This discussion is closed.
Saf!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
get to miss school tho....
yep!.....that's the gud bit..............but there's summat goin on in our school tomorrow so there wouldn't have been normal lessons anyway!(that's the bad bit!)
Saf!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pegasus)
Have fun!!
thanx!
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Saf!)
Tom Hanks!............i wouldn't mind livin in london, imean all those shops!.....in bradford we don't have many high street shops!
yeah - he was buying this pen for like £5000 in mont blanc
Saf!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tinykates)
yeah - he was buying this pen for like £5000 in mont blanc
a pen for £5000??..............these ppl sure do have money to burn!
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Saf!)
yep!.....that's the gud bit..............but there's summat goin on in our school tomorrow so there wouldn't have been normal lessons anyway!(that's the bad bit!)
unlucky times two then
Saf!
Rep:
?
unlucky times two then
lol!
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Last time i went it was great, is that huge thing still in the turbine hall? if you dont like standing and stairing then u might not like it, but its a stunning place with huge diversity of exhibits
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
other bits did seem to be a little strange some of the painting (not sure if they were) were just large shapes of different colours and were just a little too abstract for my liking
That sounds like mark rothko's pieces in the tate, I thought they were wonderfully atmospheric!

The Saatchi collection was much funnier but of less artistic merit I think, some people couldn't bare to look at Hirst's work! Apparently it's gruesome or something.

Alaric.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
That sounds like mark rothko's pieces in the tate, I thought they were wonderfully atmospheric!

The Saatchi collection was much funnier but of less artistic merit I think, some people couldn't bare to look at Hirst's work! Apparently it's gruesome or something.

Alaric.
is rothko american cos this person was and i think he was male (only 2 things i can rember about it)
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The Saatchi collection is amazing, not because i think it holds great artistic merit but i think it has the power to shock, although there are sum good pieces in his collection, such as the giant face. I think both locations also have fantasic building tate modern is stunning and county hall is also stunning but in a less dramatic way.
Saf!
Rep:
?
all this stuff sounds gud......and it hope my day turns out to be gud!

n'ways i gotta go now so c-ya everyone!!!
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Saf!)
all this stuff sounds gud......and it hope my day turns out to be gud!

n'ways i gotta go now so c-ya everyone!!!
bye hope u have a good time, let us know what u think of the art!
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
is rothko american cos this person was and i think he was male (only 2 things i can rember about it)
I believe so, the walls in the room were grey if I recall correctly and it was slightly dimmed. It added to the effect of the paintings. Although simplisitic paintings such as Rothko may not be able to captivate your concious attention for long their inherent atmospheric value seems enough to influence people perceptions. There is something about Rothko's work that someho reaches further than fuzzy blocks of colour, for me at least.

(Original post by cobra01977)
The Saatchi collection is amazing, not because i think it holds great artistic merit but i think it has the power to shock, although there are sum good pieces in his collection, such as the giant face. I think both locations also have fantasic building tate modern is stunning and county hall is also stunning but in a less dramatic way.
Yeah the locations a good, though the Tate is clearly set up in a way to facilitate Art display more than the more generic spavces of the former GLC buildings.

The first room of the Saatchi collection is rather dominated by Hirst (the segmented cow, the dead butterflies and the dead/living flies), I observed several people who couldn't stomach it walk straigh through.
The juxtaposition of some of the pieces I though was rather clever, but ultimately I viewed a lot of the art as sensationalist. There were some good pieces, notably Hirst's pharmaceutical pieces were much better than his more famous ones. The pretend dead mice also got some amusing reactions!!!

Alaric.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (218)
68.13%
No (102)
31.88%

Watched Threads