cripes, multivariable calculus Watch

This discussion is closed.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
greetings from pennsylvania. id just like to share with you all how hard my maths lessons here are lol. i completed alevel maths at college and got an A... but it seems im in a class that has done the stuff in further maths and is doing stuff even harder :eek: doing double integrals over irregular areas at the moment; beyond FM yes?

and now the teacher has emailed me asking to come to the maths competition tonight heh ill show them just how much i know :rolleyes:
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by edders)
doing double integrals over irregular areas at the moment; beyond FM yes?

:
Not beyond, just not included.
not1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Not beyond, just not included.
still challenging though. ah well, just as well i like to use my noggin.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
still challenging though. ah well, just as well i like to use my noggin.
Integrating over multiple integrals and variables isn't that bad, usually they're seperable, or easily distinguishable. 'Tis a bit beyond further maths though, not by much though.

Vector calc' that kind of derives from it should be easily beyond a-level though!

Alaric.
way2go
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
I am at university (second year right now), and I must say that vector calculus and double integrals, surface integrals and so on is basically first year stuff. Add to that linear algebra (matrix calculations), introduction to differential equations, and Series calculus, and you have pretty much covered all of the first year mathematics! So it doesn't hurt if you have already seen it.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
greetings from pennsylvania. id just like to share with you all how hard my maths lessons here are lol. i completed alevel maths at college and got an A... but it seems im in a class that has done the stuff in further maths and is doing stuff even harder :eek: doing double integrals over irregular areas at the moment; beyond FM yes?

and now the teacher has emailed me asking to come to the maths competition tonight heh ill show them just how much i know :rolleyes:

well ive no idea what your talking about....

love Katy ***
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Haven't done them yet, but I know I'll be doing multiple integrals this term. Good luck, innit .
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Haven't done them yet, but I know I'll be doing multiple integrals this term. Good luck, innit .
Have you done your exams, yet?

This question stands for anyone doing Maths degrees at Uni.
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I'm not doing Maths, doing Physics . Haven't had exams yet though.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Ok, sorry!

When are your exams?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
ive got an exam on friday looking to see what i have learnt in the first term. and im supposed to berevising right now. but im typing on my keyboard
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok, sorry!

When are your exams?
Exams are all in June. How's Maths and have you had exams?
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
ive got an exam on friday looking to see what i have learnt in the first term. and im supposed to berevising right now. but im typing on my keyboard
Good luck! What did you do last term?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Good luck! What did you do last term?
its not a proper exam, it doesnt count towards anything, and you dont get penalised if you fail, its just for the tutors to see how well you are coping.

last term we did:
physics - mechanics, special relativity, and circuit theory
maths - calculus (mainly partial derivation), complex numbers, vectors and matrices.
way2go
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
Is this the so-called collection, in which tutors test what you have been doing during the holidays? In that case i wish you good luck.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by way2go)
Is this the so-called collection, in which tutors test what you have been doing during the holidays? In that case i wish you good luck.
is it important then?
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
its not a proper exam, it doesnt count towards anything, and you dont get penalised if you fail, its just for the tutors to see how well you are coping.

last term we did:
physics - mechanics, special relativity, and circuit theory
maths - calculus (mainly partial derivation), complex numbers, vectors and matrices.
Simlar stuff here, though we're doing circuits this term. Also did quantum mechanics and optics and waves last term. We don't do matrices till 2nd year.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Exams are all in June. How's Maths and have you had exams?
We get exams in January and I have four coming up.
It's been OK, but some new bits have been tough.
Next year is going to be impossible; when all topics are new!
Sir I. Newton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Have a quick look at the syllabus for OCR MEI Pure 6, that includes multivariable and vector calculus, though nothing like the div and curl but it does include grad. Once you can grasp the physical quantities of double/treble integrals and surface integrals and those of the div and curl, theres hardly anything more left in mainstream calculus.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

done 4, got 4 in a week and a half's time...

love Katy ***
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
33.33%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
16.67%
No- I want it (3)
50%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads