The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1
There's a Sainsburys on Tottenham Court Road and a Waitrose in the Brunswick Centre. If you're in one of the camden halls then there's a really big Sainsburys on Camden Road. You can buy household things in larger supermarkets or in places like Argos, I think there's one on Tottenham Court Road too.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
The two biggest supermarket (="grocery stores") chains present in London are Tesco and Sainsbury's. In the UK as a whole, Asda and Morrison's are also major players but they both have virtually no branches in central London (there is a Morrison's in Camden). The smaller chain Waitrose is also present in London.
Basically, Waitrose is often considered to be the most expensive but also the best in terms of quality. Personally, I don't think it is significantly more expensive if you stick to buying "normal" items - it just has a greater choice of more expensive goods that can end up somehow falling in your shopping basket. Sainsbury's is probably the next best, followed by Tesco. Tesco has smaller "Express" branches all over the place, these tend to be more expensive than the larger Tesco Metro and regular Tesco branches. Note, however, that there are few large branches of any of the supermarket chains in the centre of London. Waitrose in the Brunswick Centre is a good size however. Otherwise, if you live in Frances Gardner/Langton Close or James Lighthill, the large Sainsbury's at Angel is an option. Waitrose's fresh produce is very good. Tesco's ready prepared food is next to inedible in my opinion.
As Miss World said, Argos is good for cheap household stuff. Also, you can do a trip to Ikea to if you want. You can take the tube from Kings Cross to Tottenham Hale and get a bus from there to Ikea in Edmonton. It's not too difficult a journey.

Latest

Trending

Trending