Can I get any photo ID without a passport/driving licence? Watch

THRASHx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Ok long story short; I need some photo ID but dont have a provisional driving licence and my passport has expired. I will be applying for a new passport soon but I need more photos and I cant have any new photos until I have my haircut (I have fairly long hair and cant keep it off my face really which means its invalid!?). Without a current passport I cant apply for a provisional licence and I cant apply for any other form of photo ID which is credible i.e. PASS accredited, etc.

Does anyone else have any other ideas? I can last not going clubbing for a while but I just need something to get some cigs or drink from shops. Yes I am 18 but apparently places wont take my expired passport.

Thanks
Cybele
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
An NUS card? Proof of Age card? I'm sure you can buy those now.
Beadle's About
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can get a national ID card, which costs around 30 pounds and you can also use this to travel around Europe instead of a passport.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can still apply for a driving licence without a current passport. They may accept an out of date one.

Driving lcience is the most common acepted ID in the UK and its worth paying the £50 if you have any plans to drive in the future

--------

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...plyA/DG_068016
THRASHx
Rep:
?
Its becoming ridiculous tbh, Student Finance still have my birth certificate. I have no idea when ill be getting that back.

Thanks for the link CL, it seems like the only thing I can use is my birth certificate and my NI card.

Also Beadles About, these ID cards have been phased out this year so I cant get hold of one of those apparently.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can always pay for another copy of your birth certificate if you want

the other plus side about a driving licence is that it should be acceptable id for other things like a new job etc
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't you have the other copy of your birth certificate to apply for a driving licence? You should have a short and long version of it.
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Beadle's About)
You can get a national ID card, which costs around 30 pounds and you can also use this to travel around Europe instead of a passport.
Mine cost £5 I believe.
member327593
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by THRASHx)
Its becoming ridiculous tbh, Student Finance still have my birth certificate. I have no idea when ill be getting that back.

Thanks for the link CL, it seems like the only thing I can use is my birth certificate and my NI card.

Also Beadles About, these ID cards have been phased out this year so I cant get hold of one of those apparently.
Lmao, good luck with SFE and your birth certificate!
Katq
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I always use my bank/debit card (or whatever) for ID, it has my birth date and my photo.
THRASHx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clubber Lang)
You can always pay for another copy of your birth certificate if you want

the other plus side about a driving licence is that it should be acceptable id for other things like a new job etc
Yeah thats what im thinking, it will definitely come in handy again at some point. But then again ill need a new passport too at some point! Regardless, ive paid for my drivers licence so I just need my BC to come back within the next 3 weeks!

(Original post by dhr90)
Don't you have the other copy of your birth certificate to apply for a driving licence? You should have a short and long version of it.
I have no idea, I sent my short one off to SF and I dont know if I have a long one?

(Original post by A100whoo)
Lmao, good luck with SFE and your birth certificate!
Yeah exactly and if it doesnt come back within a few weeks then the application is cancelled and my money is refunded. Why they cant use a photocopy I do not know, its Student Finance FFS - the amount of security measures they use online is ridiculous!

(Original post by Katq)
I always use my bank/debit card (or whatever) for ID, it has my birth date and my photo.
Must be unique to Norway, never seen these in the UK?
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by THRASHx)
I have no idea, I sent my short one off to SF and I dont know if I have a long one?
You should do I believe. I know all my family have them. Might be worth asking your parents. Not something you really want to have missing really...
gordonbenfield
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was fostered at the age of six and take my fostered mums surname and not by depol l have my birth certificate under my birth name and all my other papers under my fostered name lm really finding it hard to get jobs get married a driving license and passport what can l do.
Sowens1981
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't have a passport or a birth certificate what do I use to apply for a provisional licence?
ogslugger
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If I can post this reply without having to pay/join/log on or provide the data miners a zillion authentication details for supposed "security purposes" then you will be okay without any photo id. So let's see. ...
Emmanaidy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not everyone gets the long version in the UK you get the short one free but if you don't have the funds to pay for a long one at the time of registering then you don't get the long one..... if you want a copy of your birth certificate from where I am (West Yorkshire) it's around about 17 pound for the short and over 20 pound for the long one now....
Shelly345
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I need to get photo id to get my money back from Western union they wait give me it back without photo I'd I showed my birth certificate bank card addresses but still no good
Paul2v
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Citizen card. I have one myself.
Paul2v
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Beadle's About)
You can't, I had a national ID card and the current gov has scrapped it so it's not valid for travel nor valid ID for that matter.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hiptick)
My son need a provisional licence but don't have a passport what can he use and send it to get one?
This thread is from 2010 - don't bump old threads!

Your son can use his birth certificate and national insurance letter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.68%
No I am happy with my course choice (518)
59.13%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed