Maths GCSE MOcks Watch

This discussion is closed.
wiffmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Just took my maths GCSE mock, really screwed up, it's very hard in comparison to all the Edexcel practice papers I did.

Is it normal for mocks to be so much harder?
Probably got around 60%, pretty poor really, teacher wants me to get an A*, and do A level maths.
No chance of me doing A level, I hate maths. Anyway, what is 60% likely to give me grade wise? I'm doing higher tier.

Thanks in advance.
happysunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by wiffmaster)
Just took my maths GCSE mock, really screwed up, it's very hard in comparison to all the Edexcel practice papers I did.

Is it normal for mocks to be so much harder?
Probably got around 60%, pretty poor really, teacher wants me to get an A*, and do A level maths.
No chance of me doing A level, I hate maths. Anyway, what is 60% likely to give me grade wise? I'm doing higher tier.

Thanks in advance.
A mid/high B. You're doing great now and with reivison you can easily get an A if not an A*. Ignore your maths teacher and do what you can do and what is right for you. Good luck.
bond2004
Report 15 years ago
60% is really high i just also did my GCSE mock and got a C and am really disappointed as i wanted to do A-Level mathmatics.
jaan
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bond2004)
60% is really high i just also did my GCSE mock and got a C and am really disappointed as i wanted to do A-Level mathmatics.
hey!
dnt worry!
they will stil let u do alevel u need to get a c grade at least n nwy this is jus ur mock its not the real thing at least nw u no wat u need to work on n u hav 6months 2work on it!
i did mine last week but ive got my calculator one 2moro havnt revised yet but i dnt really care too much nemore i aint gonna get stressed!
lots a luv
xoxox
Jingo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
are we talking AQA here or another board ?

Ive also got my paper 2 (avec calculator, sry had french today lol). Im not lookin forward to it as i did pretty awful in the first one i think, 65 % I HOPE !! And my teacher told us the second is not an easy paper. Which in reality means its very hard !
*babyjane*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
trust me mocks dont matter, i didn't revise for my mocks or my real gcse last year but i improved in all my subjects when i did the real thing. i got 37% in one of my maths mocks and 4o something in the other but i got an A in the real thing. seriously don't stress.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if you can get 60% on a mock at this time you are well on your way, just hone the mistakes you mae and you should bag an A/A* in summer
Johnt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yea i only got 37% on both my maths mocks, but coursework is 40% and the mocks showed me that I need to just revise for topics such as standard form and stuff (i didn't revise for the mocks).
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm predicted an A*, it kind of scares me...
txt_eva
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As I found out the actual maths exam is easier than the mocks.

Word of warning tho. If you get C at GCSE whilst you can do Maths A-Level, it is VERY hard, I got a GCSE B & I am struggling.

If you can work hard then go for it, but remeber all A-levels are a big jump from GCSE, Maths especailly.

Eva
hertzgal16
Report 14 years ago
i just did my mocks and i got my results back...the overalll mark depends on both calculator papers and your coursework...i got 33% and 45% on my papers and came out with a Mid B!!!
txt_eva
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hertzgal16)
i just did my mocks and i got my results back...the overalll mark depends on both calculator papers and your coursework...i got 33% and 45% on my papers and came out with a Mid B!!!
*hugs* you... keep on working and you'll A-level, will be fine!
If you do D1 don't worry its p*ss easy!
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
for our mock (it was the resits paper from november and aparently the most difficult paper they have ever set). and the grade boundaries were;

C - 30%
B - 45%
A - 60%
A* - 80%

i got 74% which is a resonable A
David_Frank
Report 14 years ago
don't worry about it too much...
One simple mock test means nothing...
You are studying for maths & yourself, not for points.

for example -- myself:
I am doing as-level now.
Studying maths & further maths.
I only get 55~65% in pure maths in the first week.
(what's more, they are maths tests, not further maths tests !)

But when our school use real exams from as-level (2003.11)
for the final exams, at the end of the term.
I get 97% in pure, 92% in mechanics, 90% in statistics.

After that, I really understood.
''one exam means nothing, specially, mock exams."
:cool:
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
dnt woz- most ppl in my year got below or around 40%. you go up a grade or two between mocks and real. so you will prob get high A or A*
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
don't let it get you down, the mock wasn't designed to make you feel bad when you didn't do well, what you have to do is see the mistakes you made this time as ones you won't make in the actual exam.

categorise where you made lots of errors, like with rounding, or on particular subjects, or general mistakes, and target them in revision, like practice rounding or read through the textbook and do exercise questions on that subject.

I did pretty badly in the mock, I think 1 mark above a C, and got an A in the actual exam despite messing up majorly in at least 4 of the 20 questions.

don't just learn things, understand them. don't remember the steps of completing the square simple because you know they'll ask you it, but do it to find the minimum point of a curve, or to solve an equation without using the quadratic formula.

good luck in your exams!
CHAD
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Higher tier, edexcel:

80% + = A*
60% + = A
40% + = B
20% + = C

I got 50% in my mock maths which I was amazed at cos though I totally screwed up!
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by CHAD)
I got 50% in my mock maths which I was amazed at cos though I totally screwed up!
yeah cos 50% is amazing :rolleyes:
CHAD
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
yeah cos 50% is amazing :rolleyes:
yeah its is. Its a B and I thought I got a D, so i was pleased. Y, wot did wonder boy here get then????? 90%? well we cant all be as bright as you!
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A) i'm a girl :rolleyes:
and B) as previously stated i got 74%
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?