The Student Room Group

Cambridge Law test...

Hi guys

I was wondering how you can prepare for the Cambridge Law Test. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you take it right before the interview in December, but they only created this test two years ago or so. Therefore there are hardly any past paper/sample questions available. So can anyone help me out how best to prepare for those? Suggestions of books are welcome. I'm guessing it is quite similar to LNAT and LSAT (the US version of a law school test), so if there are really helpful books on LNAT/LSAT, let me know.

Thanks!

PS: Quote please
Reply 1
You'll get a better response to this in the Cambridge forum I think.
The test was new last year, so only one round of applicants have sat the test before. I also don't think we're meant to discuss it. You could ask last year's applicants to your chosen college what type of test they were given, but there's no guarantee that they'll use the same again. It's set internally and, as I say, has only been set once, so there's not much to go on.
Unfortunately, you really can't prepare for it at all, and it's not really that similar to the LNAT. Check out this website to give you an introduction. The best you can do is keep up to date with the news and brush up on your essay writing skills, as well as your English grammar. There are no multiple choice questions. You may well be asked to read something like a judgement, an article or the facts of a case and answer questions explaining the judge's reasoning, or you may be asked a more abstract question about the law - a morally oriented question, a question about the motivation for certain types of law, something about the function or legitimacy of laws, or question about certain types of criminal offences. You won't need any prior knowledge of the law and they'll give you all the information you'll need to know.
EDIT: Yeh, to confirm, you take the test when you go for interview in December.
Reply 2
Selendis
Hi guys

I was wondering how you can prepare for the Cambridge Law Test. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you take it right before the interview in December, but they only created this test two years ago or so. Therefore there are hardly any past paper/sample questions available. So can anyone help me out how best to prepare for those? Suggestions of books are welcome. I'm guessing it is quite similar to LNAT and LSAT (the US version of a law school test), so if there are really helpful books on LNAT/LSAT, let me know.

Thanks!

PS: Quote please
I sat both the LNAT and the CLT last year, and they're quite different. The LNAT includes 30 (if I remember correctly) multiple choice questions with one essay at the end, whereas the CLT is solely essay based. Therefore, LNAT revision books probably won't be of much use to you. What I found handy was using the practice questions given on the Cambridge website (EDIT: here it ishttp://www.law.cam.ac.uk/admissions/cambridge-law-test-specimen-questions.php) and using Glanville Williams, Learning the Law. This book is recommended reading according to the Cambridge law department anyway, and has loads of useful information which will be relevant whichever university you end up at. It has handy tips for structuring an essay. Also, if you don't take essay-based A levels, just make sure that your timed essay writing is up to scratch. And good luck!
Reply 3
becbec :)
You'll get a better response to this in the Cambridge forum I think.
The test was new last year, so only one round of applicants have sat the test before. I also don't think we're meant to discuss it. You could ask last year's applicants to your chosen college what type of test they were given, but there's no guarantee that they'll use the same again. It's set internally and, as I say, has only been set once, so there's not much to go on.
Unfortunately, you really can't prepare for it at all, and it's not really that similar to the LNAT. Check out this website to give you an introduction. The best you can do is keep up to date with the news and brush up on your essay writing skills, as well as your English grammar. There are no multiple choice questions. You may well be asked to read something like a judgement, an article or the facts of a case and answer questions explaining the judge's reasoning, or you may be asked a more abstract question about the law - a morally oriented question, a question about the motivation for certain types of law, something about the function or legitimacy of laws, or question about certain types of criminal offences. You won't need any prior knowledge of the law and they'll give you all the information you'll need to know.
EDIT: Yeh, to confirm, you take the test when you go for interview in December.

Thanks for the info! Although it isn't great news that one can't prepare, I guess everyone is on the same boat.

PS: Sorry keep on asking questions, but I am hoping to apply to Trinity and I read below that you're about to read law there this year! What was your interview like? Who did you have?
Reply 4
_tiggy_
I sat both the LNAT and the CLT last year, and they're quite different. The LNAT includes 30 (if I remember correctly) multiple choice questions with one essay at the end, whereas the CLT is solely essay based. Therefore, LNAT revision books probably won't be of much use to you. What I found handy was using the practice questions given on the Cambridge website (EDIT: here it ishttp://www.law.cam.ac.uk/admissions/cambridge-law-test-specimen-questions.php) and using Glanville Williams, Learning the Law. This book is recommended reading according to the Cambridge law department anyway, and has loads of useful information which will be relevant whichever university you end up at. It has handy tips for structuring an essay. Also, if you don't take essay-based A levels, just make sure that your timed essay writing is up to scratch. And good luck!

Many thanks! I'll try my best :biggrin: *reads Learning the Law now*
Reply 5
Selendis
Thanks for the info! Although it isn't great news that one can't prepare, I guess everyone is on the same boat.

PS: Sorry keep on asking questions, but I am hoping to apply to Trinity and I read below that you're about to read law there this year! What was your interview like? Who did you have?

No worries, I like questions :bigsmile: And you're right - everyone else is in the same boat, so as long as you try your hardest, the rest will have to be pretty much instinctive!

Yeh 'Learning the Law' will be the best prep. And in terms of preparing for interview, you should also take a look at 'What About Law?' and 'Learning Legal Rules' :yep:

Well I had two interviewers - but between all the Trinity law applicants, we pretty much covered all the law staff. So not everyone had the same interviewers. Interview wasn't too bad - there was the scenario to go over, where you should focus on the English and individual words used. Be as detailed in your responses as possible. Then I got asked some general questions and some more abstract ones. It was challenging and I certainly didn't feel confident afterwards, but obviously it wasn't that bad! (:
Reply 6
becbec :)
No worries, I like questions :bigsmile: And you're right - everyone else is in the same boat, so as long as you try your hardest, the rest will have to be pretty much instinctive!

Yeh 'Learning the Law' will be the best prep. And in terms of preparing for interview, you should also take a look at 'What About Law?' and 'Learning Legal Rules' :yep:

Well I had two interviewers - but between all the Trinity law applicants, we pretty much covered all the law staff. So not everyone had the same interviewers. Interview wasn't too bad - there was the scenario to go over, where you should focus on the English and individual words used. Be as detailed in your responses as possible. Then I got asked some general questions and some more abstract ones. It was challenging and I certainly didn't feel confident afterwards, but obviously it wasn't that bad! (:

Hehe of course it wasn't bad for you :biggrin: but I guess you have been through this exact same process so you know what it feels like. Oh man, I better get started with reading those books then. I feel so burdened with the IB :frown: Thanks again! Have fun at Cambridge! I went to the Cambridge Law Conference this February; the Law faculty professors were amazing :smile:
Reply 7
Selendis
Hehe of course it wasn't bad for you :biggrin: but I guess you have been through this exact same process so you know what it feels like. Oh man, I better get started with reading those books then. I feel so burdened with the IB :frown: Thanks again! Have fun at Cambridge! I went to the Cambridge Law Conference this February; the Law faculty professors were amazing :smile:

Yeh I went to the Conference and I loved it as well - definitely worth it. They spoke about that at interview actually. I think it looks pretty good on the application. When I was at the Conference the students running it said something like "Around 2/3 of the people sitting here this time last year are currently holding offers to read law here".
Thanks! And lemme know if there's anything else you'd like to know. Best of luck with your application! :bigsmile:
Reply 8
Original post by becbec :)
Yeh I went to the Conference and I loved it as well - definitely worth it. They spoke about that at interview actually. I think it looks pretty good on the application. When I was at the Conference the students running it said something like "Around 2/3 of the people sitting here this time last year are currently holding offers to read law here".
Thanks! And lemme know if there's anything else you'd like to know. Best of luck with your application! :bigsmile:

Sorry to disturb you and I know this may be some time back for you. I am also going to apply for Cambridge Law soon and I am in need of some help. Firstly, to get considered for an interview what did you do as part of extra-curricular and also that of were you grades predicted at A*. Secondly, are there any ways to boost your chances in order to get into the Law course at Cambridge. Finally, the law test - what kind of questions do they ask and perhaps have you got a rough idea of what was asked of you or anyone you know. I will really appreciate this help from you and as I can see earlier from this thread you seem to have more experience. Will appreciate very much. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending