Aberdeen medical school course.... Watch

bindy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey guys

So i was looking at the aberdeen medical school website....and it said that they were fully systems-based. I get that....BUT does that mean that there will be loads of lectures, or a more PBL style?
bindy
Rep:
?
Anyone!?!?
munro90
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I believe that means quite a lecture based system with practicals to support the teaching on each system in turn: anatomy, then pharmacology etc. PBL would be more a "situation" based course with all the different systems integrated together for each 'problem'
Sambo2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bindy)
Hey guys

So i was looking at the aberdeen medical school website....and it said that they were fully systems-based. I get that....BUT does that mean that there will be loads of lectures, or a more PBL style?
it means that you look at eg cardiovascular for a semester then respiratory, then Gastro etc..

within these blocks you examine all the pharmocalogy, anatomy, physiology, pathology etc of that system rather than studying those subjects indepently if that makes sense - Aberdeen is a lecture based course - not PBL. The systems bit deosn't tell you this, you can have a system's based PBL course, but aberdeen is a rather traditional systems course
jimbo139
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
systems-based means that rather than teaching pharmacology, anatomy, embryology, physiology etc as separate and self-contained subjects, they are trying to make sure that when you study each body system (cardiovascular, neuro, GI etc) all these elements will be brought together so that you can more easily understand the links between the different subjects.

It could conceivably be taught by either small group or lecture-based teaching, although lectures would be somewhat easier. Most medical school these days use a range of approaches including lectures, practicals & PBL. Effective self-directed learning is by a mile the most important thing anyway.
Caponester
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Glasgow is the only PBL driven course in Scotland. All other courses are lecture driven with elements of PBL.
bindy
Rep:
?
the only problem with aberdeen for me...is that only about 20% of their stdents can do the intercalated BSc :\
ThisLittlePiggy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bindy)
the only problem with aberdeen for me...is that only about 20% of their stdents can do the intercalated BSc :\
Not really an issue seeing as not many people want to do one. Everyone who did apply this year got on the programme.
bindy
Rep:
?
does aberdeen medical school prefer scottish students to non-scotish?
as in...are they more likely to select a scottish student compared to an english one?
ThisLittlePiggy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bindy)
does aberdeen medical school prefer scottish students to non-scotish?
as in...are they more likely to select a scottish student compared to an english one?
They do not appear to favour students of any kind. In fact, I believe that no establishment in the UK can discriminate in such a way.

With that said, the majority of students are Scottish but I suspect this is due to the fact that the University is in the far north easterly corner of Scotland and too far away from home for many prospective students.
MoTheMedic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I love the fact that Aberdeen is eight hours away from where I live. Are there many English students at Aberdeen?
ThisLittlePiggy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MoTheMedic)
I love the fact that Aberdeen is eight hours away from where I live. Are there many English students at Aberdeen?
Yes, there are plenty! Two of my medic flatmates are English.
bindy
Rep:
?
i'm thinking aberdeen is very competitive though...because all the people up north wants to go there....
right?
ThisLittlePiggy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bindy)
i'm thinking aberdeen is very competitive though...because all the people up north wants to go there....
right?
I am not sure about that one, but you'll have as good a shot here as you would anywhere if not slightly better.

Aberdeen, doesn't tend to be so stringent with making your grades: if you miss them they may still let you in. It isn't an exaggeration to say that the finest people I know here in Aberdeen failed to make their offer.

Heck, even the Medsoc president from a years back missed an offer.
WishIHadRevised
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does Aberdeen have a UKCAT cut off?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.24%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.73%
No, but I want to start (169)
35.5%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.53%
No, I chose not to (138)
28.99%