This discussion is closed.
wiffmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Just took my maths GCSE mock, really screwed up, it's very hard in comparison to all the Edexcel practice papers I did.

Is it normal for mocks to be so much harder?
Probably got around 60%, pretty poor really, teacher wants me to get an A*, and do A level maths.
No chance of me doing A level, I hate maths. Anyway, what is 60% likely to give me grade wise? I'm doing higher tier.

Thanks in advance.
onlylittleme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It really depends on the paper, probably a B possibly an A?? but Im not really sure. Ive had my mocks recently too, did you do the paper with LOTS of circle theorums??
wiffmaster
Rep:
?
(Original post by onlylittleme)
It really depends on the paper, probably a B possibly an A?? but Im not really sure. Ive had my mocks recently too, did you do the paper with LOTS of circle theorums??

No just 1 theorem with 6 marks. I did the November 2003 higher tier paper
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
last year in June, 54% was an A, but its usually around 60% for an A and 80% for an A*!
Ashton
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wiffmaster)
Just took my maths GCSE mock, really screwed up, it's very hard in comparison to all the Edexcel practice papers I did.

Probably got around 60%, pretty poor really, teacher wants me to get an A*, and do A level maths.
No chance of me doing A level, I hate maths. Anyway, what is 60% likely to give me grade wise? I'm doing higher tier.

Thanks in advance.
Maths mocks are always ten times harder so don't worry you always get 1 or 2 grades better in the actual thing. 60% does not mean you screwed up. You most definatley surplassed a C, and I'm you can at least get an A or B in the real thing, if your teacher thinks you can get an A*, they're not usually very generous when it comes to marks like that, so sh'es probably telling the truth. And if you don't want to do maths A level, then don't, it's meant to be really hard. Your supposed to have fun at college!
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wiffmaster)

Thanks in advance.
i got 61 % and that was a C..........intermidiate though!
Ashton
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Saf!)
i got 61 % and that was a C..........intermidiate though!
Well done! I predicted a C but 60% is quite a good C isn't it. Most people in intermediate classes get E's and F's in their mocks. You did good!
wiffmaster
Rep:
?
Thanks for all your words of encouragment everyone!
Spiral
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey, for my mock i got 45% on paper a which is a C and 55% on paper b which is a B, which averages out to 50% which is a B.
But i'm not that worried cos out of the 30 people in my class, 2 people got an A, 15 people got a B and the rest got a C (or below!), and we're top set lol.
My friend last year got a C for her mock and an A* for her real GCSE so i wouldn't worry!
capslock
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My sister did an intermediate past paper mock and got 88% (calculator) and 85% (non-calculator)...she got a B. Maximum grade is a B i think. I thought she sucked at maths!
Cacambo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I seem to remember getting a C in my GCSE Maths mocks, and I ended up with an A*! Just make sure your coursework is good!
wiffmaster
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cacambo)
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I seem to remember getting a C in my GCSE Maths mocks, and I ended up with an A*! Just make sure your coursework is good!

Good, maybe things won't be so bad after all
Rappersoul
Report 16 years ago
I have my maths higher tier paper tomorrow, 2 and a half hours in 1 session, but we get the calcular and non-calculator paper in the same session so its not too bad. im really worried i havent revised enough! Anyone done last years GCSE maths paper? whats it like? and what do i really need to spend looking over most? I also have an intermediate maths paper next tuesday and physics tomorrow. can anyone help?
Noori.
wiffmaster
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rappersoul)
I have my maths higher tier paper tomorrow, 2 and a half hours in 1 session, but we get the calcular and non-calculator paper in the same session so its not too bad. im really worried i havent revised enough! Anyone done last years GCSE maths paper? whats it like? and what do i really need to spend looking over most? I also have an intermediate maths paper next tuesday and physics tomorrow. can anyone help?
Noori.

I did the November 2003 paper, and it seemed very hard in comparison to the practice papers. It was higher tier, non-calculator, Edexcel. So if you get that paper, don't be worried if you find it really hard!
stu_uk_aussie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i did that papare they told us it was probably one of the hardest papaer that Edexcel put out but the good thing is the grade boundaries go loower i only got around 45ish% n i got a B close to an A
wiffmaster
Rep:
?
(Original post by stu_uk_aussie)
i did that papare they told us it was probably one of the hardest papaer that Edexcel put out but the good thing is the grade boundaries go loower i only got around 45ish% n i got a B close to an A

SWEET...........I just hope the calculator paper isn't as hard as the non calculator. If it is, has anyone got any tips on what to concentrate my revision on. Thanks.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Does anyone know whats coming up in the Maths Calculator and is offerring to tell us whats in it?

Also does anyone know whats coming up in the chemistry and Physics mocks...anyone do them last year?
CHAD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did my maths non-calc 2day. The edexcel one from november 2003 higher tier and I found it well hard! I really need some tips on what 2 revise 4 the calc if anyone knows? Or just general pointers?
Thank-you.
Which question on non-calc did u find the hardest?
Jingo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i did the chemistry AQA mock last week. Got my result today... 109/135!
A* so im very happy. TBH i found it suprisingly easy and i thought i would get more than that.. dont mean to complain though. lol

Physics AQA mock was quite easy aswell.. again a suprise. And biology. Generally i found all three sciences pretty easy.. suprising as ppl say mocks tend to be harder than the real thing.

though im not sure if the papers were mock papers or last years gcses. if they were they got the best papers yet.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (5)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
10%
No- I want it (3)
30%
No- I don't want it (1)