Turn on thread page Beta

Is an Oxbridge rejection really the end? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is an oxbridge rejection really the end if you want to become an academic?

If it's any consolation to anyone who had an oxbridge rejection; try and look at it like this. One thing i noticed when i had my interview at cambridge was that none of the 4 interviewers i saw had actually attained their BA's from Oxbridge. They too were probably rejects like us. If someone is talented, as many rejects with a string of A's and often great tenacity often are, then you may still end up there. This is just the first step on the road, if you are looking to be an academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perdurabo)

If it's any consolation to anyone who had an oxbridge rejection; try and look at it like this. One thing i noticed when i had my interview at cambridge was that none of the 4 interviewers i saw had actually attained their BA's from Oxbridge. They too were probably rejects like us. If someone is talented, as many rejects with a string of A's and often great tenacity often are, then you may still end up there. This is just the first step on the road, if you are looking to be an academic.
    The whole world doesn't do to Oxbridge, there are other good unis too.

ReputationRep:

Absolutely right... and the world did not begin in England either. I think I might start another thread about the oldest university in the world...it certainly isn't Oxford...more like in the middle east ,,,,and good luck with your academia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bond)
    Absolutely right... and the world did not begin in England either. I think I might start another thread about the oldest university in the world...it certainly isn't Oxford...more like in the middle east ,,,,and good luck with your academia.

I think the oldest uni in the world is in Cairo! Within England it's Oxford. Scotland-St Andrews. La Sorbonne is also pretty old!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    I think the oldest uni in the world is in Cairo! Within England it's Oxford. Scotland-St Andrews. La Sorbonne is also pretty old!

In Ireland, it's Trinity College Dublin (1503 or something) and in Belgium, Louvain (or Leuven depending on your nationality) is also 1200 or so. I think we all get the drift. We shouldn't be national-centric!! Insularity is stoopid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bond)
    In Ireland, it's Trinity College Dublin (1503 or something) and in Belgium, Louvain (or Leuven depending on your nationality) is also 1200 or so. I think we all get the drift. We shouldn't be national-centric!! Insularity is stoopid.
    I just quoted the one's that I knew, , that's all!

ReputationRep:
    To answer the question above

No!

There are plenty of other good universities, even in England.

Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Edinburgh...

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are doomed, go find some rope and a willing tree.

ReputationRep:
    true

ReputationRep:
    No, and I cant believe anyone who is intelligent enough to apply to Oxbridge could be so narrow minded.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the end.

ReputationRep:
    One of the tutors who interviewed me got his BA from Salford. Some students respond well to GCSEs and A-levels, others really only develop at university - just because you have 6 As at A-level and an offer to read Law or Medicine at Oxbridge does not automatically make you are a better scholar than someone with 3Cs and an offer from Bath Spa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tealer)
    Yes you are doomed, go find some rope and a willing tree.
    ouch, that's harsh. It's just some poor ill-informed 6th former looking for some helpful comment.

No, it’s not the end, infact it’s nowhere near the end, you’re not really at any disadvantage either. If you get into any of the other top research institutions and are able to achieve a first class honours, you’re almost certain of being able to get onto a highly respected graduated school. It’s from there that your academic career will effectively begin. Also, do bear in mind that there are research departments outside Oxbridge that carry far greater prestige than what’s inside.

ReputationRep:
    Not particularly relevant, but just in case anyone was interested, the oldest official university in the world is ‘the Academy’ in Athens (which doesn’t actually exist anymore), but it was founded by Plato in something like 200 BC for mathematicians and logicians (branching to Philosophy but it wasn’t called that in those days). Over the door of the Academy was written:-

Let no one unversed in geometry enter here

Plato's Academy flourished until 529 AD when it was closed down by the Christian Emperor Justinian who claimed it was a pagan establishment. Having survived for 900 years it is the longest surviving university known.

ReputationRep:
    well there's always the ivy league universities like harvard. just kidding.
    Well i found that one of my interviewers went to harvard and the other studied in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:

i don't think oxbridge is the end! I got rejected from Caius (Cambridge) for medicine...not boasting or anything...i think it is their loss that they wouldn't have me in their academic year 2004...i can count many Nobel laureates who actually have not been to oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    No, and I cant believe anyone who is intelligent enough to apply to Oxbridge could be so narrow minded.
    Sorry, i think you'll find that i was saying that it wasn't the end. I was trying to help those who think that it may be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nodabooper)
    i don't think oxbridge is the end! I got rejected from Caius (Cambridge) for medicine...not boasting or anything...i think it is their loss that they wouldn't have me in their academic year 2004...i can count many Nobel laureates who actually have not been to oxbridge!
    However, I can count many who have, and also ivy league schools. Not trying to counter your argument but i thought i'd just state the facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theECONOMIST)
    However, I can count many who have, and also ivy league schools. Not trying to counter your argument but i thought i'd just state the facts.
    if you are really interested in it...i would advice you to go to the official nobel prize website...coz i think even you would be enlightened!

ReputationRep:
    Where you go as an undergraduate doesn't actually matter as much as people make out. There is a fellow in English in my college who was a professional ballerina until she was injured in her mid-twenties and had to give it up. She then did a degree from the Open University, gained entry to Oxford as a DPhil student and then worked her way right up to fellowship level. It's a really amazing story.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.