Is an Oxbridge rejection really the end? Watch

This discussion is closed.
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by londongirl)
i know for sure I don't want to go to oxbridge... i don't want to offend anyone, but I get the image it's full of private school preppy rich kids.....

i might just apply, and IF i can get in, i can boast about having rejected oxford or cambridge

I would rather go to a uni that's near a rather large shopping centre

Hmm...sorry, but this sort of attitude really ticks me off. I'm referring to you applying and then rejecting purely to boast. Does your life revolve around a certain image, is it really that important for you to boast?

In the process of applying and then rejecting, purely in being able to boast, you will deprive someone who is genuinely seeking to go of a place. Which is very highly considerate.

Luckily, most people that are applying 'semi-seriously' are either found out, or are just ********ting about being semi-serious in the first place and are genuine about going-but just do not like to admit to it due to the fear of rejection.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Would you have the same response if someone filled in lesser Universities, knowing they wouldn't go to them?

I think not.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Would you have the same response if someone filled in lesser Universities, knowing they wouldn't go to them?

I think not.
Rather than to just declare, “I think not”, it’d surely be better to ask. The extent to which I'd be ‘ticked off’ depends on how in demand the particular institution is. If by ‘lesser institution’ you're referring to Thames Valley, of course not. You're not depriving anyone of a place, as the univ. is struggling even to attract applicants.

However, if someone were to apply to say, Imperial Maths, LSE's Econ, and many other cases of very highly competitive courses, knowing with an absolute degree of confidence (this I assume is rare) that under NO circumstances would they wish to attend, then yes...that's either selfish or thoughtless.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)

I think not.
Actually, this I believe has highlighted a major dilemma. I think UCAS ought to discourage people from just filling out each of their 6 choices for the hell of it. Of course, as a means of back up, it's very useful to have even 6 choices. And this is perfectly ok. However, reallllllly, it should consist of universities that you have at least SOME intention of wanting to attend.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hmmm, personally I was happy to get an offer. Not because it was 'Oxford', simply because it was from my first choice uni. If my first choice had ended up being Warwick, I would have been equally happy about getting an offer from them. I can't really claim to understand either the 'The decision will irrevovable change the course of my life for ever, and I'll live in perpetual happiness because of it' or at the same time the, 'well getting rejected is actually better than getting accepted' point of view.

But hmm, meh anyway.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%

Watched Threads