This discussion is closed.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Has anyone built one of these, or had a go with them? I'm seriously considering making one on my weekends so i have something "constructive" to do, and just wanted to see if anyone here knows much about them.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
they hurt, ouch
G4ry
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danithestudent)
they hurt, ouch
I take it that's the voice of experience.

What type of propulsion was used? Was it just air, or was it a combustion type?
deathisg0d
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
I've never built one myself, but i just happened to have a conversation at school today with a guy i know that has one he built. He didn't say much about it except that he used PVC pipe and he uses hairspray to propel the potatoes. If you like i can ask him specifics about how he built it, and i'll tell you as long as i can find the thread again.
G4ry
Rep:
?
To be honest i don't want to use hairspray because i don't want to injure myself if things go wrong. I think i'd just use air, with a 3 metre barrel.

I have some sites about it and they have plans. Perhaps you could ask him where he found out from.

Thanks.
deathisg0d
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Nah, i think you misunderstand the use of the hairspray, you don't use the can, and you don't have to spray it while you light it. He told me you simply spray it in the back of the chamber for a few seconds, although that could still possibly be dangerous for some people with bad karma, it wouldn't pose as much a threat as the other two senarios. But whatever you want man, i'll ask and see if he got his plans for it off of a website if you like.
TK0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
g4ry i would say be careful, particularly if using explosive gas, these spuds can go through trees. even compressed air can cause the container to explode. careful!
G4ry
Rep:
?
I'd stick to Oxygen first, they sound cool. You can try out smaller stuff first, before you give it "johnny large potatoes" excuse the pun. Water even works with it i believe.

Thanks for the concern anyway.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (384)
67.13%
No (188)
32.87%

Watched Threads