Turn on thread page Beta

Opinions please? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham/Newcastle/UMIST/Kent/Lancaster/UEA

for Computer Science

Could I have your opinion as to where and why I should go?

I'm trying to look at these times/guardian tables but they're all out of date teaching assessments.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    on general reputation, i'd say Newcastle or UMIST...

also have a look at the research assessment scores ( http://195.194.167.103/Results/byuoa/uoa25.htm )

ordinarily i'd say look at teaching assessment as well, but they all seem 10 years out of date as you say... ( http://www.qaa.ac.uk/revreps/subj_reports.asp?subjID=63 )

hmm.

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks llama_boy.

Any more please?

ReputationRep:
    Kent, purely based on their good links to Sun Microsystems and the fact I talked to the former HoD.

Alaric.

PS: Brum may be the best respect generally out of that lot, Kent the best more specifically. Kent is (perhaps) surprisingly good at compsci. TQA excellent.

ReputationRep:
    I would say Newcastle but that's only cause a mate has said really good things about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Kent, purely based on their good links to Sun Microsystems and the fact I talked to the former HoD.

Alaric.

PS: Brum may be the best respect generally out of that lot, Kent the best more specifically. Kent is (perhaps) surprisingly good at compsci. TQA excellent.
    Maybe you can help me out here Alaric as I'm having a small chrisis. Basically the reason I would like to go to the most respectable University out of my choices is based on the fact my degree is purely for Career. Some people on this board are academics and prefer art subjects and such, however I want to be financially comfortable and do the things my parents couldn't.

I love the idea that some people get placements at Sun in California, but I'm not sure it's worth my applying to a less prestigious University based on hope. Ideally I think Birmingham/Umist/Newcastle are the most respected and have good destinations (top Finance and Technology firms), however the league tables and assessments I look at are out of date. So many people on this board seem to go off the times/guardian tables not realising they're like 4/5 years old? Hmm.

Maybe you can offer me some pros/cons.

Thanks again,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onearmedscissor)
    Maybe you can help me out here Alaric as I'm having a small chrisis. Basically the reason I would like to go to the most respectable University out of my choices is based on the fact my degree is purely for Career. Some people on this board are academics and prefer art subjects and such, however I want to be financially comfortable and do the things my parents couldn't.

I love the idea that some people get placements at Sun in California, but I'm not sure it's worth my applying to a less prestigious University based on hope. Ideally I think Birmingham/Umist/Newcastle are the most respected and have good destinations (top Finance and Technology firms), however the league tables and assessments I look at are out of date. So many people on this board seem to go off the times/guardian tables not realising they're like 4/5 years old? Hmm.

Maybe you can offer me some pros/cons.

Thanks again,
    Thats really bad! I assumed they were up to date! Are you sure they are that old? I know the TQA's are all old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goat)
    Thats really bad! I assumed they were up to date! Are you sure they are that old? I know the TQA's are all old.
    Some of them are up to 10 years old, the RAE ones that is.

ReputationRep:
    Some of them are up to 10 years old, the RAE ones that is.
    Yeah but the times list doesnt base it on that e.g Bath has satisfactory TQA and 4 as research but is really high for computer science.

I thought the times made thier own assessment. Thats just an assumption though - I dont really know for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goat)
    Yeah but the times list doesnt base it on that e.g Bath has satisfactory TQA and 4 as research but is really high for computer science.

I thought the times made thier own assessment. Thats just an assumption though - I dont really know for sure.
    Look at your University website for your course and find their scores. It's likely to be from 2000, so **** tbh when we're trying to weigh pros and cons. Anyway, post something relevant to my topic please? Where would you go?

ReputationRep:
    Look at your University website for your course and find their scores. It's likely to be from 2000, so **** tbh when we're trying to weigh pros and cons. Anyway, post something relevant to my topic please? Where would you go?
    OK, id go for UMIST cos its merging with Manchester Uni in 2004 and Manchester Uni has an excellent reputation for Computer Science.

Have you read about what each course involves? Which did you like the sound of?

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle and UMIST have far better general reputations than the other few you said

ReputationRep:
    Bumpity, keep em coming soldiers!

ReputationRep:
    First computer ever was built in Manchester Uni, goto UMIST duh =P No but seriously, UMIST/Manchester looks like the best option on that list, even without my bias.

I'd probably have a look around UMIST/Newcastle and decide from that.

ReputationRep:
    Bumpity, keep em coming soldiers!
    UEA for the whole package

ReputationRep:
    UMIST graduates the highhest paid in the country so I would go to UMIST. Also Manchester is such a great city. I am not biased honestly :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Bump chamone.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ever so much Pencil Queen, that's very helpful. Could I ask thought, in your experience, do you know/think that employers specifically look at the rating of the course your doing? or of the University as a whole? This is something that has played on my mind for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Id prolly say UMIST, it traditionally has a v.good rep in compsci, but my computing teacher says they have been much worse in recent years and are not so highly regarded.

Got an offer of a scholorship from them today =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oli)
    Id prolly say UMIST, it traditionally has a v.good rep in compsci, but my computing teacher says they have been much worse in recent years and are not so highly regarded.

Got an offer of a scholorship from them today =)
    What scholarship exactly?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.