Isn't it obvious prison is not the answer! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
Prison is a form of punishment but not an effective one.

There must be an other alternative and effective solution to prison as it is clear that its not the answer and in a few years to come it wont even be possible to send criminals to prison because they will be all full!
You keep saying prision is not effective. Im saying you forget to count the whole picture. Ok, so many of those who get sentenced to prision do not get rehabilitated. Still, many do! Don't forget to count those. Furthermore, prision do have a dettering effect, and this is undoubtly a large part of the picture. Had we not have had prisions, I can guarantee you that things would be far worse. Furthermore, I think prisions is one of the best solutions that do not violate the human rights charter.
edufly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
You keep saying prision is not effective. Im saying you forget to count the whole picture. Ok, so many of those who get sentenced to prision do not get rehabilitated. Still, many do! Don't forget to count those. Furthermore, prision do have a dettering effect, and this is undoubtly a large part of the picture. Had we not have had prisions, I can guarantee you that things would be far worse. Furthermore, I think prisions is one of the best solutions that do not violate the human rights charter.
You say prison is a detterent - ermm..didn't you check the crime figures lately!

A punishment should be more rehabilitaion based.
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You say prison is a detterent - ermm..didn't you check the crime figures lately!

A punishment should be more rehabilitaion based.
You cant say prision is not a deterrent because there is lots of crime. If the crime figures are high now, all that means is that they would be EVEN HIGHER if we did not have prisions. I must say you are quit quick to assume that prision is useless from very vague arguments...

Alos, you say a punishment should be rehabilitation based. Well, this is pretty much the political corectness in Swedish schools. The result? Sweden has quite remarkably great problems with mobbing and violence in the schools. Basicly, if someone pick on you in a swedish school, the smartest thing you can do is to beat em up, cus the teatchers are not going to, nor are they allowed to, actually do anything effective about the situation. This is the sad consequence of the sort of political corectness saying you should be constructive rather than punishing.
edufly
Rep:
?
You cant say prision is not a deterrent because there is lots of crime. If the crime figures are high now, all that means is that they would be EVEN HIGHER if we did not have prisions. I must say you are quit quick to assume that prision is useless from very vague arguments...
My point is that prison is obviously not the answer and that another form of punishment is needed because prison is not a sustainable form of punishment. I agree it is worth while now as it is the only form of punishment a criminal could be given.

But lets think to the future....
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My point is that prison is obviously not the answer and that another form of punishment is needed because prison is not a sustainable form of punishment. I agree it is worth while now as it is the only form of punishment a criminal could be given.

But lets think to the future....
what do you mean "is not the answer". Lets get this clear from the start. You will never manage to extinguish all crime. What you can do is to minimize it. I think the problems we have now are mainly due to judgements which are too mild and lack of police officers. Other countries have much lower crime rates than Britain, even though they use similar forms of punishment. It is not the form of punishment that has caused the high crime rates.
edufly
Rep:
?
what do you mean "is not the answer". Lets get this clear from the start. You will never manage to extinguish all crime. What you can do is to minimize it. I think the problems we have now are mainly due to judgements which are too mild and lack of police officers. Other countries have much lower crime rates than Britain, even though they use similar forms of punishment. It is not the form of punishment that has caused the high crime rates.
Imagine prison as a washing machine. You put dirty clothes into the washing machine and turn it on for a while. When finished you take out the clothes and you find they are still dirty. After considerable expense you are left back in square 1.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For certain crimes prison and daily torture (until death) are the answer. But for most, hit them where it hurts. The wallet. We'll see who bothers to offend when they're on the streets.
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Imagine prison as a washing machine. You put dirty clothes into the washing machine and turn it on for a while. When finished you take out the clothes and you find they are still dirty. After considerable expense you are left back in square 1.
As I have said earlier this is far from the truth. Not all criminals are rehabilitated, Il give you that. But many are. Furthermore, the objective is obviously to decrease the crime aret in society, not just to rehabilitate those particular individuals which get sentenced to jail. Also, you neglect the fact that many countries have prision systems which do work reasonably well. The problem is not prisions in general, its the way prisions are used that need to change. You have also neglected the deterring effect when you say you are back to square one. With yoru washing machin analogy, it would be similar to a ituation where having a washing machine decreases the chance that your clothes will get dirty in teh first place.
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
For certain crimes prison and daily torture (until death) are the answer. But for most, hit them where it hurts. The wallet. We'll see who bothers to offend when they're on the streets.
This method is used already (except the torture as it contradicts human rights). It is known as "fines". Even more effective is it to combine fines and prision...
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This method is used already (except the torture as it contradicts human rights). It is known as "fines". Even more effective is it to combine fines and prision...
I mean increase fines so that they acutally cripple people.

And all this human rights *******s, what about the rights of the victims???
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
wow, and the prize for most threads on a variation of a topic goes to...

anyhoo, at least people are seeing that rehabilitation, not prison is the answer!!
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Theres a statistic out there that about 20% of socket plugs out there in the UK, is made in the UK prisons by the prisoners themselfs. So, next time you use a kettle. Think of the thief who made it just for you.
So that's why they broke into my house and stole my knackered old VCR. There was me thinking they were just stupid for having missed the spanking new DVD player
Of course the DVD player had a moulded plug...
J
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
On police effectiveness.........

You will never have an effective police force until it becomes publicly accountable at a local level.

If the Chief Constable of your county held his position at the discression of the local electorate I'm sure you'd soon see improvements. Nothing motivates local public officials to prioritorize in line with the wants and desires of society than fear of losing his/her job.

This is one thing the US does very well.

Don't think your country sherriff's doing much of a job? Think your sherriff's department is spending too much time harrassing motorists and not enough time clamping down on a neighborhood drug problem?

Easy. Kick him out of office.
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
On police effectiveness.........

You will never have an effective police force until it becomes publicly accountable at a local level.

If the Chief Constable of your county held his position at the discression of the local electorate I'm sure you'd soon see improvements. Nothing motivates local public officials to prioritorize in line with the wants and desires of society than fear of losing his/her job.

This is one thing the US does very well.

Don't think your country sherriff's doing much of a job? Think your sherriff's department is spending too much time harrassing motorists and not enough time clamping down on a neighborhood drug problem?

Easy. Kick him out of office.
Just a small digression. More people are killed annually due to speeding and drunk drivers than due to murders. Just thought it was worth mentioning it...
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
And all this human rights *******s, what about the rights of the victims???
The victims also have the right not to be tortured, and if this right is violated the person responsible should be punished; but not through the use of torture! There is a reason why laws against torture exist, and I bet you would not want a society like the old Taliban Afghanistan were you got your hands chopped of for stealing a VCR. The punishments exist in order to decrease the crime rate, NOT in order to avenge the victims.

An eye for an eye ends up with the hole world blind - Ghandi
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The victims also have the right not to be tortured, and if this right is violated the person responsible should be punished; but not through the use of torture! There is a reason why laws against torture exist, and I bet you would not want a society like the old Taliban Afghanistan were you got your hands chopped of for stealing a VCR. The punishments exist in order to decrease the crime rate, NOT in order to avenge the victims.

An eye for an eye ends up with the hole world blind - Ghandi
They are supposed to decrease the crime rate by discouraging would-be criminals who risk facing a harsh sentence that doesn't justify taking the risk of the crime.

As for the quote, not everyone with an eye commits crime.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads