This discussion is closed.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Lol, bumps racing is quite confusing I guess. Sometimes there is contact between the boats, and coxes and bows sometimes get taken out in the lower divisions here lol!!!! Can get quite violent. Torpids is starting this week, so I'm sure there will be plenty of hospital trips. Basically in bumps races all the crews are in divisions and line up along the river. The aim is to move up to the head of the river by 'bumping' the crew in front of you. If you get bumped, you're out. If you do particularly well you move up a division. Sometimes the criteria for being 'bumped' changes, but it's usually when another crew pulls up half a length alongside you.
The logic to that is beyond me. I'll stick to breaking peoples collar bones man to man
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
The logic to that is beyond me. I'll stick to breaking peoples collar bones man to man
what position do you play?

ooo this is my 300th post
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
what position do you play?

ooo this is my 300th post
Outside centre. Sometimes inside centre or stand off.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why bumped for getting beat? Its not like there is any contact between boats, it confuses me.
Because there is contact between them - a bump is when your boat/blade/bowman touches the boat/blade/cox in front. Someone got a blade in the head today - not nice, though I didn't see it.

Whatever LMBC mens mean I have no Idea.
It's the John's boat club. Stands for Lady Margaret Boat Club.

Who the hell is Brian Potter?

And you wouldn't make a very good rower if you spent the whole time, as you do here, mouthing off about how lame it is.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Because there is contact between them - a bump is when your boat/blade/bowman touches the boat/blade/cox in front. Someone got a blade in the head today - not nice, though I didn't see it.

It's the John's boat club. Stands for Lady Margaret Boat Club.

Who the hell is Brian Potter?

And you wouldn't make a very good rower if you spent the whole time, as you do here, mouthing off about how lame it is.

Hehe, I cannot believe you dont know who Brian Potter is *smacks Helenia*. Pheonix Nights?????

I shall have to meet these people.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hehe, I cannot believe you dont know who Brian Potter is *smacks Helenia*. Pheonix Nights?????

I shall have to meet these people.
Nope, never seen it. I don't have a TV here. Is it something I really should be watching?
Sim4321
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
The girl who got hit in the head was pembroke women's II bow. She is ok, was taken to hospital, let out the following evening, but unfortunatewly missed the rowing dinner to beat all rowing dinners on monday night! What a mess that was!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?