Etonians and Harrovians, Look here Watch

This discussion is closed.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
LoL what kind of rare breeds do you have?

My friend never told me about the Eton 'near extinct animals' wildlife park, else I'd be bragging

God knows. I know there are rabbits there though, not sure how rare they are though : )
pkonline
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
you will find that Eton ranks ONLY in the top 40 because it has a larger and less selective intake than Winchester... Eton educates over 250 people per year - look at the schools in the top 10 - most only have 100 in the school year. I happen to know that over 160 people of those 250 etonians last year got 3As or more in their AS levels - if you just picked them out, Eton would definitely be right up there with the others. But Eton aren't as academically selected as the others - it's purpose is more to provide a rounded education rather than appear high in a league table.
I'm sure if you picked out the brightest then of course Eton's position, like averyone elses, would be improved
Meerkat
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Perhaps I phrased what I wanted to say wrongly. We shouldnt be stereotyping Etonians. I guess, some are obnoxious, arrogant and vain while others are charming and gentlemanly. The two I have met are terrific and they too agree some Etonians can be snobbish. I apologise if I have offended any of you! I'll try not to be so superficial in future. I like Eton and that's my opinion. I wouldnt force anyone into it.
shooloflaw
Report 16 years ago
Hi everyone,

I really can not understand the obsession with Eton that people here have demonstrated. It is simply a school. Why not concentrate on your own lives rather than pondering the lives of others?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shooloflaw)
Hi everyone,

I really can not understand the obsession with Eton that people here have demonstrated. It is simply a school. Why not concentrate on your own lives rather than pondering the lives of others?
Very good point. Its these SIngaporian types that love Etonians, me I just think they are non rugby playing pansies.
shooloflaw
Report 16 years ago
Did you read the title of my last post? Plus, you're school is the top rugby school in the country? yet... i've never heard of it. enlighten me.
Meerkat
It's Singaporean. And stuff it, Joey Johns. What's wrong with liking Eton?
Meerkat
Shooloflaw, you go to Eton?
sixthirtythree
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There's nothing wrong with obsessing over Eton - I think I harboured such an infatuation at one point (bear in mind this may have been when I was eight). I'm about twenty miles away from Eton and my school regularly tops Eton in the league tables (we're a state school too ).

Eton have also come to some of our Classical Association's Latin/Greek Reading Competitions. Not sure what the result was as I was not personally present.

Having also visited Eton, I was not very impressed. I think that if I was to choose any school to obsess over, it would be either Westminster School or St. Paul's School, both in London. Purely because they are ranked so consistently in the top five in the country, and Westminster gets about 40% of their pupils into Oxbridge :rolleyes:

I believe that's very slightly better than Eton
Meerkat
(Original post by deianra)
There's nothing wrong with obsessing over Eton - I think I harboured such an infatuation at one point (bear in mind this may have been when I was eight). I'm about twenty miles away from Eton and my school regularly tops Eton in the league tables (we're a state school too ).

Eton have also come to some of our Classical Association's Latin/Greek Reading Competitions. Not sure what the result was as I was not personally present.

Having also visited Eton, I was not very impressed. I think that if I was to choose any school to obsess over, it would be either Westminster School or St. Paul's School, both in London. Purely because they are ranked so consistently in the top five in the country, and Westminster gets about 40% of their pupils into Oxbridge :rolleyes:

I believe that's very slightly better than Eton
Yep, I'm sure you have a really cool school Deianra! The reason why Eton is ranked lower than the other schools you've mentioned is because of their larger intake, I believe. There is a wider gap between the capabilities of the students. Of course, there are those who are less clever and those who are brilliant bloody geniuses. The smart are REALLY smart and the less smart just don't stand on par with them. I'm sure parents don't send their sons to Eton solely to achieve academic excellence. I'm certain grammar schools can bring the same results and state schools too possibly. In my opinion, public schools provide their pupils with a platform to excel in many areas such as sports and societies. With the amount of money their boarders pay, they can afford top-class facilities to facilitate such a need. Thus, studying at a public school such as Eton gives one a well rounded education.

And yes, I agree that there are bad eggs in the lot. Arrogant, snobbish, toffish fellas. But let's not use them as stereotypes. There are impeccably charming young men in these schools as well. I've met several very very nice Etonians. They are the reasons for my infatuation. Who knows, it may wear off sometime someday. But for now, I'm contented with it.

P.S, I also heard that Etonians usually do better at Cambridge than their contemporaries. This is just an assumption from what i've heard, so no offence made.

Cheerio,
R/M
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads