The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When I first started I couldn't cope with the amount of information to take in whilst driving, most of my attention was focused upon what was going on inside the car and I could hardly tell what was going on outside. But after about 2 or 3 lessons it started to get a lot better. You will get used to it and stop hating it, just don't chicken out.
Wow. Theres been soo many threads like this. Jesus christ, man up a little and it'll get easier.
Reply 3
It gets better. :yep:
Reply 4
I did 5 lessons, and grasped it pretty well, but for some reason I took a long break and never went back to it.

I just think I don't like the "learning" aspect.
Reply 5
I hated all my lessons and still hate driving haha. I just stuck it out. You will get better and probably like it more when you do. It will become almost second nature, like riding a bike.
Reply 6
i'm much the same, although i've had 7 lessons and i still hate it haha.
its just because i'm bad at it though!
Random Male TSRer: "'Cause yer a wooooman!"
probably to be honest :wink:
Hannah_P_93
I have only had one driving lesson and I really hated it. There is so much to remember and I just don't feel like i'm in control. Everyone keeps telling me to persevere and it will eventually become easier but I don't think I can cope in the meantime. I really want to cancel my lessons. I was wondering if anyone else hated driving after a few lessons and if so what did you do about it?

Yeah I wasn't to keen. And I agree a lot to remember. But the more you do, the better you get simple as. Obviously your completely new to everything but when things start to become second nature then theres less to remember and you can concentrate on the road and hazards etc rather than how to change gear or even something as basic as steering. If you delay it then you may find it harder to get back into it and everyone will learn at some point in their life. So my advice is have a few more lessons. And maybe say to the instructor that you don't feel comfortable and want to go somewhere quite for a few lessons to really master the basics!
Reply 8
Another TSRing over analying stuff and not being laid back/calming the **** down.
I know what you mean. My first lesson was mostly talk and how to turn the steering wheel.
Reply 10
well if you don't need to learn how to drive why are you learning, and if you do need to learn how to drive then you know already that you'll have to stick it out
I hated learning to drive and was debating whether to just leave it but now I've passed and I'm excited about driving so I reckon you at least pass your test and then decide whether you want to continue driving.
Reply 12
You're a woman, you shouldn't be driving. It's just your natural instinct to dislike it.
Reply 13
Don't worry. I hated it. I couldn't get to grips with it at all. I couldn't even steer around corners. Didn't help that my instructor was an idiot (I changed after a few lessons.) Before every lesson, I'd feel so ill but honestly you have to stick with it. It took me 10 months and I spent a fortune but I passed my test and I really love being able to drive. Stick with it now. It's easier to do when you're younger than when you have a full time job, kids etc. Honestly, a lot of people are like you but you will get over it. And don't worry if you don't do everything right. You're expected to make mistakes. Your instructor is there to help you and he'll keep you safe if you do. Try to relax and think through it slowly. It helped me to write things down when I came home and to look over it between lessons. Good luck!
Grow up or stay a child......
Just look forward to onwing your own car and the freedom it bring with it:drool:
Reply 16
I loved it so much I sat at home after my first lesson and practiced 'feeding the wheel' with the biscuit tin lid :lol:

I shouldn't have just admitted that, I know :biggrin:
matt3568
You're a woman, you shouldn't be driving. It's just your natural instinct to dislike it.

lol

first lesson is really easy - right foot down, left foot up, steer
I absolutely hated my first few lessons! I was so nervous. Been taking them for over a year now and failed my first practical test today :frown: It gets better after a few lessons, although it took me about 7 or 8 to get comfortable.
Just keep going - the first lesson is always going to be the most difficult (remember the first time you rode a bicycle with no stabilisers?!) It does get better, just stick it out and don't give up (a lot of people I know gave up after a few lessons - and that way, in the long run, costs way more and just makes you more stressed about it) I passed my test in February and it has made everything sooooo much easier - and freedom too!. Keep at it, you will be fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending