This discussion is closed.
onearmedscissor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
It depends...some employers head hunt at certain universities (at southampton we loose a fair proportion of our UG comp sci students who are headhunted for their programming skills)...some companies link up with the university as a whole and others just to relevent departments.

I don't think many employers look at university league tables when recruiting - most use their own experience of university (and there's no way to predict what uni a particular recruiter will have a preference for) and the general knowledge about a uni.

If you're interested in employer links when you visit your choices (or before) ask to see the departments first destination survey results (some uni's have these tucked away on their websites while others wont provide them electronically at all: leeds have some examples online: http://careerweb.leeds.ac.uk/graduates/fds/ )...this should give a description of not only the %age of graduates in employment but the companies they're employed by and the job they're doing and where in the world/country they're doing it. There shouldn't be a problem in showing you this information as it's anonymised (ie all identifying data is removed) and it's hardly confidential anyway (it wont tell you their salaries though ).

Also if you get the chance pop into (or phone) the uni's careers advisory office and ask to see a list of employers who visited the graduate recruitment fair and/or milkround (some of this might be online again: http://www.careers.soton.ac.uk/Fairslink.html ) but it's useful to have the full feel of the interest in a uni's graduates that you will get from speaking to a careers advisor.
Again, thanks ever so much... I owe you rep
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
OK just to clear things up TQA scores are out of date and going to become even more so. The QAA who do these assessments has changed it's requirements, instead of assessing each subject at each uni every 10 years they are going to assess every universities internal quality assurance procedures. In exchange for the removal of a massive administrative burden the Universities are required to publish data on entry standards/qualifications, progression rates and a few other things for every department/subject/course. This data is usually hidden somewhere on their website.

The QAA subject reports are the Teaching Quality used in the Times' and other league Tables.

The RAE (Research Assessment Exercise) took place in 2001, 1996 and 1992 - every 4 years. This is also used int the League Tables under Research Quality.

It's likely that the Teaching Quality assessments currently used in the league tables will gradually have less and less weighting as they become more outdated.

And if you're looking for a university with good reputation with emplyoers then it just has to be UMIST. If you register with the Telegraph online (it's free and doesn't bombard you with spam) you can access their report including the "Table of Tables" (25/06/2003 "Who really is top of the league?"). This includes a column on employer opinion. That rankings are:
1 Cambridge
2 UMIST
3 Oxford
4 Manchester (Manchester and UMIST are due to merge in September)
5 Warwick
6 Imperial
7 Nottingham
8 Birmingham
9 Leeds
10 Edinburgh
11 Bath
12 Bristol
13 Loughborough
14 Sheffield
15 Durham
etc etc.... (I'm not going to type all the way up to 100)

Newcastle came 16th
Lancaster 37th
UEA 66th
and Kent 54th.

However this is a score based on employers opinion of the quality of the universities graduates - it's possible that some of your choices are far better in certain subjects (like computing) than they are overall.

Firstly to expose a weakness in these things, LSE's not there. I know for a fact it's at least in the top 5 for absolutely every single thing that it teaches, as far as 'respect' and employability are concerned.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Firstly to expose a weakness in these things, LSE's not there. I know for a fact it's at least in the top 5 for absolutely every single thing that it teaches, as far as 'respect' and employability are concerned.
I don't understand how UEA can be 66th either :confused:
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by onearmedscissor)
Birmingham/Newcastle/UMIST/Kent/Lancaster/UEA

for Computer Science

Could I have your opinion as to where and why I should go?

I'm trying to look at these times/guardian tables but they're all out of date teaching assessments.

Thanks in advance!

Of course you can obtain all the data yourself, I'd pay particular attention to the a/v A level points score at each. Logic here being that if a university is highly respected by employers, students are going to know this and want to secure an offer there, this in turn will increase the a/v A level score.

From what I know of each institution. I can only really comment at length on Bham, and to some degree on UMIST. Lancaster has a very reputable business school mind you, not so sure about its Computing dept. I assume there's a strong correlation here anyway, between universities on Computing and Business education quality. Kent is a former Poly, that's about all I know about it! As for East Anglia, I've heard some terrible things about it, abeit from an unreliable source.

B'ham is a very reputable university, there's no doubt about that. You cannot go too far wrong by going there. The university is well resourced, has great sporting facilities too. However, I think UMIST does have the edge. I had a close friend that studied there, infact he's just finished and was a student of Computing (although at masters level). He told me that the department was badly organised, some of the students were total losers and many of the lecturers were indifferent! (encouraging so far hey!) Do note, however, that you get this sort of thing everywhere, just underfunding and a 'research focus' mentallity that exists at every successful university. However, on the whole, the course and the institution seems to be highly respected by employers. The university has many links with industry. Althoghether, I get the impression UMIST is more ambitious, it has developed so many industrial links, there's also the merger going ahead too. Maybe it's more vocationally minded than the more traditional Bham university. Infact, quite a few people around Bham tell me that its business/computing courses are probably not even as good as nearby Aston University-shocking!

A little off the topic, I don't know what Pencil Queen would say about this, but I get the feeling that the 60's university are beginin' to do rather well as far as Business/Computing education is concented, I can think of Lancaster, Bath, Aston, City University and of course Warwick, which has done exceptionally well in Biz/Comp.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
(Original post by J.S.)
However, I think UMIST does have the edge. I had a close friend that studied there, infact he's just finished and was a student of Computing (although at masters level). He told me that the department was badly organised, some of the students were total losers and many of the lecturers were indifferent! (encouraging so far hey!) Do note, however, that you get this sort of thing everywhere, just underfunding and a 'research focus' mentallity that exists at every successful university. However, on the whole, the course and the institution seems to be highly respected by employers. The university has many links with industry. Althoghether, I get the impression UMIST is more ambitious, it has developed so many industrial links, there's also the merger going ahead too. Maybe it's more vocationally minded than the more traditional Bham university.
Eek, You've kinda put me off UMIST now?
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
B'ham is a very reputable university, there's no doubt about that. You cannot go too far wrong by going there. The university is well resourced, has great sporting facilities too.
I thought the sports facilities there were a bit pants, considering the size of the uni.

What have you heard about UEA? Apart from being a 60's concrete jungle and being situtated in Norfolk (feels like the edge of the world sometimes) i hadn't heard that many terrible things about it!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Remember that it is merging with Manchester this year.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Oppps! Wasn't my intention! It is very highly regarded by employers! I thought that was what you realllly wanted. Also, all the Manc universities are on one road, so you can mingle with a wide range of people. Great social life, good employment prospects too.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
I thought the sports facilities there were a bit pants, considering the size of the uni.

What have you heard about UEA? Apart from being a 60's concrete jungle and being situtated in Norfolk (feels like the edge of the world sometimes) i hadn't heard that many terrible things about it!

I thought the sports facilities were excellent! As for UEA, well.....just abuse mainly Again, I shall emphasise, it was from a spoilt rich kid type, unreliable source!
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
(Original post by J.S.)
Oppps! Wasn't my intention! It is very highly regarded by employers! I thought that was what you realllly wanted. Also, all the Manc universities are on one road, so you can mingle with a wide range of people. Great social life, good employment prospects too.
It's employment prospects I'm after, indeed.. especially with a touch and go subject like Computer Science. I realise Manchester is probably quite rough and so on, however it's inevitable you're going to meet people you dislike on your travels.

A couple of my friends have applied to the Manchester Universities so it should be quite cool if the 3 of us can get accommodation and such. Hey I'm just wanting to enjoy the University experience, get a good degree and a good job.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's employment prospects I'm after, indeed.. especially with a touch and go subject like Computer Science. I realise Manchester is probably quite rough and so on, however it's inevitable you're going to meet people you dislike on your travels.

A couple of my friends have applied to the Manchester Universities so it should be quite cool if the 3 of us can get accommodation and such. Hey I'm just wanting to enjoy the University experience, get a good degree and a good job.

Yeah Manchester seems a good place for that. Oh and one more thing, UMIST is right in the busy part of Manc. Whereas, Bham is not. The latter gives you the opportunity of getting some peace and quiet when need be! Dno if that's what you want thou!
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
(Original post by J.S.)
Yeah Manchester seems a good place for that. Oh and one more thing, UMIST is right in the busy part of Manc. Whereas, Bham is not. The latter gives you the opportunity of getting some peace and quiet when need be! Dno if that's what you want thou!
Nah I'm a city person I think, visions of New York are like a mental orgasm for me.

Multi-cultural, so many people from so many different backgrounds doing so many different things... It's pleasantly overwhelming!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
UMIST is pretty sound although I know of a couple of odd people that go there, I'm sure thats not everyone
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
(Original post by viviki)
UMIST is pretty sound although I know of a couple of odd people that go there, I'm sure thats not everyone
Yeah I've heard it being stereotyped as a geeky place, probably doesn't help the fact that I'm doing Computer Science. I'm generally not a geeky person though, just somebody who likes fiddling about with computers... in order to get a phat cheque!
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Birmingham/Newcastle/UMIST/Kent/Lancaster/UEA

for Computer Science

Could I have your opinion as to where and why I should go?

I'm trying to look at these times/guardian tables but they're all out of date teaching assessments.

Thanks in advance!
Even though Manchester and UMIST are due to merge, my friend told me the atmosphere in UMIST for Comp Sci, is ****. So after a year he transferred to Manchester University, and is now, and I quote 'having a good time'. When exactly are you planning to go to university?
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Even though Manchester and UMIST are due to merge, my friend told me the atmosphere in UMIST for Comp Sci, is ****. So after a year he transferred to Manchester University, and is now, and I quote 'having a good time'. When exactly are you planning to go to university?
2004 entry mate, and I do stress that I'll have friends going to the surrounding Manchester Universities too. So I won't be so dependant on making friends in my classes etc, as I'll just wanna get my work done and dusted so I can enjoy myself of a night time.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
2004 entry mate, and I do stress that I'll have friends going to the surrounding Manchester Universities too. So I won't be so dependant on making friends in my classes etc, as I'll just wanna get my work done and dusted so I can enjoy myself of a night time.
Well Manchester is a big city, you wont get bored for quite a while, and plus we have one of the largest libraries, 'Central Library' so you can get some of your essays done! I personally would have gone to Manchester. Last year, for the first time ever, CompSci got offered on clearing at Umist and Manchester, (obviously you cant get in with like really low grades such as DDC grades). So if you dont exactly hit your predicted grades, but are close then you have a high chance of still being accepted.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Well Manchester is a big city, you wont get bored for quite a while, and plus we have one of the largest libraries, 'Central Library' so you can get some of your essays done! I personally would have gone to Manchester. Last year, for the first time ever, CompSci got offered on clearing at Umist and Manchester, (obviously you cant get in with like really low grades such as DDC grades). So if you dont exactly hit your predicted grades, but are close then you have a high chance of still being accepted.
Comforting thought tbh My predicted grades are ABbc. I think I can better them if I get my **** sorted and revise for exams.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Comforting thought tbh My predicted grades are ABbc. I think I can better them if I get my **** sorted and revise for exams.
I got ABC, Computing, Business Studies, and Maths, respectively. They offered me virtually all the courses available in the Computer Department, but I realised I didn't wanna spend the rest of my life with RSI and having to wear double glazed extra thick spectacles, on the serious side, Manchester is a fun place.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
I got ABC, Computing, Business Studies, and Maths, respectively. They offered me virtually all the courses available in the Computer Department, but I realised I didn't wanna spend the rest of my life with RSI and having to wear double glazed extra thick spectacles, on the serious side, Manchester is a fun place.
Good grades, and you should have gone for it!

Not so sure on your stereotypes tho, but yeah from what I've heard Comp Sci is modern geekdom. I'm the new and improved gym loving non-geeky pimp daddy computer scientist I think... Yeah I'm happy with that.

FO SHIZZLE!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (385)
67.07%
No (189)
32.93%

Watched Threads