The Student Room Group

Bristol Medical School Applicants - 2011 Entry

I was wondering who else out there is going to apply to Bristol as one of their medicine options, and as there are several other threads for other med schools, I thought to start one of my own :biggrin:

For me, Bristol would be my ideal uni, but I hear competition is tough because they don't have entrance exams. Also, does anyone know if they discriminate heavily against private school students? I've heard they prefer state school applicants, which is kind of putting me off.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For any other Bristol applicants out there, you may want to have a look through their admissions process to try and maximise your chances of getting an interview. It's here:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/medical-school/prospective-students/#geninfo (it's found under "Departmental Admissions Statement (2010-11)")
I am, I love Bristol. The city is lovely and their course seems very structured and interesting :biggrin:
Reply 3
I feel for you bristol applicants. I heard the offer/applicants ratio is 1:17 whereas the majorty are around 1:8
Reply 4
gozatron
I feel for you bristol applicants. I heard the offer/applicants ratio is 1:17 whereas the majorty are around 1:8

Source? It's more like 1:8.
Reply 5
Sanjetti
Source? It's more like 1:8.

This thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1387408
Reply 6

That thread's statistics are a bit unreliable. It's 3000 applications for around 400 offers, so the ratio's actually more like 8:1. Yes Bristol is competitive, but it shouldn't scare people off who want to go there.
Applying for grad entry again this year.
Last year I got an interview and bombed it.

Not again.
Reply 8
Sanjetti
That thread's statistics are a bit unreliable. It's 3000 applications for around 400 offers, so the ratio's actually more like 8:1. Yes Bristol is competitive, but it shouldn't scare people off who want to go there.

Unreliable? :lolwut:

Its not as if the figures were pulled out of someones arse. They came from somewhere..
Reply 9
gozatron
Unreliable? :lolwut:

Its not as if the figures were pulled out of someones arse. They came from somewhere..

Unreliable as in applicant:tongue:lace ratios don't tell you the whole picture. The applicant:redface:ffer ratio, quality of applicants, the merits of your own application etc. are a lot more significant.
Reply 10
Based on 2010 entry one of the admissions staff there said that for 216 places there were 3000 approx applicants. And they make 300 offers while interviewing between 700-800 people. So the ratio for getting an offer is 10:1.
I think this is the one I'm most nervous about because they've given probably the least amount of information from everywhere that I'm applying...

It's a bit of a pot luck one for me tbh, but I'm looking forward to going to the open day and possibly speaking to a Med student or two. Looking at the league tables (and I know they're unreliable etc etc....) I just noticed that the student course satisfaction and feeback satisfaction were quite low, not sure if it's the raw data but it'll be interesting to ask :smile:

(current bristol medics feel free to give me an answer before I trek down there haha :tongue: )

HERE'S THE LINK FOR THE NEW BRISTOL MEDICINE 2011 OFFER HOLDERS GROUP :biggrin: JOIN!!!! >>> http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_104807386268917&ap=1
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
I can't see an existing thread anywhere, so I may as well start one :wink: :biggrin:

So.
Who's applying?
Me :smile:
maybe....if my ukcat doesn't go too well on th 28th!! :smile:
I'm planning to! Is anyone else going to the open day tomorrow?
I am :biggrin:
You will all have an amazing time if you get in :smile: Bristol is such an amazing city, I'm sad that I'm going to have to leave!
Reply 18
I'm applying :smile:

Who was at the 10:15 talk at the open day today?
It's still pretty ambiguous to me, as to what Bristol exactly want? good GCSEs..PS..A Level preds?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending