Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am not pleased by proper writing but sensible remarks. Your remark proved your immaturity as clearly as it identified "mine". It is ironic that a 14 year old can speak better English than one such as you.

ReputationRep:
    anyway ... what is wrong with wykehamists?

I assure you they will be more charming than etonians and harrovians, who are often arrogant and vain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meerkat)
    I am not pleased by proper writing but sensible remarks. Your remark proved your immaturity as clearly as it identified "mine". It is ironic that a 14 year old can speak better English than one such as you.
    u can't speak english, u r wierd girl - u act like ur trying too hard, relax - life isn't all about meeting etonians-if ur clever enough u might be able to get into cambridge where i'm going and there's sure to be lots of etonians for you to salivate over kiddo (i look forward to your reply...one does not feel...indeed...) he he, oh yeh can't u find ne etonians where u live? actually don't bother replying - i can't be bothered to read ur snobish response!

ReputationRep:
    since when is it sensible to have an obsession with eton guys when you live on the other side of the world?!

ReputationRep:
    First, I do know Etonians. Second, I find you obscene. All the Etonians I have met are perfectly charming gentlemen and not the arrogant vain people you potray them to be. I speak like this normally, I do not wish to corrupt my command of the language talking in net speak. So please, sod off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meerkat)
    First, I do know Etonians. Second, I find you obscene. All the Etonians I have met are perfectly charming gentlemen and not the arrogant vain people you potray them to be. I speak like this normally, I do not wish to corrupt my command of the language talking in net speak. So please, sod off.
    My dear i saw a programme on Etonians very recently and it is their boarding-school syndrome which actually makes them either very oikish and raucous or totally inhibited- i think u'll find the most decadent and ignorant people are at the top end of the social scale - ergo Etonians are far from gentlemen especially when some are the product of incest

ReputationRep:
    How do the posh school perform academically? Anyone know where they've appeared in the published league tables?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    How do the posh school perform academically? Anyone know where they've appeared in the published league tables?

pretty high up i can imagine - most of them end up at oxford and cambridge just because they come from there and have a gr8 education

ReputationRep:

It depends. Some of the posh schools aren't terribly academic (harrow, eton) partly because they don't have their own entrance exam and instead use the Common Entrance - I expect they are still in the top 40.

Other posh schools are very academic (winchester, westminster) and regularly come in the top 5. Winchester has its own entrance exam, which is far more challenging than the Common Entrance.

ReputationRep:
    Is this the overall league table for A level http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...evel_nat_1.stm

It doesn't look right to me, have I found the right one? I can't find any posh schools near the top :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Strange, I can't find any of them in the first two pages of the GCSE one too :confused:

I think I've lost my sense of reading. Can someone confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    Strange, I can't find any of them in the first two pages of the GCSE one too :confused:

I think I've lost my sense of reading. Can someone confirm this?

These are the Department of Education figures and are not based solely on A-level results - they combine them with some test results that aren't taken at independent schools.

The guardian's tables are more accurate. http://education.guardian.co.uk/alev...780878,00.html

You will see towards the bottom links to the tables for comprehensive schools and private schools. For some reason they do not offer a combined table. However, you can see that the top 8 private schools have higher scores than any of the comprehensives. In the private school table you should notice a number of "posh schools" - Winchester, Westminster, Radley, Charterhouse, Rugby towards the top. Eton and Harrow are further down however.

ReputationRep:
    Which test results are included in these tables then? I though it was just A and AS levels?

Oooops

ReputationRep:
    The A/AS-level shows the average point score per student at the end of two years' study. On the bar, "top" is 520 points.

This year for the first time the Department for Education has included points from the "key skills" tests everyone has to do - so comparisons cannot be made with previous years.
    from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3382903.stm

these so called "key skills" tests are not sat by everyone ... i certainly have never sat them.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, sorry lol

What effect would key skills have on the results then? And why aren't the posh schools still up there whilst lots of less-posh independent school who also don't do key skills up there too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    It depends. Some of the posh schools aren't terribly academic (harrow, eton) partly because they don't have their own entrance exam and instead use the Common Entrance - I expect they are still in the top 40.

Other posh schools are very academic (winchester, westminster) and regularly come in the top 5. Winchester has its own entrance exam, which is far more challenging than the Common Entrance.
    you will find that Eton ranks ONLY in the top 40 because it has a larger and less selective intake than Winchester... Eton educates over 250 people per year - look at the schools in the top 10 - most only have 100 in the school year. I happen to know that over 160 people of those 250 etonians last year got 3As or more in their AS levels - if you just picked them out, Eton would definitely be right up there with the others. But Eton aren't as academically selected as the others - it's purpose is more to provide a rounded education rather than appear high in a league table.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    But Eton aren't as academically selected as the others - it's purpose is more to provide a rounded education rather than appear high in a league table.

you seem to imply that schools such as Winchester don't provide a rounded education. I have friends at Eton, and it certainly seems their classes are more exam orientated. In fact, Winchester has a class known as 'Div' which is not examined at all. There are usually 6 classes a week in which your 'Div Don' can teach the class whatever interests him/her. In these classes I have learnt all kinds of things .... from greek tragedies, russian literature to the american constitution, to name a few.

Our headmaster, whilst a ****, sums it up quite well ...

(Original post by winchestercollege.org)
    Our pupils are lucky to enjoy fine teachers and it is a privilege for our teachers to have fine pupils. Success in examinations is one consequence of this, but we think it more important to encourage boys to love learning, and to take a broad view of an education which should last a lifetime. Music, Sport, Drama and the Arts are no less worth cultivating because they are extracurricular activities; nor are books any less worth reading because they may not form part of a syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    you seem to imply that schools such as Winchester don't provide a rounded education. I have friends at Eton, and it certainly seems their classes are more exam orientated. In fact, Winchester has a class known as 'Div' which is not examined at all. There are usually 6 classes a week in which your 'Div Don' can teach the class whatever interests him/her. In these classes I have learnt all kinds of things .... from greek tragedies, russian literature to the american constitution, to name a few.

Our headmaster, whilst a ****, sums it up quite well ...
    I don't mean to imply anything about Winchester... as far as I can remember though, Winchester let pupils take GCSEs very early, and several AS levels during their actual GCSE year - giving them A) a larger number of A-Levels B) more experience by the time they get to university interviews C) a chance to retake any AS/A2 modules early.
    Eton does have similar 'extracurricular divs' - they have to take Divinity where they learn about various ethics and topical issues, and they have Options classes, where they can learn anything from cookery to creative writing - almost anything that can be provided. There are a great deal of external societies as well - from the usual debating, to rare ones such as the Cheese tasting society and book binding society. The satirical society (I was told proudly by my friend) managed to call in guest speakers such as Ian Hislop, and a great many other well known figures (Tara PT, Uri Gellar, other politicians etc) have spoken there. There are two orchestras at Eton, as well as a chamber orchestra, wind band, and many smaller ensembles, not to mention the famous choir. There is a great deal of sport involved as well, although I presume this would be the same for any public school. IMO Eton is arguably the best at providing a rounded education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    IMO Eton is arguably the best at providing a rounded education.

Stonyhurst has a rare breeds sanctuary. Top that. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Stonyhurst has a rare breeds sanctuary. Top that. lol.
    LoL what kind of rare breeds do you have?

My friend never told me about the Eton 'near extinct animals' wildlife park, else I'd be bragging

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.