Not allowed lock on bedroom door of student house?

Watch
theronkinator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Just emailed my landlord asking if I can put a lock on my door and he said no because their's a HMO law saying you can't incase there's a fire and you can't get out? WTF? I had a lock on my door in halls and I know others in private houses with locks on their doors (fitted by the landlord) is this true or a load of BS?
jedpea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah just deal with it and make sure your falt mates arnt gypsies.
DoktaUH
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Smells like BS to me, every house i've lived in whilst at uni has had a lockable door....
$tarยฃreaker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You have to able to lock your door so I can't see how there's a law saying you can't.
jimbo139
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think he's misinterpreted the rules. Perhaps discuss with the citizens advice bureau.
sophie27891
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah my private house has a lock on the bedroom doors. So it sounds to me like BS! Lol x
CuteStar*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sounds like rubbish! Having a lock is sort of important :P
psychocustard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's crap. You can't get insurance with most companies if you don't have a lock on your door.
crazylemon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not due to fire hazard no. But if your landlords doesn't want one fitted then you can't. I don't have a lock. Amazingly I just live with people I trust.
theronkinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by crazylemon)
Not due to fire hazard no. But if your landlords doesn't want one fitted then you can't. I don't have a lock. Amazingly I just live with people I trust.
As do I, but I have a lot of expensive stuff and if I go home for a few days and there's a house party or whatever then someone can just wonder in and take what they like.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
explosions hurt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So is there no lock on the bathroom?
theronkinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by explosions hurt)
So is there no lock on the bathroom?
I don't think people sleep in there.
crazylemon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by theronkinator)
As do I, but I have a lot of expensive stuff and if I go home for a few days and there's a house party or whatever then someone can just wonder in and take what they like.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
Ah, mine are not the house party hosting type, thats something I am more likely to do :p:
Davidosh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's poppycock my parents are landlords of a student house and have a HMO and all the doors have locks on
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got told by the landlord of my second year house that I couldn't have a lock on the bedroom door either, but he never gave a reason why. My mum wondered whether it was due to the idea of people possibly getting drunk and locking themselves or their housemates in. No idea but it sucked at the time.
simeon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by theronkinator)
Just emailed my landlord asking if I can put a lock on my door and he said no because their's a HMO law saying you can't incase there's a fire and you can't get out? WTF? I had a lock on my door in halls and I know others in private houses with locks on their doors (fitted by the landlord) is this true or a load of BS?
He's got that wrong.

The only regulation regarding bedroom door locks in HMO's is that they must be able to be opened from the occupants side without a key. Something like this...Image

In fact, most insurane companies will insist on a bedroom door lock in a HMO.
AidyD
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Under that logic all Bathrooms in the UK wouldnt have locks...
theronkinator
Rep:
?
I just rung Newcastle City Council and simeon is correct, I can have one as long as you can open it from inside without a key, which is what my landlord went onto say, but he worded it badly.
Thanks guys.
VanillaCat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by simeon)
He's got that wrong.

The only regulation regarding bedroom door locks in HMO's is that they must be able to be opened from the occupants side without a key. Something like this...Image

In fact, most insurane companies will insist on a bedroom door lock in a HMO.
Where can one buy such a lock, how much do they cost, and how are they fitted? My landlord also says we can't have locks :mad: it's not that I think my housemates are untrustworthy, I am more worried about if someone breaks in and has six bedrooms to openly rob
janesies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by VanillaCat)
Where can one buy such a lock, how much do they cost, and how are they fitted? My landlord also says we can't have locks :mad: it's not that I think my housemates are untrustworthy, I am more worried about if someone breaks in and has six bedrooms to openly rob
you buy them from B&Q they are like the ones u get on hotel room doors. with the key on the outside bit and the turny/twisty thing inside. They arent expensive about ยฃ20 max and shud be able to fit into existing door handle lock space with not much difficulty.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (170)
14.63%
I'm not sure (54)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (342)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (35)
3.01%
I'm not a current university student (561)
48.28%

Watched Threads