The Student Room Group

Is English Lang/Lit a good A-level subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
bruce_t89
I know someone who studies Law at East Anglia (very good uni for the subject). She messed up her ASs, so decided to retake the year with different subjects. She achieved AAB in Sociology, Government & Politics and English Literature.

This example demonstrates that you can still get into some excellent unis.:smile:

That's cool :smile: so are places like LSE, imperial, and whatnot out of the question? Is UCL still somewhere I can apply to if they accept people who do 3 years? Sorry for all the questions by the way. xD
Reply 21
Danz123
That's cool :smile: so are places like LSE, imperial, and whatnot out of the question? Is UCL still somewhere I can apply to if they accept people who do 3 years? Sorry for all the questions by the way. xD

I don't think UCL mind resits/retaken years, so you may still have a chance. Call them up just in case or look on their website.

It's okay. I understand that uni reputation is really important when it comes to Law.
Reply 22
bruce_t89
I don't think UCL mind resits/retaken years, so you may still have a chance. Call them up just in case or look on their website.

It's okay. I understand that uni reputation is really important when it comes to Law.

Oh OK cool :smile:

Well I'm just a big dreamer, and all the uni's I want to go to seem to be out of my reach, UCL I might realistically get, but others like Cambridge, I can't. :frown:
Reply 23
Danz123
Oh OK cool :smile:

Well I'm just a big dreamer, and all the uni's I want to go to seem to be out of my reach, UCL I might realistically get, but others like Cambridge, I can't. :frown:

Don't worry about it too much. You definitely have a good shot of getting into UCL.

Here's a link of the list of subjects they deem as acceptable. All of your subjects are on it. :smile:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/application-and-entry/alevel-qualifications
Reply 24
bruce_t89
Don't worry about it too much. You definitely have a good shot of getting into UCL.

Here's a link of the list of subjects they deem as acceptable. All of your subjects are on it. :smile:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/application-and-entry/alevel-qualifications

*Phew* that's a relief :smile:

Haha I know I'd run around for ages smiling if I got accepted, but that's a long way off from right now.

Thanks again. :biggrin:
To answer someones question Oxofrd or Cambridge only take up one space on the UCAS form.
I too worried about Lang\lit and had an answer to justify taking it (if you were a good student my school advised you to do combined course) and obviously lit is seen as more traditional. However, the only time this was ever an issue was on requirements for Cambridge English , some colleges like Selwyn for example prefer English candidates to have done literature over Lang/Lit. Though it could be an issue for law as top unis put emphasis on the traditional subjects, a friend aplying for law swapped to Lit from Lang\lit on the advice of an Oxford tutor.
bruce_t89

quick 2 cents :

acceptable does not imply preferable. film studies is on that list - that does not mean they will consider an applicant with an A in film studies as the equal of an applicant with an A in english literature.
Reply 27
Danz123
*Phew* that's a relief :smile:

Haha I know I'd run around for ages smiling if I got accepted, but that's a long way off from right now.

Thanks again. :biggrin:

No problem.:smile:

Listen to JordanLLoyd. You need to have a range of uni choices including some lower ones, especially as Law is a competitive course.
Reply 28
TimmonaPortella
quick 2 cents :

acceptable does not imply preferable. film studies is on that list - that does not mean they will consider an applicant with an A in film studies as the equal of an applicant with an A in english literature.

I understand your point. But his choices are reasonable if not the 'most respectable' (they're a lot more respected than Film Studies).

My friend who studies Computer Science at UCL did Business Studies at A-level. Not everything is about subject choices. The interview is just as critically important. The personal statement also plays a role, but not quite as significant as other factors.
Reply 29
bruce_t89
I understand your point. But his choices are reasonable if not the 'most respectable' (they're a lot more respected than Film Studies).

My friend who studies Computer Science at UCL did Business Studies at A-level. Not everything is about subject choices. The interview is just as critically important.

UCL rarely interview for Law.
Law is one of the most competitive courses, I'd advise taking as many "respected" A-Levels as possible.
PPE too.
Reply 30
UCL only accept English Literature for the Q300 degree, from what I read :frown: I'm not sure about Oxbridge or anything though. I think maybe for an English Literature course they won't accept it but I don't think it can do you much harm for a majority of other degrees, though of course I may be wrong :s-smilie: :s-smilie: The rest of your subject choices seem decent too.

I studied English Lang/Lit combined. Admittedly not all of my university choices were highly competitive but I still don't believe it hindered me in any way. If I was able to choose again I would choose English Literature, however, but then that would mean having to sacrifice my amazingly brilliant teacher :love: :love: He is / was the best :coma: :coma:
Reply 31
Mann18
UCL rarely interview for Law.
Law is one of the most competitive courses, I'd advise taking as many "respected" A-Levels as possible.
PPE too.

Sorry, my bad
bruce_t89

I was disputing your logic, not your advice.

English lit is more respected than combined. Alone, choosing combined rather than lit should have no significant effect - lit, though, is more respected, and as one of a range of factors this could feasibly affect the result. Ultimately depends how much the individual dislikes lit/ likes combined as to whether it is worth that risk.
Reply 33
TimmonaPortella
I was disputing your logic, not your advice.

English lit is more respected than combined. Alone, choosing combined rather than lit should have no significant effect - lit, though, is more respected, and as one of a range of factors this could feasibly affect the result. Ultimately depends how much the individual dislikes lit/ likes combined as to whether it is worth that risk.

I never said that it wasn't more respected. I told the OP to take up Lit instead but he explained to me that due to complications he can't study it.

Okay, I admit that the list is flawed.
bruce_t89
I never said that it wasn't more respected. I told the OP to take up Lit instead but he explained to me that due to complications he can't study it.

Okay, I admit that the list is flawed.

touché
fair play then, we are in agreement :colonhash:
Reply 35
TimmonaPortella
touché
fair play then, we are in agreement :colonhash:

:yep:
Reply 36
OK, so apparently UCL rarely interview for law because it's so competitive, and English lit would be advisable to take. I'm not sure if I can switch one of my subjects at this time but I'll try. It should be worth it in the long run, even though there will be complications.

bruce_t89 - it's not that I can't study english literature, it's just it's more of a hassle. I go to one of four partner school sixth forms, so if I can somehow get to do lit, I'll have to travel to another partner school for the lessons, whilst doing the other 3 in the school I'm going to. The other partner school is like a half hour by bus to get there from the school I go to. I just thought it would be more convinient to do lang/lit, so I could study all my subs in one place, but if lit is going to help me into UCL more than lang/lit, I may aswell take it.
English lnag/lit is surprisingly hard! I know alot of science buffs on here would contradict that, but
I found it harder than biology...I dropped it though. :P
Ooh, psychology is great. The 1st year is soo easy but I've heard the 2nd year is alot harder.
You've got yourself some nice subjects there Mr.
Reply 38
Danz123
OK, so apparently UCL rarely interview for law because it's so competitive, and English lit would be advisable to take. I'm not sure if I can switch one of my subjects at this time but I'll try. It should be worth it in the long run, even though there will be complications.

bruce_t89 - it's not that I can't study english literature, it's just it's more of a hassle. I go to one of four partner school sixth forms, so if I can somehow get to do lit, I'll have to travel to another partner school for the lessons, whilst doing the other 3 in the school I'm going to. The other partner school is like a half hour by bus to get there from the school I go to. I just thought it would be more convinient to do lang/lit, so I could study all my subs in one place, but if lit is going to help me into UCL more than lang/lit, I may aswell take it.

If you're willing to travel a little then you might as well take up the opportunity. It's only a 30 minute journey.

Good luck.:smile:
Reply 39
bruce_t89
If you're willing to travel a little then you might as well take up the opportunity. It's only a 30 minute journey.

Good luck.:smile:

However, as I said before I start next monday. I do have induction day tommorow, so I could ask at that time if I can switch, but I'm really not sure I can. If I can't, hopefully it won't matter too much and I'll work hard to get the grades I need anyway.

Thanks man, you've replied alot and given me a lot of info and encouragement. xD :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest