The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Unconditional offer for English Literature and Philosophy.

I achieved A*AC in my A-Levels this year, and have decided to turn down my place at Heythrop College as I am unsure about whether I would like to do the course.

If I were to apply to St Andrews with A2 grades A*AC and AS grades AB, would it be highly unlikely that I would get an unconditional offer for English and Philosophy (asking for AAB)? I know it's a very competitive university and it's quite likely that a majority of applicants can offer AAA+. The A was in English Literature.

I was also only 7 marks off a B in biology and so may resit. Do St. Andrews look less favourably on resits?
Reply 1
Hi,

Perhaps you could contact the university admissions service by email or telephone for an informal conversation about whether or not you'd make their requirements - student (dot) recruitment (at) st-andrews (dot) ac (dot) uk. You certainly won't have anything to lose by doing this. I'm far from knowledgeable but I do know that the university is very highly ranked for English in the league tables so I imagine it might be quite competitive. I notice that for 2011 entry their conditions are AAA (in the prospectus) rather than AAB. You could email the department too and ask them they would assess your application so you might have an understanding before you apply for the degree.

If you are very keen on St Andrews and want a safety net you could always also apply for less competitive courses at St Andrews whilst applying for the course you like. The university has a very flexible modular degree system which means you won't have to be doing this course for all four years if you were to change your mind. Of course I don't know where your interests lie but combinations like "Film Studies-Philosophy" require AAB rather than AAA. Film Studies is not too far apart from English literature because it uses similar theoretical tools that would be used for studying a text. As far as I'm aware it is quite readily associated with English Literature.

I don't know how they consider resits. I will see if I can find out for you :smile: but you could ask the admissions office if you manage to get in touch with them.

I hope this helps in some small way,

- Lucia
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
I don't see any evidence that they look less favourably on resits. This is taken from the School of English website:

For results obtained in a SINGLE examination diet: AAB at A2, including an A in English.

For results obtained over two or more examination diets (whether through a deliberate spreading of the workload, resits or the decision to pick up an additional A-level): AAA at A2, including an A in English.
St Andrews does not make offers based on UCAS tariffs or on AS levels.
For candidates taking more than 3 A-levels, the offer applies to their best three subjects (one of which must be English!).
General Studies is never included: candidates taking General Studies (although in itself commendable) must offer three other subjects at A2 level.
Reply 3
Yes but I meant that they accept grades obtained over two sittings if the grades are higher. Of course I don't know how this would work for the next round of applications but I imagine the requirements will be very high.
Reply 4
Lucia.
Yes but I meant that they accept grades obtained over two sittings if the grades are higher! Of course I don't know how this would work for the next round of applications but I imagine the requirements will be very high.

i realised it was a very silly post :o:
Reply 5
Sambo2
i realised it was a very silly post :o:

No worries :smile:
Reply 6
Lucia.
Hi,

Perhaps you could contact the university admissions service by email or telephone for an informal conversation about whether or not you'd make their requirements - student (dot) recruitment (at) st-andrews (dot) ac (dot) uk. You certainly won't have anything to lose by doing this. I'm far from knowledgeable but I do know that the university is very highly ranked for English in the league tables so I imagine it might be quite competitive. I notice that for 2011 entry their conditions are AAA (in the prospectus) rather than AAB. You could email the department too and ask them they would assess your application so you might have an understanding before you apply for the degree.

If you are very keen on St Andrews and want a safety net you could always also apply for less competitive courses at St Andrews whilst applying for the course you like. The university has a very flexible modular degree system which means you won't have to be doing this course for all four years if you were to change your mind. Of course I don't know where your interests lie but combinations like "Film Studies-Philosophy" require AAB rather than AAA. Film Studies is not too far apart from English literature because it uses similar theoretical tools that would be used for studying a text. As far as I'm aware it is quite readily associated with English Literature.

I don't know how they consider resits. I will see if I can find out for you :smile: but you could ask the admissions office if you manage to get in touch with them.

I hope this helps in some small way,

- Lucia

Thank you for all your help. Their 'degree list' for this year states that English-Philosophy will be AAB, while straight English will be AAA and straight Philosophy AAB. I will email them and find out which set of grades the offer for English-Philosophy will be based on, as I'm unsure whether it will have gone up this year.

A kind reply regarding my query stated that applications are considered individually and holistically, indicating that not only grades will be considered as basis for entry.
Reply 7
hayley22
A kind reply regarding my query stated that applications are considered individually and holistically, indicating that not only grades will be considered as basis for entry.

Well done on your grades. I think you should definitely go for it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending