Is an Oxbridge rejection really the end? Watch

This discussion is closed.
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No!

I applied to Oxford and was rejected but was quite relieved because I didn't really want to go!
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oxbridge rejection is probably the best thing that can happen.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cacambo)
One of the tutors who interviewed me got his BA from Salford. Some students respond well to GCSEs and A-levels, others really only develop at university - just because you have 6 As at A-level and an offer to read Law or Medicine at Oxbridge does not automatically make you are a better scholar than someone with 3Cs and an offer from Bath Spa.
The higher I climb up the education ladder the better I seem to get. I lot of my problem is I did not have the confidence to do well at school so I just got 5 C's and 4'Ds. At college I gained confidence in m my AVCE got an AB and also took AS business studies in the second year and got a B.

I am not doing quite well at uni now (Salford funnily though) and unless I am very unlucky I should get a 2:1 which only 50% of students get a 2:1 or higher.

I already seem to have a job offer too.
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Oxbridge rejection is probably the best thing that can happen.

How does that work, just out of sheeeeer curiosity?
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
How does that work, just out of sheeeeer curiosity?
Erm in my logic it works quite simply, maybe a person's life was not supposed to involve Cambridge. Now I don't believe in fate or destiny or anything, I am the master of my own destiny. But maybe since I sort of manipulated it away from Cambridge that's the best road for me.

And another point: someone who isn't cut out for Oxbridge (and would hence be rejected) would be struggling and wasting their time if they were allowed to get in there. They pick those with most potential who can tkae the intensity and difficulty of study. The above may not apply to all candidates, indeed many able ones may be rejected. That's just how things pan out sometimes, and any form of rejection can only better a person in the long run.

I'm now either a philosophical genius or completely mad. I've been called the latter more than the former so...
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Erm in my logic it works quite simply, maybe a person's life was not supposed to involve Cambridge. Now I don't believe in fate or destiny or anything, I am the master of my own destiny. But maybe since I sort of manipulated it away from Cambridge that's the best road for me.

And another point: someone who isn't cut out for Oxbridge (and would hence be rejected) would be struggling and wasting their time if they were allowed to get in there. They pick those with most potential who can tkae the intensity and difficulty of study. The above may not apply to all candidates, indeed many able ones may be rejected. That's just how things pan out sometimes, and any form of rejection can only better a person in the long run.

I'm now either a philosophical genius or completely mad. I've been called the latter more than the former so...
You dont own a philosophical smoking pipe like Sharlock Homes do you? Cause if you do., if you do we can call you the former rather than the latter.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
You dont own a philosophical smoking pipe like Sharlock Homes do you? Cause if you do., if you do we can call you the former rather than the latter.
I don't smoke. So I'm not completely mad!
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ahhh....Oxbridge, the be all and end all of the acedemic world.

Anyone hoping to be classed as an academic who does not get into one of the "big 2" may aswell give up.

[/sarcasmoff]
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Ahhh....Oxbridge, the be all and end all of the acedemic world.

Anyone hoping to be classed as an academic who does not get into one of the "big 2" may aswell give up.

[/sarcasmoff]
As I read that I noticed you had one grey rep gem, coincidence? Just asking...
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My God if you think that getting rejected from Oxbridge means you wont become an academic then to be honest you honestly don't have the intellectual intuition to be an academic.
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MurphysMoment.)
My God if you think that getting rejected from Oxbridge means you wont become an academic then to be honest you honestly don't have the intellectual intuition to be an academic.
completely agree!!!!!!
Kathryn2021
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Perdurabo)
Is an oxbridge rejection really the end if you want to become an academic?

If it's any consolation to anyone who had an oxbridge rejection; try and look at it like this. One thing i noticed when i had my interview at cambridge was that none of the 4 interviewers i saw had actually attained their BA's from Oxbridge. They too were probably rejects like us. If someone is talented, as many rejects with a string of A's and often great tenacity often are, then you may still end up there. This is just the first step on the road, if you are looking to be an academic.

fair enough cambridge and oxford have amazinf reputations.. but you must also think about it in terms of... 1) the course may not suit what your looking for 2) cambridge and oxford both have their good and bad subjects 3) do you really want to be surrounded by alot of very intelligent people who know this.. which increases pressure/ stress levels 4) that you might get a better all round uni life (bar etc..) elsewhere
gapperslacker
Report 16 years ago
One of the tutors at Magdalen went to Bristol. If you're talented you will do well wherever you go and by being at the top at one university, rather than average at oxbridge, you will shine once it comes to jobs etc. It's your life and you can do whatever you want to do with it (how cheesy is that?!).
Perdurabo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by gapperslacker)
One of the tutors at Magdalen went to Bristol. If you're talented you will do well wherever you go and by being at the top at one university, rather than average at oxbridge, you will shine once it comes to jobs etc. It's your life and you can do whatever you want to do with it (how cheesy is that?!).
Cheesy but true.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
All of the people I know who went on to do Postgraduate studies, went to non-Oxbridge Unis.

There are quite a few incredibly intelligent people that don't want to apply to Oxbridge.
nodabooper
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)

can't u spell Sherlock Holmes!!!
amazing! (JOKE)
londongirl
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i know for sure I don't want to go to oxbridge... i don't want to offend anyone, but I get the image it's full of private school preppy rich kids.....

i might just apply, and IF i can get in, i can boast about having rejected oxford or cambridge

I would rather go to a uni that's near a rather large shopping centre
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by londongirl)
i know for sure I don't want to go to oxbridge... i don't want to offend anyone, but I get the image it's full of private school preppy rich kids.....

i might just apply, and IF i can get in, i can boast about having rejected oxford or cambridge

I would rather go to a uni that's near a rather large shopping centre

In that case stay in London
londongirl
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MurphysMoment.)
In that case stay in London

I forgot to add - far away from home!
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
OHHHH NO....I GOT REJECTED FROM OXFORD...I CANT FIND A JOB NOW....I WILL HAVE TO KILL MYSELF....OHHH NOO...OHHH NOOOO....OHHH YEAHHHHHHH i am messin....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads