The Student Room Group

Layout of PS

To get my PS down to 47 lines I have to delete ALL enter lines between paragraphs as I can't think of anything to take out. Considering I'm applying for English, it doesn't look particularly good on the grammar side of things if it isn't set out properly... Will universities be put off if paragraphs aren't set out properly or will the take into account the line/character limit?

Also, does anyone know a way of creating indents on the form if there really is no other choice? I know some html works (like <br) but I haven't found any code for tabs which works so far. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Theres no real formatting on the UCAS PS text area anyway so I wouldnt say you need to make the effort. It'd be more helpful, to you and the uni, to have more written than to delete information in preference to how it looks. IMO.
Reply 2
Did you have any look with managing to indent the paragraphs in the end? I've been triyng to do this as well, and people have just told me to type the spaces by hand, but it hasn't worked when I've clicked 'preview' :frown: . I really need to do this because otherwise I'll have to cut out loads more of my personal statement.

Joe
Reply 3
It might be more difficult to read without paragraphs- more annoying for the admissions tutor, and they do look through hundreds. If you really cant take anything out or reword it tho, i suppose it shouldnt make that much difference.
Reply 4
Such people read books and long text all the time. So I doubt the majority will care. Make good use of the valuble and limited space you have.
Reply 5
you could put a double space between each paragraph... that's what I did although I had to cut it down even more... like this:

blah blah blah.

blah blah blah.

instead of.

blah blah blah.
blah blah blah

because when the previous line finishes at the end it doesnt look like you started a new paragraph!
Reply 6
emit.
Such people read books and long text all the time. So I doubt the majority will care. Make good use of the valuble and limited space you have.

I don't know - I think anyone would get tired of reading 100s of personal statements each a full block of text.

I think you should make it as easy to read for them as possible. Plus remember that paragraphs are a pretty important part of formal writing.
Reply 7
:ditto:
Reply 8
*The simplest is to remove those spaces between paragraphs (TRY TO AVOID HAVING NO PARAGRAPHS AT ALL).

*Do not becomes Don't.
*Duke of Edinburgh can be shortened to DoE if mentioned more than once (use acronyms).
*Your telly habits arent as interesting as that relative extra curricular subject that you do.
*Sentences that refer to things that you dont do, can be cut. Do the admissions tutors care about what you dont do, errrrrmmmm NO.

I know it contradicts other advice but if you cant cut it down in any other way, the spaces have got to go.
Reply 9
I managed to do it (after maintaining for weeks that I couldn't) for English, through a combination of ruthlessness and rather long paragraphs. But it looks a lot better than it did before.

I'd hate to be an admissions tutor with a long page of run-on text.
Yeah, I've managed to merge a couple of paragraphs... Only got to find three lines worth of stuff to take out now :P Or another paragraph to merge... I had to take stuff about being a sort-of-LSA and helping year 7 kids to read out though, which is annoying. Oh well, I'm hoping that wouldn't have particularly swung my application!!

Joe- haven't found anything about the indents yet. Most html doesn't seem to work on there (not quite sure how/why 'br' does!) so I'm guessing there isn't a way, unfortunately. Ach, why can't we have paper forms still..?
Reply 11
Elusive Moose
Yeah, I've managed to merge a couple of paragraphs... Only got to find three lines worth of stuff to take out now :P Or another paragraph to merge... I had to take stuff about being a sort-of-LSA and helping year 7 kids to read out though, which is annoying. Oh well, I'm hoping that wouldn't have particularly swung my application!!

Joe- haven't found anything about the indents yet. Most html doesn't seem to work on there (not quite sure how/why 'br' does!) so I'm guessing there isn't a way, unfortunately. Ach, why can't we have paper forms still..?

You could always get your teacher to mention it in his/her reference...
Oo, good idea- thanks :smile: (I really do have no initative... :/)
Also, would people advise against designating new paragraphs through the use of //s? Like have it on a new line, but put those in just to prove that you do know what a paragraph is, honest!
If I were you, I really would be ruthless with the cutting. Maybe give it to a teacher or something and ask them what they think can go. I'm applying for English too and mine was originally 3 pages long. Every time I cut it, I would then think of something else to add that made it even longer :redface: But it's now down to 47 lines, with a blank line between every paragraph. I really didn't think there was anything superfluous in there, but the admissions tutors at York and Durham kept stressing that they really preferred line gaps so I kept at it.

There's got to be something you can cut! :smile:
Queen_A
You could always get your teacher to mention it in his/her reference...

That's a good idea; see if there's stuff in it your teacher could stick in instead, might save you a line or two
Thanks for all the advice guys... It is now all cut and fits :biggrin: Not so hard after all, I suppose :smile:
I managed to tab it last year. Things may have changed. I'm not sure exactly how I did it, but it could have been copying and pasting from word. It certainly printed out in the correct format.
Elusive Moose
Thanks for all the advice guys... It is now all cut and fits :biggrin: Not so hard after all, I suppose :smile:

Yay :biggrin:! Hope mine gets sent off soon so I can stop changing it...

Latest

Trending

Trending