Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Whitefields is the cheapest along with Cryfield, Westwood is a rip off, most people still have money left on their cards at the end of the term, which is then lost. Go self catered!

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather be in Cryfield or whitefields?

Which has better quality rooms and which is better socially? Or or they pretty much the same?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that was meant to be a reply to picjus last post.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I've never been inside Cryfield, apparently it's built based on womans prison though. Make of that what you will. I've been in Whitefields, they're quite nice actually, although have a reputation of being scummy. They're little self contained flats for 12 people. Beware though, some of them are less than 6 foot from the union walls, in other words, noisy!

Cryfield will be more social, a hall atmosphere, whereas whitefields is little flats of 12.
    Rooms: Don't know about cryfield, whitefields are average size, they're ok.

Think I'd go Whitefields, but I recommend Jack Martin or Arthur Vick if you can afford it, they're very nice!

ReputationRep:
    I posted this on another thread, I'm applying for Politics, it might help though:

In response to the York/Warwick question I have visited both and did plenty of pre-UCAS research, the conclusions I drew were:

- York course is better, department is stronger, teaching quality much higher
    - Warwick better for social life
    - York nicer place to live (in fact I have to say I absolutely fell in love with York uni when I visited, Warwick didn't strike me in quite the same way
    - Warwick better quality uni overall, more influential, and opens up more opportunies (also, Bill Clinton, for instance, gave a talk there, and Clare Short was speaking last night. Whereas York is not able to pull in any big names)
    - York is 'Univ of the Year' but I think that Warwick is 'going places' more so
    - Warwick has far better facilites

I could probably go on, but you've probably stopped reading by now anyway!

Either way, let me know what you think, and remember that we Politicians have an obligation now to keep this post active!

Thanks,

Tom

ReputationRep:
    Cheers tom - altho i'm guessing that when you say that york's course is better, and the department is stronger, I presume you were referring to your politics course. Don't get me wrong, I know York has a very reputable Economics department, but I think it's common knowledge that Warwick has one of the best economics departments in the UK(up there with oxbridge, LSE and UCL in my opinion). 24/24 for teaching and 5* for research speak for themselves. Seeing as i only applied to oxford (and got rejected) out of those 4 unis, it'd be nice to go to a uni with an economics department that is as good as (perhaps even better) than the ones at the 4 aforementioned institutions .However, I'm glad you say that Warwick does have a nightlife because when I visited for the open day, we saw very few pubs, clubs etc - I can remember going in the first pub we saw - 'The Litten Tree' I think it was, mainly cos it was the first pub we'd seen in the area after having spent most of the day in the area!
    Having said that though, a lot of what I'm hearing about warwick is good stuff, and that fact that the uni can attract big names is even more appealing - but it's still hard to discount york - it is after all 'university of the year'. But, thanks to a lot of your responses, I think the decision is becoming slightly easier.
    Cheers - keep your responses comin.

ReputationRep:
    You were in Coventry then? There's a whetherspoons in earlsdon on the outskirts of cov where students live, there's another pub around there somewhere. Leamington is where most of the pubs are in student areas, - whetherspoons, scream pub, and lots of little ones which are nice. There are loads in the centre of Coventry, they're behind the big shopping centres. There are 7 bars on campus and the union is huge. Birmingham is only 15 mins away on the train. Plenty of night life, although obviously not as much as somewhere like Leeds etc.

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.