Offers and the silver lining Watch

This discussion is closed.
Glitterynat
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Just thought I'd share my little anecdote, in case anyone's in/falls into a similar situation as me....

Basically, I applied through ucas in 2003 to study English lit. I got little or no help with my personal statement, but somehow managed to get a conditional offer at york (aab). Come results day, i got abb, unexpectedly getting a b in english, yet very weirdly a distinction in the advanced extension award! And I literally only fell short of 3 a's by a couple of marks. However, york didn't want me (after I'd bought all their books and practically chosen my accomodation) so I was in a big mess in august.

Just wanted to tell people not to worry if something similar happens to you.......I've been temping for the past 5 months and earning loadsa cash to fund a big round-the-world trip. I've reapplied, and have already got into cardiff, leicester and southampton, all of which I already have the grades for. I decided to do resits in my 'b subjects' for my own peace of mind, since I was so close. I have also reapplied to york, although i am tempted to snub them if they do give me a place (although highly doubtful.....i got my offer last year really early, and now it's um, jan!). But anyway, that's my story just to say that you can still end up at a quality university, despite any setbacks.

Also wondering if people have heard from nottingham re. english yet? And what is the general opinion on cardiff/ leicester/ southampton? They all look to me pretty promising.

Share with me your thoughts! x
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hello, welcome to the forum btw!

I've also got an offer from Southampton for Eng Lit, Abb with b in english (thought that was quite random!) and Birmingham (AAB) which looks good.

I'm still waiting to hear from York and Durham, only one person i know has heard from York for English yet - they told her they rarely give offers before Christmas so don't worry - i'm not yet!

I also applied to Nottingham and Warwick - my top two choices in that order - (fell in love with Notts at the open day) and have been rejected by both, without so much as an interview at Warwick!(they don't give offers for eng without interview) I was absolutely devestated, and have emailed both unis, only to get a standard reply from Nottingham and not a peep from Warwick but i guess i'll have a great time wherever i go.

FYI, i'm predicted AAAA (inc. rubbish general studies).
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
Hello, welcome to the forum btw!

I've also got an offer from Southampton for Eng Lit, Abb with b in english (thought that was quite random!) and Birmingham (AAB) which looks good.

I'm still waiting to hear from York and Durham, only one person i know has heard from York for English yet - they told her they rarely give offers before Christmas so don't worry - i'm not yet!

I also applied to Nottingham and Warwick - my top two choices in that order - (fell in love with Notts at the open day) and have been rejected by both, without so much as an interview at Warwick!(they don't give offers for eng without interview) I was absolutely devestated, and have emailed both unis, only to get a standard reply from Nottingham and not a peep from Warwick but i guess i'll have a great time wherever i go.

FYI, i'm predicted AAAA (inc. rubbish general studies).
Bump
Glitterynat
I reckon the whole system can be fairly screwed. You have no way of knowing why a uni might reject you and accept someone else with basically the same qualifications/ predicted grades.

Btw, I'm sure that Southampton asked for a b in english in their prospectus anyway...but that's the offer I got as well.

It's impossible to tell whether no news is good news, but that's what I keep telling myself. That stupid ucas tracker has become a bit of an addiction, and it's so scary each and every time I check it............!!!

Well done with your offers...alll top 25 unis are pretty damn peachy anyway.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i had 2 AAA offers from LSE and UCL last year for law and i received this very early. I missed the offer by 4 marks in my french a level and was very upset - so now i am resitting it and I have 2 unconditional offers for law from SOAS and Essex. As u may have noted from a thread i have posted i am still waiting to hear from LSE, UCL, King's and Durham but i am happy that i am on a gap yr because i have got into shape and i am going to an ashram in april to meditate - it is all cool so dont worry about missing offers or not getting any
Glitterynat
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
i had 2 AAA offers from LSE and UCL last year for law and i received this very early. I missed the offer by 4 marks in my french a level and was very upset - so now i am resitting it and I have 2 unconditional offers for law from SOAS and Essex. As u may have noted from a thread i have posted i am still waiting to hear from LSE, UCL, King's and Durham but i am happy that i am on a gap yr because i have got into shape and i am going to an ashram in april to meditate - it is all cool so dont worry about missing offers or not getting any
Gap years are properly great. It's gone sooooooooo quickly and I feel much more prepared to go to uni now. I've turned into this independent person and it's very weird cos it's really not me. This time last year, the thought of me with a backpack would've been laughable, but now it just seems like a great adventure. I don't know if I'll have a minute free to meditate, although that sounds pretty cool!

I don't know about you, but when I went back to school to do a resit it was the strangest feeling, and I still feel like I haven't left! Wouldn't go back though...........!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Glitterynat)
Gap years are properly great. It's gone sooooooooo quickly and I feel much more prepared to go to uni now. I've turned into this independent person and it's very weird cos it's really not me. This time last year, the thought of me with a backpack would've been laughable, but now it just seems like a great adventure. I don't know if I'll have a minute free to meditate, although that sounds pretty cool!

I don't know about you, but when I went back to school to do a resit it was the strangest feeling, and I still feel like I haven't left! Wouldn't go back though...........!
nah - i didnt feel like that - all those looks - how come HE is back at school - i thought he was supposed to be clever etc. I agree with u about gap yrs though - i was overweight and probably wouldnt have enjoyed uni - but now i am perhaps 1/2 stone heavier than i would like to be and i cant wait until i get to india - perhaps work at a law firm when i get back - but coursework (french) to do still - but shouldnt take too long- i never thought i would go on a gap year
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
nah - i didnt feel like that - all those looks - how come HE is back at school - i thought he was supposed to be clever etc. I agree with u about gap yrs though - i was overweight and probably wouldnt have enjoyed uni - but now i am perhaps 1/2 stone heavier than i would like to be and i cant wait until i get to india - perhaps work at a law firm when i get back - but coursework (french) to do still - but shouldnt take too long- i never thought i would go on a gap year
Glitterynat
To be fair, I did get a few looks from the year 12s, but chose to ignore I'm not that concerned with what other people think, all I know is I'm doing this for me, not them.

Yay....will probably get really ill when travelling and so get really skinny...and then look all tanned and healthy when I get back! I'll also be way more confident when it comes to actually going to uni, because I'll have already made like a million backpacker friends! Seriously, cannot wait...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (153)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.38%
No- I want it (70)
27.89%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.77%

Watched Threads