This discussion is closed.
foowise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi all - yesterday I got my AABb offer from Warwick for Economics to go along with my ABB for York. Now I'm in a dilemma. I know Warwick has a fine reputation for Economics, but in the recent Education list (before it got changed today or yesterday!) York and Warwick occupied 2nd and 3rd respectively. Both scored 24 out of 24 for teaching. So I know they're both high quality institutions. What are people's views on comparisons between the two - I know there's no definitive answer to which is the 'best', but if you guys could give some of your views on the two unis it would really help. I've heard Warwick is liked by employers, but is York lagging far behind? Would a degree in economics from York put me automatically behind someone with a degree in economics at Warwick? What about York and Warwick as places? I'm looking for somewhere with a bit of life (we are students after all!) but where it also isn't difficult to put my head down and relax. Essentially, somewhere not too loud nor too quiet.
FYI - I got rejected by Oxford for Econs and Management (but I ain't too down about it really - as one door closes another one opens! And Oxbridge isn't everything!). However, I do have offers from Bristol (AAA), Manchester (BBB) and I'm waiting on Nottingham. But I reckon it's between Warwick, York and perhaps Nottingham (depending if I get an offer and what it is.)
Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foowise)
Hi all - yesterday I got my AABb offer from Warwick for Economics to go along with my ABB for York. Now I'm in a dilemma. I know Warwick has a fine reputation for Economics, but in the recent Education list (before it got changed today or yesterday!) York and Warwick occupied 2nd and 3rd respectively. Both scored 24 out of 24 for teaching. So I know they're both high quality institutions. What are people's views on comparisons between the two - I know there's no definitive answer to which is the 'best', but if you guys could give some of your views on the two unis it would really help. I've heard Warwick is liked by employers, but is York lagging far behind? Would a degree in economics from York put me automatically behind someone with a degree in economics at Warwick? What about York and Warwick as places? I'm looking for somewhere with a bit of life (we are students after all!) but where it also isn't difficult to put my head down and relax. Essentially, somewhere not too loud nor too quiet.
FYI - I got rejected by Oxford for Econs and Management (but I ain't too down about it really - as one door closes another one opens! And Oxbridge isn't everything!). However, I do have offers from Bristol (AAA), Manchester (BBB) and I'm waiting on Nottingham. But I reckon it's between Warwick, York and perhaps Nottingham (depending if I get an offer and what it is.)
I would personally take Warwick as they do have a fine reputation for econ, however it does sound like you would prefer York, so it would be wiser to go where you think you'd be happier.
Also apparently Warwick is situated in the middle of nowhere, so I am assuming the nightlife isn't all that great. Have you visited them?
foowise
Rep:
?
Yeah, I visited Warwick and I have to say I found it a bit quiet. My friends and I were like 'Where's the life?' In contrast, some of my friends went to York for an open day and they loved it and recommended it to me highly. However, I know that a degree from Warwick will be very very helpful in the employment stakes and I'm sure there is a nightlife there, cos otherwise students probably wouldn't go there - no matter how good the courses are. Also Warwick is significantly nearer home than York (I'm a Londoner), but that isn't really the biggest factor IMO.
It's just picking between the two is sooo difficult (as I'm sure a lot of you understand). Any more views on the two would be helpful.
Cheers
Goat
Report 16 years ago
I know Warwick has a fine reputation for Economics, but in the recent Education list (before it got changed today or yesterday!) York and Warwick occupied 2nd and 3rd respectively.
What is the recent education list you refer to?

Have a look at the times list for economics:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

Warwick is 4th
Nottingham 5th
York is 11th
Manchester 13th
Bristol 17th
Goat
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I visited Warwick and I have to say I found it a bit quiet. My friends and I were like 'Where's the life?' In contrast, some of my friends went to York for an open day and they loved it and recommended it to me highly. However, I know that a degree from Warwick will be very very helpful in the employment stakes and I'm sure there is a nightlife there, cos otherwise students probably wouldn't go there - no matter how good the courses are. Also Warwick is significantly nearer home than York (I'm a Londoner), but that isn't really the biggest factor IMO.
It's just picking between the two is sooo difficult (as I'm sure a lot of you understand). Any more views on the two would be helpful.
Cheers
Warwick has the biggest student union in europe so the night life cant be that bad. I would have thought York was quieter.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
Warwick has the biggest student union in europe so the night life cant be that bad. I would have thought York was quieter.
its fairly quiet is york, its a small historic city, nothin big or loud or anythin......
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
either university is superb. just pick the one that u would be most happy at, both degrees are EQUALLY AS GOOD FOR JOB PROSPECTS/DEGREE PRESTIGE.

infact, i thought york may have had the edge, but i think its the same.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
York is the dark horse here, I think it'll become more respected in coming years. I'd choose Warwick personally as it's great for Economics and loved by employers.
Goat
Report 16 years ago
Go for Warwick!!

Im going there! Not for economics though.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
Go for Warwick!!

Im going there! Not for economics though.
You could like, meet up and be best fwiends!
Goat
Report 16 years ago
Are you reading this post footwise?

So what is the recent education list you refer to?
PuffDaddy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! I have yet to be hear from warwick, does this mean my application has been thrown into the bin? Two of my friends were rejected by durham for law the other day (same date) and one guy has yet to hear, also two were rejected from bristol on the same day.
I have offers from Nottingham and Edingburgh, nottingham is my first choice right now, even though i'd choose to go there over warwick its still nice to say you had an offer from, you understand don't you?
foowise
Rep:
?
Yeah, sorry - I was checking out that post where everyone was having a go at TheEconomist. The Education List I referred to was the Education Guardian one - I checked it yesterday and York and Warwick were 2nd and 3rd, but now everything's changed.
From what I read on that other message (the one about the highest paid job) it seems that Warwick is the one to go for in terms of prestige and getting noticed. I intentionally chose not to apply for UCL or LSE cos I didn't want to stay in London, and besides these two and Oxbridge, Warwick is highly regarded as 'just behind'. York doesn't get a look in - does anyone know why York isn't in the Russell Group too? For The Times University of the Year and such a highly regarded one, I find this strange.
Anywayz, more views please!
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, sorry - I was checking out that post where everyone was having a go at TheEconomist. The Education List I referred to was the Education Guardian one - I checked it yesterday and York and Warwick were 2nd and 3rd, but now everything's changed.
From what I read on that other message (the one about the highest paid job) it seems that Warwick is the one to go for in terms of prestige and getting noticed. I intentionally chose not to apply for UCL or LSE cos I didn't want to stay in London, and besides these two and Oxbridge, Warwick is highly regarded as 'just behind'. York doesn't get a look in - does anyone know why York isn't in the Russell Group too? For The Times University of the Year and such a highly regarded one, I find this strange.
Anywayz, more views please!
the russell is group is more a self appointed thing by universities, i assume york decided not to be part of it, as yet its a rather unknown term but i guess as it becomes more well known york and durham(?)will want to join.
theECONOMIST
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Go to Warwick if you can help it, i agree that york one of the better universities (the place isn't my style i must admit) but employment prospects SEEM greater for a warwick economist. I agree with the person who said that york's reputation will become even greater in years to come. But if you want to maximise your prospects i'd say go for warwick. it's up to you.
foowise
Rep:
?
Cool, so the general consensus is Warwick is a better choice for economics than York. With an economics degree from Warwick is it easier (i use this term loosely) to get enrolled on training courses with banking firms than with a York degree? You say employment prospects seem greater for a Warwick economist, does any one have proof of this - y'know, anecdotal evidence? Ideally I'm looking to work in the square mile after i graduate, am i right in saying a Warwick economics degree will be beneficial in helping me acheive this aim?
zero101
Report 16 years ago
I'm waitin 4 warwick and lse but iv got york - eco+finance. also bham bristol and manch
warwick has a better rep with employers - i would def go there

btw - when exactly did u get ur offer? and wat r u predicted for A2, and wat did ug et for gcse?

thx
Saxman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi I am a Warwick Economist and I have to say the teaching is very good (I would say 50% of the lecturers you get will be Oxbridge educated) and the course is extremely well respected by City firms, shown by the number of firms who make presentations at Warwick and the success rate of students in getting internships and jobs in the City.

As far as student life goes, you either love it or hate it. The union has entertainments every evening (right on your doorstep) and societies to suit all possible tastes. The campus itself and on-campus accomodation in the First year is very convenient as everything is all on one site.
It has a real international mix with students all over the globe.

On the negative side, there is an absence of community feel being such a large campus. Plus all the international students tend to be rather cliquey and stick together. The campus is in the middle of nowhere and COventry NOT warwick is ten minutes away. Leamington is very popular for student housing and is a lovely spa town which in terms of the range of shops, bars and restaurants is comparable with London. It is also a rather ugly campus.
foowise
Rep:
?
I got my Warwick offer yesterday when i checked the UCAS tracker online. I think I'm predicted straight As in Economics, Maths and English Lit, altho how I scored in the P3 maths module will certainly have a bearing on whether I get the A! GCSE wise i did alright - 6A*s, 5As and a B (in Chemistry - god, I hated that subject).
Saxman - you say there's an absence of community - how easy was it for you to make new mates - I'm assuming that by joining a few societies (like the Rock society - or the nearest thing to it), it'll be easy to meet new people and make new friends. And what's the accommodation like? I know that cost determines quality - but for a bit more money do you get more space, ensuite, internet connection etc?
Saxman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi foolwise.

RE accommodation: it is a tradeoff between the number of people you meet and the standard of accommodation. Rootes and Westwood are cheapest (note that Westwood includes food) and there are a lot of people in each corridor, and thus you meet lots of people. However the accommodation leaves a lot to be desired. Arthur Vick and Jack Martin accomodation is comparable to a hotel, and you get less people to a kitchen and a bathroom and better and bigger rooms. However the drawback is you meet fewer people.

Re the lack of community, by this I mean that it is such a big campus with so many people that it often feels like you don't really know anyone. People tend to do their own thing and tend to be quite cliquey.
However I am sure that like me you will make lots of friends.

Oh and (here I am presuming you are male) their are some absolutely stunning girls at Warwick, the majority of whom are foreign and very rich.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.8%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (43)
14.48%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (103)
34.68%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.76%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise