This discussion is closed.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
You going for Maths Lou?
and psychology (JH), which means i only have to do the interesting modules + can avoid non-psychology stats completely (i really like pure, but everything else is silly).

lou xxx
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have a GCSE in all that (Statistics), it only took me two terms to learn it and the hardest part was only the corellation coefficients. So easy!

I'm concerned that M2 will prepare me better for university level Maths because some universities have a high physics content in their Maths courses. Am I right to worry? Or is S2 just as valuable?
M2 is MUCH more valuable than S2 if you want to take Maths at uni.... stats is just alot of formulas, and mechanics will help you out alot since the ideas you use will be present in more parts of your maths course than the statistics ideas.

however, if you need a good 6th module to get an A, take S2 - but beware the boredom factor - it's very tedious and you have to explain alot of things in waffle. If you've got good enough grades not to worry however, i'd go for M2 since it helps you more with maths generally, and is more interesting.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
and psychology (JH), which means i only have to do the interesting modules + can avoid non-psychology stats completely (i really like pure, but everything else is silly).

lou xxx
Didn't know that. So there's another mathematician I know of (well, half)...

RE your sig, what's happening?
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Didn't know that. So there's another mathematician I know of (well, half)...
where you applied to?

lou xxx
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
RE your sig, what's happening?
nothing, just felt like taking the p*** out of Ollie...

lou xxx
Juwel
Rep:
?
where you applied to?

lou xxx
See my "Who are you" post, I'm off to find yours.

I noticed Ollie's, what's his game?
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
See my "Who are you" post, I'm off to find yours.

I noticed Ollie's, what's his game?
it's all a big secret... it's probably nothing- i reckon he is going to give in and tell me though.

what's your first choice?

lou xxx
Juwel
Rep:
?
it's all a big secret... it's probably nothing- i reckon he is going to give in and tell me though.

what's your first choice?

lou xxx
Manchester, now that Cambridge have said no. With your grades you can do better than Dundee (much like my folks believe I could do better than Manchester) but we have our reasons I suppose.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Manchester, now that Cambridge have said no. With your grades you can do better than Dundee (much like my folks believe I could do better than Manchester) but we have our reasons I suppose.
i chose Dundee before i got my offer- it's only so low cos i'm going in the 1st year (i could have gone into 2nd). You know when you visit somewhere and just think you can live there for 4 years? that's what i was like with dundee. they're a growing uni with a lot of money ebign invested and i loved the maths department.

lou xxx
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
IMO Stats is confusing and really boring. Mechanics makes sense.
Juwel
Rep:
?
So Statistics it is. I was thinking that initially as S1 was/is such a breeze. Though 4Ed did make scary points regarding Mechanics. But then Manchester want to see two As from me so it looks like they don't want me to push too hard.

So my A-Level Maths studies look like this:

A-Level Maths: P1, P2, P3, S1 andthe best two grades of Methods, D1 or M1.
AS Further Maths: P6, S2 and the worst of the three.

Already have As in Methods, P1 and D1, confident of As in M1 and S1. So it's three Pure modules and S2 I have to worry about.
Juwel
Rep:
?
i chose Dundee before i got my offer- it's only so low cos i'm going in the 1st year (i could have gone into 2nd). You know when you visit somewhere and just think you can live there for 4 years? that's what i was like with dundee. they're a growing uni with a lot of money ebign invested and i loved the maths department.

lou xxx
You're happy going there and that's all that counts, so best of luck to you.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So Statistics it is. I was thinking that initially as S1 was/is such a breeze. Though 4Ed did make scary points regarding Mechanics. But then Manchester want to see two As from me so it looks like they don't want me to push too hard.

So my A-Level Maths studies look like this:

A-Level Maths: P1, P2, P3, S1 andthe best two grades of Methods, D1 or M1.
AS Further Maths: P6, S2 and the worst of the three.

Already have As in Methods, P1 and D1, confident of As in M1 and S1. So it's three Pure modules and S2 I have to worry about.
ummm do you mind if I ask what your module results are? because there's a certain flexibility about modules which means they can be shuffled..... S2/M2 CAN be put into single maths as well you know. so it doesn't matter if you mess that one up too much.

you could also consider learning the M2 material, but not taking the exam...
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by 4Ed)
ummm do you mind if I ask what your module results are? because there's a certain flexibility about modules which means they can be shuffled..... S2/M2 CAN be put into single maths as well you know. so it doesn't matter if you mess that one up too much.

you could also consider learning the M2 material, but not taking the exam...
I suppose I'll pick some of the M2 up if I'm interested. Three of the class is doing M2 and two of us (including myself) are doing S2. The way I typed it is the way my teacher told me the modules would be arranged, he's the examinations officer and works for AQA I think so he's a very reliable source.

Methods: 93/100
D1: 85/100 (resat it yesterday)
P1: 80/100 (considering a June resit)
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I suppose I'll pick some of the M2 up if I'm interested. Three of the class is doing M2 and two of us (including myself) are doing S2. The way I typed it is the way my teacher told me the modules would be arranged, he's the examinations officer and works for AQA I think so he's a very reliable source.

Methods: 93/100
D1: 85/100 (resat it yesterday)
P1: 80/100 (considering a June resit)
ok well in that case you're better off plumping for S2. you don't have a great deal of leeway for a slightly lower grade (no offence).
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by 4Ed)
ok well in that case you're better off plumping for S2. you don't have a great deal of leeway for a slightly lower grade (no offence).
None taken, I'm quite proud of my results considering incredibly little effort was applied to get them. Will up the ante this time.
Tina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
wheres the neither option
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tina)
wheres the neither option
It's not an option I'm afraid
Tina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's not an option I'm afraid
awww shame....by the way what is discrete? the other day someone was talking about it.,....so what you have to hide away and do maths?
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
awww shame....by the way what is discrete? the other day someone was talking about it.,....so what you have to hide away and do maths?
shhhhh don't tell anyone.

lou xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads