A Maths choice Watch

This discussion is closed.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
For my AS Further Maths I have to do M1, P6 and one from a choice of two. I did the M1 exam yesterday, so easy! And fun too. Anyway, to anyone who has done or is doing either of the two I'm about to mention, which should I choose out of M2 and S2? I will do S1 next Wednesday as part of my A-Level Maths, so I have the 'prerequisites' for each. The syllabus is AQA spec A. Do share your thoughts, it's a tough choice.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
For my AS Further Maths I have to do M1, P6 and one from a choice of two. I did the M1 exam yesterday, so easy! And fun too. Anyway, to anyone who has done or is doing either of the two I'm about to mention, which should I choose out of M2 and S2? I will do S1 next Wednesday as part of my A-Level Maths, so I have the 'prerequisites' for each. The syllabus is AQA spec A. Do share your thoughts, it's a tough choice.
I found Stats 2 really easy, easier than S1 in fact. But then it depends on how your brain works - some people preferred M1. And Stats is reeeeeeaaaaally boring!
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if i were you, i would do statistics 2 coz it is easier, and if u want to maximize ur cahnces of a good further maths grade, then i think this wud be good.

thats unless u r naturally really good at emchanics more than stats, but i am saying, in terms of easiness to pick up marks, stats is definitely easier than mechanics.

most people do mechancis modules with the full normal maths a-level, then some stats with the Further Maths - whether it be full or to AS.

good luck anywayz, just my thoughts...
Juwel
Rep:
?
Cheers you two. S2 easier than S1?

Well I found Mechanics a trouble at first, being the only one of my five-strong Further Maths class not to do Physics. Recently it clicked and I found it easy and fun. But some of the stuff in M2 seems daunting. S1 was easy from the start, I know I'll cane it. If S2 is as easy as generally described I'll do it, I was thinking that anyway.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Well I found Mechanics a trouble at first, being the only one of my five-strong Further Maths class not to do Physics. Recently it clicked and I found it easy and fun. But some of the stuff in M2 seems daunting. S1 was easy from the start, I know I'll cane it. If S2 is as easy as generally described I'll do it, I was thinking that anyway.
this is so unfair... the OCR S2 is in my opinion the hardest stuff ever.. i just ahte it + it's horrible. the OCR S1 is lovely though and i wouldlove to do an A-level made up of 6 S1 exams...

lou xxx
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by lou p lou)
this is so unfair... the OCR S2 is in my opinion the hardest stuff ever.. i just ahte it + it's horrible. the OCR S1 is lovely though and i wouldlove to do an A-level made up of 6 S1 exams...

lou xxx
Hmm yes Lou, an A-Level in Introduction to Statistics...
meepmeep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Yeah, I found Stats 2 easier, partly because it was a bit more interesting (got a better mark in Stats 2 than Stats 1). Haven't done M2 yet - am doing it after the January exams. I find mechanics more interesting personally than Stats, so would probably find mechanics more fun and so slightly easier, but doing physics helps. Either way, I'm sure you'll manage.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't actually do AQA I do Edexcel, but I think you should choose whatever appeals to you. Both modules are about the same difficulty as their 1 counterparts and neither contain any particularly challenging material, so just do whatever you want is my advice.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Oh yeah I forgot, I could also choose Discrete 2. But its apparent difficulty ruled it out, despite the fact I aced D1. Thoughts anyone?
theone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh yeah I forgot, I could also choose Discrete 2. But its apparent difficulty ruled it out. Thoughts anyone?
Don't go there...
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hmm yes Lou, an A-Level in Introduction to Statistics...
you got to admit it sounds good... an entire A-level in stem-and-leaf and box plots...

lou xxx
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh yeah I forgot, I could also choose Discrete 2. But its apparent difficulty ruled it out, despite the fact I aced D1. Thoughts anyone?
leave D2 well clear.......

my advice is to do stats if:

a.) you wanna maximize ur chances of getting a btter Further Maths grade.
b.) you dont do physics, which in turn means u r probably not really strong at mechanics compared to stats anyway.
c.) if u got a good stats mark last time.
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by theone)
Don't go there...
OK enough said...
Juwel
Rep:
?
you got to admit it sounds good... an entire A-level in stem-and-leaf and box plots...

lou xxx
I have a GCSE in all that (Statistics), it only took me two terms to learn it and the hardest part was only the corellation coefficients. So easy!

I'm concerned that M2 will prepare me better for university level Maths because some universities have a high physics content in their Maths courses. Am I right to worry? Or is S2 just as valuable?
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have a GCSE in all that (Statistics), it only took me two terms to learn it and the hardest part was only the corellation coefficients. So easy!

I'm concerned that M2 will prepare me better for university level Maths because some universities have a high physics content in their Maths courses. Am I right to worry? Or is S2 just as valuable?
i got told by unis that it didn't matter in the slightest that i have no mechanics and they work on the basis that everyone has the pure, but you start from scratch on other areas.

lou xxx
Juwel
Rep:
?
i got told by unis that it didn't matter in the slightest that i have no mechanics and they work on the basis that everyone has the pure, but you start from scratch on other areas.

lou xxx
You going for Maths Lou?
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
OK enough said...
Definitely M2 - it has all the has all the 'easiness' of S2, but without the added 'boredom-of-statistics' factor. It's quite fun and easier than M1 - you tend to get a lot of 'standard' questions in exams (a smooth sphere of mass m is moving with speed v...a girl is riding her bicycle up a rough hill, inclined at an angle theta from the horizontal...you know the type).

Ben
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

well, i faced a thing - i was wanting to do Physics at University, tehrefore it made sense for me to do Mechanics instead of stats, therefore i recently switched.

doing either does not make a difference. you have done some mechanics anyway. either way, its fine. but in terms of gettin those makrs as it's more straight forward, then........(especially as u dont do physics)
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
Definitely M2 - it has all the has all the 'easiness' of S2, but without the added 'boredom-of-statistics' factor. It's quite fun and easier than M1 - you tend to get a lot of 'standard' questions in exams (a smooth sphere of mass m is moving with speed v...a girl is riding her bicycle up a rough hill, inclined at an angle theta from the horizontal...you know the type).

Ben
Whats Mechanics 1 like on AQA Syllabus B?

Is it hard, and how long does it take to do the module, providing i work very hard at it?
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben.S.)

Ben
Statistics doesn't bore me, no Maths does these days. That's not a problem.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads