This discussion is closed.
Bathwater
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi people,

I was wondering if anybody is currently doing a degree in computer science and has not taken Further Maths to A2 or even AS level?

or if you know anyone that is?

cheers.
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello. I didn't do further maths. Or regular maths, for that matter.
MarknSpark
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know of people that have done this.
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bathwater)
Hi people,

I was wondering if anybody is currently doing a degree in computer science and has not taken Further Maths to A2 or even AS level?

or if you know anyone that is?

cheers.
me, i didnt do any, and in my maths modules i did really well, 85% and 82% just from doing gcse 8 years before!

someone on my course who i new when i was like 10 (what are the odds of that!) went to cambridge and did a degree, and did alevels etc and he said it was a-level(ish) maths so i guess its not a problem as you can learn what you need, though doing it previously means you work a lot less hard than i did, which was quite hard tbh
Bathwater
(Original post by jermaindefoe)
me, i didnt do any, and in my maths modules i did really well, 85% and 82% just from doing gcse 8 years before!

someone on my course who i new when i was like 10 (what are the odds of that!) went to cambridge and did a degree, and did alevels etc and he said it was a-level(ish) maths so i guess its not a problem as you can learn what you need, though doing it previously means you work a lot less hard than i did, which was quite hard tbh
Wow, he went to Cambridge? I'm looking to get into Oxford, and i think i'm only able to do AS Further Maths. Still a chance of getting in?

btw, Jermain Defoe used to attend my school
jermaindefoe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow, he went to Cambridge? I'm looking to get into Oxford, and i think i'm only able to do AS Further Maths. Still a chance of getting in?

btw, Jermain Defoe used to attend my school
he did engineering at cambridge, then came back to my uni at 23(my age) which was kent where we are both doing comp science.

I assume you need alevel maths to go to cambridge/oxford for pretty much everything :holmes:
Bathwater
oh ok, so he didn't get in to the computer science course at Cambridge..

yeah, pretty much xD
and plus, they emphasise maths for computer science at oxford, so they 'prefer' those who do Further Maths, but 'will also consider' those whose colleges do not offer it, or have only taken AS Further Maths. The truthfulness behind those words seems somewhat lost, considering it IS oxford, after all..
jermaindefoe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oh ok, so he didn't get in to the computer science course at Cambridge..

yeah, pretty much xD
and plus, they emphasise maths for computer science at oxford, so they 'prefer' those who do Further Maths, but 'will also consider' those whose colleges do not offer it, or have only taken AS Further Maths. The truthfulness behind those words seems somewhat lost, considering it IS oxford, after all..
he didnt apply there again, he did his second degree at kent as its right next to his parents, thats where he did computer science, he would have got in to comp sci at cambridge tho
Magical Moogles
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think any university requires Further Maths as part of their entry requirements for a Computer Science degree, but some of the "top" departments might begin to ask for it. I do think though, they would look at a Further Maths student quite favourably. If you think you are capable of taking A2 Further Maths, I highly recommend it - otherwise, don't worry.

The only essential subject is A Level Maths. It might be hard to believe, but taking A Level Computing was never good preparation for a Computer Science degree - many lecturers would agree it teaches bad habits. It might not be so bad now the syllabus has changed dramatically...but now I'm babbling. :p:
Bathwater
(Original post by Magical Moogles)
I don't think any university requires Further Maths as part of their entry requirements for a Computer Science degree, but some of the "top" departments might begin to ask for it. I do think though, they would look at a Further Maths student quite favourably. If you think you are capable of taking A2 Further Maths, I highly recommend it - otherwise, don't worry.

The only essential subject is A Level Maths. It might be hard to believe, but taking A Level Computing was never good preparation for a Computer Science degree - many lecturers would agree it teaches bad habits. It might not be so bad now the syllabus has changed dramatically...but now I'm babbling. :p:
I've gotta agree with you there. A level computing seems to be more focused around databases and business-y topics rather than the core elements of computer science. The only reason why i'm continuing it is because I don't want to drop another subject -I'm already dropping Media Studies (yeah, I know ¬_¬).
I can only work with what I have, so taking Further Maths is the most I can do safely.

Thanks for your responses
Harry-Potter
Badges: 10
Report 5 years ago
I did maths, bio and psych for a-level.
Did not do urther maths
I am now studying CS at uni
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (197)
39.01%
Take autumn exams (153)
30.3%
Look for a job (17)
3.37%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.16%
Take a year out (87)
17.23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
5.94%

Watched Threads