Choccy94
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well I recently decided (after finding out that I could) that I wanted to study medicine (as opposed to physics/medical physics).

However, I have 12 piercings at the minute (11 on my ears and 1 hidden tongue web) and would quite like to get a couple more on my ears.
I started year 12 today, and I was hoping to volunteer/get work experience in the hospital within the next 2 years, but I have no idea what to do about my piercings.

I don't particularly want to take them out just yet, for the sake of a few weeks work experience (however when it comes to crunch time and I have to take them out for work or university I will do). I was thinking of putting clear retainers in them (as they are only on my ears and can easily be hidden by my hair) but I was just wondering how well it would go down with the hospital if I was doing work experience of some kind.

Anyone got any experiences/advice to share? I'd really appreciate any help on the matter :o:
MALIK HAMID
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can you not just take them out, go to work experience, come home, put them in? :lolwut:

On a side note, all piercings other than one on each ear lobe for girls look disgusting.
VeryRandomGirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They might close up, some of mine at first started closing up even when I was just changing the stud. It depends how attached you are to them.
TheCrackFox
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why the need for 12 ear piercings. It just generally looks repulsive and unsightly to most people, and that'not just me; it's the general consensus on a superfluous amount of piercings, tattoos etc.
Chimaira
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MALIK HAMID)
On a side note, all piercings other than one on each ear lobe for girls look disgusting.
Ehhm, no they don't.
MALIK HAMID
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chimaira)
Ehhm, no they don't.
Well, its a matter of opinion and I'm pretty sure most people would agree with me. :cool:
gozatron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MALIK HAMID)
Well, its a matter of opinion and I'm pretty sure most people would agree with me. :cool:
Belly button piercings are pretty hot..
Renal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not at all unusual to find medical students, and junior doctors, with interesting hair styles and body mods.

However, it sends a clear message to patients and to colleagues. And I don't think you want to do that.
Choccy94
Rep:
?
I understand that they send a clear message, and I will take them out when I know that my future is confirmed: I.E. In university.
However I just wouldn't like them to close up for the sake of a week's experience.

Surely having the holes there is no different to having the clear, practically invisible retainers in - the piercings are/were still there.

And I didn't ask for a debate on whether they looked good or not, I like them and that's what's important to me.

All I wanted to know was would it be acceptable for me to put clear retainers in to make the piercings as discreet as possible, and THEN take them out when I know for a fact I'll be working in medicine.
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Holes in the face or a career in medicine?
Hmmm.
Flying Scotsman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Piercings are hideous..
Choccy94
Rep:
?
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Holes in the face or a career in medicine?
Hmmm.
I clearly stated I didn't have/want ANY holes in my face, for that reason. I wanted piercings that are easily hidden, but at the same time I want to be able to still wear them while I can. As I say, I'd rather wait until this 'career in medicine' is confirmed before I give them up, because some of them mean something :\
Nynyflower
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Could you wear a headband that covers your ears? You might have to take them out for hygiene reasons though.
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Choccy94)
because some of them mean something :\
Really?

When I have holes in my face, they tend to mean OH GOD I SHOULDN'T USE THE STAPLER WHEN IM DRUNK.
Choccy94
Rep:
?
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Really?

When I have holes in my face, they tend to mean OH GOD I SHOULDN'T USE THE STAPLER WHEN IM DRUNK.
I don't have facial piercings

And yes. Some of them are to do with memorable times/celebrations and one of them (well, technically 3) is a rather unique piercing that is very uncommon, and I'd kinda like to keep it for a little longer.

Seriously though guys. Clear retainers, would they care all that much if I were working there for a week :rolleyes:
Lantana
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had a vertical labret (which I miss very much ) which I used to take out and put in a small container for the duration when I was on the ward. Now I'm on the course, it's been taken out but it's a balance of priorities. I think your best option is to ask wherever you go for work experience what they expect of you and if you can comprimise by putting clear retainers in or plasters over those piercings you can't take out.
ladycharchar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Jeez, if she likes piercings then just let her be. She didn't ask for opinions on them!
Choccy94
Rep:
?
Thanks to both of you.
If I have to go to an interview I will go with clear retainers and ask if it's ok with them
missemilyelizabeth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have 6, 4 in one ear and 2 in the other. I've had roughly 2 weeks medical work experience (in 3 different hospitals) and the staff were fine with it! The clear retainer seems much better though. Just hide most with your hair, and as long as you are scrupulous about hygiene once there (which goes without saying really seeing as you'll probs be in a clinical environment) it won't matter.

I don't think any of mine are unsightly, all of them are really discrete. It's all a matter of personal preference, and she clearly didn't ask anyone for their personal opinion, beauty is subjective so why start challenging it?!
lekky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you are observing surgery, you will have to take everything out including clear retainers. Otherwise I can't see the problem with them? Most people probably wouldn't even notice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (115)
40.35%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (31)
10.88%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (22)
7.72%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (65)
22.81%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
11.58%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.67%

Watched Threads