all my life and know the city back to front, so if u want to know anything let me know
nodabooper
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by rae)
carringtons alright to live in bit its a little far out from nottm uni. arboretum st and forest fields are ok so long as u dont invite trouble as said, and arent "flashy". car crime can be a problem round there - mine got done on forest road even though it was on a busy section in about a month's spate of crime. not heard of much lately though. and yes there are red light districts round there. houses are huge though, and cheap.
beestons great for students at nottm uni, as is lenton, dunkirk, poss wollaton but thats a bit more pricey.
ive lived here all my life and know the city back to front, so if u want to know anything let me know

did you apply nottingham for medicine?
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm a 3rd year NOtts medic
nodabooper
I'm a 3rd year NOtts medic

you will be seeing me there nxt year, need AAB, which i think i will get!!!(still thinking...)

...which is the best catered accomodation (i mean area, building, medics etc wise...)
rae
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nodabooper)
did you apply nottingham for medicine?
yep, but it wasnt to be
andyreid
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
nottinghammis basically a impoverished city,even the bestr parts are not particulary good

beeston,lenton ,dunkirk are the only half decent areas in the city

radford=gun shots and muggings
sneinton=gunshots and muggings
st anns=no go
meadows= no go

its a complete dump but if you live in the areas i suggested you should be ok
nodabooper
(Original post by andyreid)
nottinghammis basically a impoverished city,even the bestr parts are not particulary good

st anns=no go
meadows= no go

thanks...coz i am coming up there from london and i only visited it during the interview and was literally confused about the whole place, so i need some help in deciding where i want to live for the nxt year or so!
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Bear in mind that Andyreid appears to hate Nottingham.

As for catered accomodation, apply for University Park (ie main campus). When I applied, you applied for the TYPE of accomo ie en-suite, single study etc. You didn't get a choice of hall.

There's not a huge amount of difference between the halls - whereever you are placed, you'll have a good time.
rae
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by andyreid)

st anns=no go
meadows= no go

that is complete bull!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rae)
that is complete bull!
Hehe! andyreid strikes again.

ANyway i am 97% sure i will accept Notts as my first choice for Law, i havent received my final ucas letter yet, and dont have any notts accom info. Do they only send it out when you accept?
nodabooper
(Original post by Ladyluck)

ANyway i am 97% sure i will accept Notts as my first choice for Law, i havent received my final ucas letter yet, and dont have any notts accom info. Do they only send it out when you accept?

when i went for my interview, they said they will send accommodation information around May, which presumably is after you accept your offers.
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)

If you've accepted it as your firm you can apply online from April 1st.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
31.82%
No (13)
59.09%
Don't know (2)
9.09%

Watched Threads